PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which technology will win the 4G race?
LTE 3 6.12%
Wi-Max 40 81.63%
No opinion 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Question LTE vs. Wi-Max

LTE is a future 4G network, much like Wi-Max is being positioned to be.. Do you think that Wi-Max has a chance to successfully compete against LTE as a 4G network?

It seems that Sprint will be the only major U.S. domestic cellular provider to use it as their 4G network.. Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, not to mention pretty much the rest of the world, are planning on using LTE as their 4G network...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:14 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50
Re: LTE vs. Wi-Max

why would sprint do that? cost?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Siflan is keeping up the good workSiflan is keeping up the good work

Pretty much. And bein' that they just landed that deal of theirs, it looks like they're in it for the long haul. I just hope it has lots of success.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
why would sprint do that? cost?
I don't know... I personally wish they had decided to choose LTE as their 4G plans.. That way we could enjoy GSM technology (mainly the usage of SIM cards)...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

trance2002 is becoming a great contributor

Sprint wanted to be first to market and WiMax gave them that. I personally worked on the trial when Sprint was trying to decide which 3G technology to go with. They chose WiMax over a different technology that was technically superior but didn't have the same backing as WiMax (Samsung, Nortel, Intel, etc.) LTE is behind WiMax in maturity but as mentioned all the big vendors will be using it. WiMax will do well globally in small deplyments but Sprint is taking a gamble to grab market share before its really been proven that there is a need for a nationwide wireless boradband network. If you build it will them come?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance2002 View Post
Sprint wanted to be first to market and WiMax gave them that. I personally worked on the trial when Sprint was trying to decide which 3G technology to go with. They chose WiMax over a different technology that was technically superior but didn't have the same backing as WiMax (Samsung, Nortel, Intel, etc.) LTE is behind WiMax in maturity but as mentioned all the big vendors will be using it. WiMax will do well globally in small deplyments but Sprint is taking a gamble to grab market share before its really been proven that there is a need for a nationwide wireless boradband network. If you build it will them come?
Interesting question... And definitely true about wanting to get to market first..
Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

trance2002 is becoming a great contributor

LOL love my typos. Let me try that again... If you build it, will they come? I hope for Sprint's sake they do come.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

ecker2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularecker2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularecker2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i hope WiMax impresses us all.. and that it beats out LTE.. sprint is my carrier and i want to win the race!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
I don't know... I personally wish they had decided to choose LTE as their 4G plans.. That way we could enjoy GSM technology (mainly the usage of SIM cards)...
ah... that is extremely unlikely to happen regardless anyway... gsm is a whole differnt type of technology (not assuming you didnt know this already). if they was to do what you mentioned... then they would have to set up a whole new set of towers to use that are gsm based for their handsets.. while at the same time keeping up with the towers that support cdma phones.. as we all know, they are renting them out as it is anyway lol. as much as we would want that, i seriously doubt that it would ever happen.. even if pigs flew and hell froze over.

samsung 640A --> motorola Q --> sprint touch --> now doin it big with the touch pro... oh so sexy lol
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

savior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to savior02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecker2008 View Post
i hope WiMax impresses us all.. and that it beats out LTE.. sprint is my carrier and i want to win the race!

seems to me the only thing u win is pride until your contract is up than u probably switch because LTE is supposed to be faster than wimax.....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions