PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
orb and evdo heaven...

Not new news here, many of you know about orb (http://orb.com) but if you've somehow been living in a cave and missed it, I just wanted to put another plug for it here.

The 2.0 version is now getting pretty stable, and is even better then the old 1.0 version. You need a Windows PC, a reasonably fast (uplink) internet connection, and some media to stream. Orb runs as a server on your pc - orb.com (free!) gives you a web page view of that media - you can search, make playlists, etc, and stream the stuff from your home PC to, well, just about any internet connected device that can play Real Media, Windows Media, etc. formats.

On the PPC it works spiffy with tcpmp via the EVDO network. You'll want an unlimited data plan, for sure, as this can burn man GB of data use in a very short time. You'll also want either an extended batter or access to power, you'll be running full out so without some power assist you're looking at 3 hours or so total battery life. I've got an car adapter, so I just run off that if I'm streaming in my car.

My setup: I've got a PC acting as a PVR (running http://gbpvr.com) with 400GB worth of video - I have a Linux box as my home server, it has about 600GB of video and music on it as well. I run a vmware XP virtual image on the linux box to host the orb server, serving all that video and mp3 music.

Today's drive in: Stone Temple Pilots, The Who, Soundgarden... the other day I was watching "Who's Line is it Anyway" while the dentist was cleaning my teeth
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj
the other day I was watching "Who's Line is it Anyway" while the dentist was cleaning my teeth
Very nice! I've got so many videos and stuff I don't have time to watch while I'm at home. I'll have to set this up so I can watch during class and work. Thanks for the info!
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

mcq3000 is a n00b
i gotta disagree, running vista 64 bit orb is anything but stable, especially version 0.873. Sure if I load like 50 mp3s and 50 videos it works super, but once I load/index my 700gb media files it crashes, it freezes and it gives multiple errors when trying to do anything like stream from my pocketpc or use the mycasting feature to stream music onto my xbox. If it worked like it was supposed to with alot of media files it would be awesome but as the number of files go up its stability goes down. And this has been the case since the very first beta of orb 2.0. I really hope they nail this problem once and for all soon so I can start enjoying this awesome program
Old 04-15-2007, 05:44 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq3000
i gotta disagree, running vista 64 bit orb is anything but stable, especially version 0.873. Sure if I load like 50 mp3s and 50 videos it works super, but once I load/index my 700gb media files it crashes, it freezes and it gives multiple errors when trying to do anything like stream from my pocketpc or use the mycasting feature to stream music onto my xbox.
Must be a vista and/or 64 bit issue, I'm running 32 bit xp, and have several thousand mp3s and hundreds of videos (maybe 500 GB total) being served up with no issues.

Hope they get it going for you!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
Re: orb and evdo heaven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj
On the PPC it works spiffy with tcpmp via the EVDO network. You'll want an unlimited data plan, for sure, as this can burn man GB of data use in a very short time.
A word to Verizon customers if you didn't already know:
Verizon's unlimited data plan means you after a couple of gigs worth of data in a month your account will be flagged. If you manage to eat through 5 gigs of data with in a month Verizon will cancel your contract and possibly make you pay the early termination fee!

So if you are on Verizon and use or want to use Orb, I'd highly recommend installing a data monitor program such as SPB's GPRS monitor or PhoneAlarm.

Now if my frigg'n PC would just recognize my MPEG2 decoders so I can actually use my TV tuner....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

JBabey is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to JBabey Send a message via AIM to JBabey Send a message via MSN to JBabey Send a message via Yahoo to JBabey Send a message via Skype™ to JBabey
if they choose to terminate your contract they cant legally charge you a termination fee. Ive heard talk of a class action lawsuit regarding the "unlimited" / limited data plans against verizon, you may want to look into that as well.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions