PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon

kyppcgeek is keeping up the good workkyppcgeek is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AT&T says what? Now FCC will take on AT&T over P2P clampdown and acct termination

See this article:

http://gizmodo.com/5031060/att-will-...-their-account
Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: AT&T says what? Now FCC will take on AT&T over P2P clampdown and acct termination

Wow (and I don't mean World of Warcraft)! So if I were on AT&T and was doing some heavy downloading (maybe not even exceeding their cap) then I could have my account killed?

I would like to see a definition of "uses that may cause extreme network capacity issues.".

My first impression is that is a bunch of b.s....but I need to think about the bigger picture for a while. And I'm sure it won't be long before other carriers follow suit.

late,
Coz
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

kyppcgeek is keeping up the good workkyppcgeek is keeping up the good work
Re: AT&T says what? Now FCC will take on AT&T over P2P clampdown and acct termination

Yes Coz.

From the way I read that article the VP says, "Yeah,, use P2P and I'll terminate you. No questions asked."
Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Hmmmmm...how will they determine/define what P2P is exactly?

late,
Coz
Old 07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

tantrum829 is keeping up the good worktantrum829 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Hmmmmm...how will they determine/define what P2P is exactly?

late,
Coz
If I read correctly. They currently have no way of verifying if your using a P2P. So in the mean time they will probally measure the amount of data you use then call the customer and someway get him/her to admit there are using P2P. This can cause alot of turnover for them if they get to aggresive with this new tactic but if other companies start to do the same (which some are) then they could have the upper hand.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There have been P2P restrictions (as in, "don't do it") in the TOS of every carrier I've ever signed with. Basically they don't want you to do anything other than check email with your data service. And they'd prefer if you kept that to a minimum as well.

It'll be interesting to see if the wireless carriers can make a legally admissible case for restricting internet access. Especially with Comcast losing it's recent legal battle over restricting P2P access.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

LOL tethering for P2P. Only poor lazy people do that. People that don't wanna work hard to pay another 50 bucks a month for broadband connection. Using the phone as primary internet access. LOL
Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

AT&T did something similar in my area (San Angelo, TX) about 2 years ago. They were getting ready to move into the area, and even though they didn't have a physical store yet, they were allowing customers to sign up for service on their website. This was when roaming was becoming a big deal, yet you couldn't have more than half of your usage on roaming. Well, as it turns out, it took until just a few months ago for AT&T to finally arrive in town. In the meantime, over the last several years, they sent letters to customers telling them they had a month to find a new carrier. So many customers who were already fed up with Sprint and Alltell (no Verizon Wireless here) were now told that even though AT&T's page said it was home coverage, that indeed it was not. Always seemed pretty crappy to me, especially for the customer base that used PPC/Smartphone devices, as it became more costly to them to move carriers.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions