PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   a "free" tethering question will it work with usb modem(the app) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=37371)

dude1 09-15-2008 09:04 AM

a "free" tethering question will it work with usb modem(the app)

i know there are roms like nfsfans (which im running)and programs that can do it my main question is
anyone try it with usb modem by moblie-stream
i ask because its the first program that will allow you to tether your Windows Mobile phone to Mac OSX via USB connection that i can find anyway.
from what i read its because it uses a cdc driver instead of a rndis and osx is compatible with cdc.

would bell detect that as tether usage?
(if possible i would love a technical or slightly technical response on how these programs elude bells detection)

dude1 09-30-2008 01:03 AM

Re: a "free" tethering question will it work with usb modem(the app)

bump!!

wldthng842 10-01-2008 05:26 PM

The device will typically alter the username of the device when the phone enters tether mode. The trick is to trick the phone into thinking it is not actually tethered and that you are using the web on the device.

dude1 10-03-2008 01:30 PM

i emailed mobile-stream support asking whether it would show up as tethering or not and got told this:
As device data. USB Modem uses the regular on-phone data plan and does not
require (technically) a tethering data plan. This is achieved by keeping
the data plan's NAI.

does that mean anything to anyone?
im not sure what "the data plan's NAI" is
and i also dont know how the differnt tethering "hacks" work

any info is appreciated

wldthng842 10-03-2008 03:33 PM

The device has two NAI's. Basically the NAI is a fancy word for username. Sprint uses @sprintpcs.com and @modem.sprintpcs.com. The @sprint.com is what the device natively uses to access the web and is treated by sprint's billing as your unlimited package. Traditionally when you connect a device to a laptop via USB the device knows to use the @modem.sprintpcs.com username to notify the billing infrastructure that you are being tethered and to charge the account for phone as a modem usage not unlimited usage.

Basically long story short, this program is tricking the device into thinking it is not tethered even though it actually is which means the device will use the @sprint.com username (NAI) and the billing systems will not charge you for tethered data.

I would assume that any company out there would use a similar procedure to identify tethered vs. non-tethered but I have no idea for sure. The @sprint.com and @modem.sprint.com are just examples, your carrier will be different.