PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yahoo Mail (the free one!) direct access on your PPC!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=4499)

budney 05-22-2007 11:32 AM

Yahoo Mail (the free one!) direct access on your PPC!!!

Thanks to JohnnyMac over at TC for this cool tip. :D

The directions are for the 700wx, but if you fallow carefully they should work for any device. My Q is all setup. 8)

Didja know that the new Yahoo Mail beta version - yes, the free one - now has an IMAP backend, so you can set up the account access right on your 700wx? Here's the process:

Caveat - I use Verizon, and played around quite a bit with the server settings, and the ones below, which I think are the default anyway, work fine for me. If you have issues, you're on your own. I'm no server admin guy.

And yes I'll also post this in the WM Communication forum as well, but that place is a dry, dusty barren wasteland over ther.

Yahoo Mail setup on the 700wx:
(for the free Yahoo webmail)

Starting in 'Messaging':

Select Menu/Tools/New Account

Enter your Yahoo email address.
The device will attempt to connect to Yahoo and run the auto-configure process.
Hit 'Next'

Enter your Name
Enter your Yahoo User Name (also called your Yahoo ID) - this is likely already completed for you
Enter your Yahoo password (same as you use to access your free Yahoo account)
Check the box for 'Save Password"

Hit 'Next'

Leave these next settings as they are by default (you can change the account name from 'Yahoo IMAP' to whatever you want - ' My Yahoo', etc.

Hit 'Next'

Leave the settings for Incoming and Outgoing mail alone as well.
Scroll down the navigator and select 'Options'.
Make your choices here as you see fit - check for mail every X minutes, with a max of 60.
Hit 'Next'
If you want more mail on your device, increase the days of mail displayed setting.
Don't check the 'Require SSL connection' box.
Check box the 'Outgoing mail requires authentication' box.

Hit finish and you're done!

If you wish to have your Yahoo subfolders show, do this:

From the Yahoo Inbox view, select:
Menu
Manage Folders
And then navigate up/down to the folders you wish to have shown on your device (hint - use the SPACE BAR to check the folder box - that way you can leave that stylus in its rightful place in the back of the device).

And if you want an email signature, do this, when in 'Messaging'
Menu
Tools
Options
Scroll down with the 5-way and select 'Signatures'
Then select the account(s) for which you wish to set your email signatures. Follow the steps shown.

Repeat as needed for all your mail accounts.

mgioia2 05-22-2007 01:45 PM

Damn nice find!

MojoSwag 05-22-2007 05:34 PM

Hot damn!!!! F'iing righteous find man!

MojoSwag 05-22-2007 07:13 PM

Found out something for all you Sprint users....if you have mail setup via ActiveSync, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CONNECT TO YAHOO WHILE YOUR DEVICE IS LINKED TO THE COMPUTER!!!! Just letting you guys know so you won't run into the same headache that I did.

MojoSwag 05-26-2007 01:41 PM

Is anybody else having problems with this? I set it up and it was working perfectly up until this morning. Now, everytime I try to send a message it keeps asking me for my login name and password and says that it can't connect to the incoming mail server? anyone else experiencing this?

budney 05-26-2007 04:08 PM

I am not having any problems with sending email. I just sent one to my gmail account. :|

MojoSwag 05-26-2007 04:38 PM

did Yahoo find out about that IMAP backend and close it up?

cwest06 06-04-2007 01:01 AM

Now I dont need the Yahoo Go anymore yeaaaaaaa

xarses 06-05-2007 05:31 PM

Nice, but they seem to be filtering what clients connect, as outlook refuses to authenticate. It keeps kicking back invalid password on me. Has any one else tired this?

X

MojoSwag 06-05-2007 07:44 PM

I keep getting that same problem. I finally just gave up. It was nice while it lasted but I don't use my yahoo enough for it to be a loss.