PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

peacock93 is keeping up the good workpeacock93 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
evdo speed for tethering 6700 vs broadband card

Hello all,

I have a quick question about Sprints EVDO speed. I know the Sprint site states that the download speed is 600kbs-1.4mbs but via my 6700 tethered to my laptop, with full signal strength, the best I can get is ~ 115kbs. Would a broadband card and separate data plan give me the advertised speed on the Sprint site? I looked all through the Sprint site and could not find anything stating that there are different EVDO speeds in different areas. It only states that you either have it in your area or not.

Thanks for any info. you can send my way,

pea****93
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP
Re: evdo speed for tethering 6700 vs broadband card

Quote:
Originally Posted by pea****93 View Post
Hello all,

I have a quick question about Sprints EVDO speed. I know the Sprint site states that the download speed is 600kbs-1.4mbs but via my 6700 tethered to my laptop, with full signal strength, the best I can get is ~ 115kbs. Would a broadband card and separate data plan give me the advertised speed on the Sprint site? I looked all through the Sprint site and could not find anything stating that there are different EVDO speeds in different areas. It only states that you either have it in your area or not.

Thanks for any info. you can send my way,

pea****93

i've been fighting this issue for months. my area is supposed to be covered by rev.a. even in areas where i have 100% signal strength i'm getting at the most 800kb down. their speeds in my area (southwest florida) are almost laughable. and when you call them for support, none of the techs know anything about anything. it's just absurd.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

rwcj63,

Well at least you're getting speeds 8 times faster than I am. I'm still trying to find out whether there would be a speed difference by using a broadband card vs tethering my 6700. Or if EVDO has different speeds in different areas. Their maps on their site just show whether you have EVDO or not and do not list any speed differences. So I guess that EVDO should be at their advertised speed. I'm probably wrong on this though since I'm only getting ~ 115kbs download speeds through my 6700. It may be a device issue though. I'm not sure what type EVDO the 6700 has. Maybe the 6700 will only download at ~ 115kbs. I don't know and that is why I posted the question.

pea****93
Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

maybe the 6700 doesnt have evdo rev a?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

gsvnet is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
maybe the 6700 doesnt have evdo rev a?
Even then, it should get higher speeds than that.

I'm usually able to get upwards of 750-1500kbps. I think the main difference is that certain areas will not have rev. a (but you should still get decent speeds). Other than that, they should be pretty equal in my experience.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:44 PM
BlackBerry Hater
Pocket PC: All Cdma HTC's
Carrier: $0 VZW Emp Demo

Getitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributions

The hardware on the 6700 only supports evdo revision 0. Most of the broadband cards and the 6800 and 6900 support evdo rev A. In a rev a coverage area you should see a speed increase especially upstream with an evdo rev A enabled device.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for all of the replys!!

I'm going to be traveling in a few days and I will test it out in the Ann Arbor/Detriot area. Maybe it's just where I'm at. I'm going to be upgrading to the Sprint Rapheal/Touch Pro when it comes out so I suppose it's not worth spending the money for the broadband card and the $59.99 bucks a month for 5gig of data.

Did anyone ever come up with a straight answer on whether Sprint will be able to keep track of your tethering on the new PPCs or not?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

rfgod is a n00b

Rev-A speeds will vary dependent upon your signal strength, # of T1's being used at the site for DO and capacity of the sector that you are using.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drellisdee View Post
The hardware on the 6700 only supports evdo revision 0. Most of the broadband cards and the 6800 and 6900 support evdo rev A. In a rev a coverage area you should see a speed increase especially upstream with an evdo rev A enabled device.
i didn't. and i've had 3 diffent touch phones and tried many many different roms with different tweeks and it just won't break 1meg. i not getting any better speeds now than i got with rev 0
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 AM
BlackBerry Hater
Pocket PC: All Cdma HTC's
Carrier: $0 VZW Emp Demo

Getitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcj63 View Post
i didn't. and i've had 3 diffent touch phones and tried many many different roms with different tweeks and it just won't break 1meg. i not getting any better speeds now than i got with rev 0
Whats your upstream kbps? Thats the true indicator of rev a.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions