PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

treeboy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Cell Signal booster/Repeater

Well I need to get a booster/repeater because the signal at my house is lame. I am considering this model of repeater and this antenna and was wondering what others Geeks were using? Currently I get 0 -2 bars at my house depending on where and how I stand. I receive signal from 1 cell tower so I think a yagi is the way to go. I am curious as to whether or not the zBoost YX510 Dual Band Repeater is just a repeater or will it boost the signal as well. The yagi itself may boost the signal enough but I don't know. Any insight into this dilemma would be much appreciated.
PPC 6800, TPII
Westport, CA
Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

matty032 is keeping up the good workmatty032 is keeping up the good work
Re: Cell Signal booster/Repeater

try this website jdteck.com
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Airave
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Edwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I've been using a Spotwave Z1900. Worked quite well, but did nothing for dropped call problems I'd been having. I was going to relocate the antenna much farther away across the roof of the condo complex, but since the Airave came out, I use that now instead, which solved the dropping problem.

Of course the trade off is diminished EVDO, since the Airave does not route EVDO, while the Z1900 did.

Different approaches, but the nice thing about both was a big boost in battery life since my phones didn't have to work as hard to get a signal.

-Ed
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

treeboy is a n00b

Thanks for the replies! Of course it seems like I need a booster and repeater what with the weak signal and all. In Nor-Cal here we have these emergency phone things along the highways that are cell based and they have just a high gain yagi antenna. In rare cases they are going to start including a booster but for the most part the yagi does the trick so I think I may be able to get away with that. It's just a lot of money and I hope it works. Thanks again for the link it is informative. If any one has any other useful information please impart it. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

treeboy is a n00b

OK I made the purchase of a repeater/booster and directional antenna. I went with a dual band even though I'm on USCC which is 800 MHz. I figure I will undoubtedly switch carriers in the future and who knows... At any rate I'll post my results when they are available.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
Well I need to get a booster/repeater because the signal at my house is lame. I am considering this model of repeater and this antenna and was wondering what others Geeks were using? Currently I get 0 -2 bars at my house depending on where and how I stand. I receive signal from 1 cell tower so I think a yagi is the way to go. I am curious as to whether or not the zBoost YX510 Dual Band Repeater is just a repeater or will it boost the signal as well. The yagi itself may boost the signal enough but I don't know. Any insight into this dilemma would be much appreciated.
I have the Wi-Ex zBoost w/ upgraded directional panel antenna. It definitely will help. Before having the repeater, I would get 0-1 bars, and had to stay in one spot. At the location of the antenna, I got 3 bars.

Now, if I'm within 5-10' of the repeater I get 5 bars, EVDO is pretty good too. The distance limitation is somewhat small, but you can buy an upgraded interior antenna that's suppose to give better range.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

treeboy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins View Post
I have the Wi-Ex zBoost w/ upgraded directional panel antenna. It definitely will help. Before having the repeater, I would get 0-1 bars, and had to stay in one spot. At the location of the antenna, I got 3 bars.

Now, if I'm within 5-10' of the repeater I get 5 bars, EVDO is pretty good too. The distance limitation is somewhat small, but you can buy an upgraded interior antenna that's suppose to give better range.
That's the unit(s) I purchased. It shipped already so hopefully by Monday I'll have an answer, and thanks for the encouraging word.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

treeboy is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Cell Signal booster/Repeater

Update. I received and installed my zBoost 510 with a 800 MHz yagi antenna and the thing works! Prior to installing the system I had 1, occasionally 2 bars, and several drop points in my house. After installation I have clear signal all over house with no drops and improved quality outside too. If there is something to whine about it's the coarseness of the signal meter on the phone as, in general,if your not standing next to the repeater/booster my mogul only registers 2 bars where ever I go. This being said, however, the sound and data quality seem to be great and much improved. I downloaded "Geiger Counter Signal Meter" in hopes of a more fine analysis of the true signal but it isn't much better than the phone meter, so if anyone has a recommendation for a PPC installable signal meter please pass it along. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. =D>
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
so if anyone has a recommendation for a PPC installable signal meter please pass it along. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. =D>
when I was aligning my exterior antenna, I just used the actual recieve level in the phone.

##DEBUG#

Rx Power.....the lower the dB the better the signal

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions