PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache>Mogul>Touch>Blackberry>Diamond>Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

MannyPR is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
eee PC, the Foleo of WM

I recently acquired an Asus eee PC 4G and it has become for me what Palm probably intended the Foleo to be for their platform, the perfect smartphone companion. I removed the Linux that comes pre-installed and replaced it with a slim version of Windows XP. I can do pretty much anything I can do in a full desktop as well as edit documents I receive on my smartphone with a full keyboard and then send them back. I know it probably works with every phone on the planet but I decided to post it in the Touch forum since that is what I have and they work great as a combo.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch/ soon the Raphael...

gonzo1082 is just getting started
i WANT an EEE PC 4g badly.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I love my EEE and nlite'd XP .. Oh and works great in conjunction with the touch with both BT and usb!

And Slingbox works great on it.. a portable 7" TV wherever you go

Last edited by VW; 01-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started
I've been using a Samsung Q1 (the original) for several months in conjunction with a pda and PdaNet and yeah, slingplayer on it with EVDO is great. Kind of helps offset the lousy performance of the slingplayer mobile app on these phones. The eee looks nice but not nice enough to get me to plunk down that kind of cash for something that doesn't offer much over the Q1. Especially since I have a relatively large hard drive, 2gb of ram, keyboard, case and about 10 hours worth of batteries for the Q1. I was sold on the umpc the first time I took one to Europe. The batteries last the entire way over, it's really nice to be able to watch live TV during a 90 minute runway delay, it fits perfectly on the seat tray in the cattle car section, it has a couple USB ports, bluetooth and a CF slot, it has a CAT-5 connector...a big deal since a lot of places in Europe don't have wifi...it has a socket for an external monitor and it actually runs dev tools acceptably. I had Vista on it for a while and it did "ok", but it didn't take long before I was back to XP. Pound for pound and mile for mile, I'd have to say the UMPC was probably the best computer I've ever purchased. I was looking at that new WiBrain or whatever it's called with the split keyboard on the front of the unit, but I don't think I could handle a 4 1/2 inch screen for very long.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
II removed the Linux that comes pre-installed and replaced it with a slim version of Windows XP.
Awwww, you ruined it.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

i would trade my touch for an eee pc and a cheap sprint phone. =)
Old 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Awwww, you ruined it.
Well, would you want linux or would you want to get things done? I wonder if you could slap OSX86 on it? I know for a fact you can't on the Q1.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

you can, http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/os-x-on-a...-pc-323279.php

Last edited by gonzo1082; 01-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Zyphlin is keeping up the good workZyphlin is keeping up the good work
Wow. I didn't realize the thing was under 500 bucks too.

Is it hard to throw WinXP on it?

I've been wanting a laptop to take with me to work, when I travel back home or other places, etc...but at the same time didn't want to pay out the ass or get some giant thing. This is...wow.

The thing reminds me of my old Jornada 820

Last edited by Zyphlin; 01-04-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgamber View Post
Well, would you want linux or would you want to get things done? I wonder if you could slap OSX86 on it? I know for a fact you can't on the Q1.
Considering I'm running linux on my desktop and laptop already, I think I could "get things done" with Linux. Hence the snide comment about ruining it. But yeah, it probably limps along with XP on it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions