PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Internet sharing with work network to get to blocked websites (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25463)

henderjr 05-01-2008 02:22 PM

Internet sharing with work network to get to blocked websites

I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else talk about this. I want to be able to get to facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. by sharing my phone (Sprint Vogue) on my work pc. Those sites are all blocked at work. I know I'm playing with fire but I'm a web developer. I'm supposed to surf. :)

Anyway when I hook my phone up and share I have successfully gotten it to work but almost always not. I think somewhere down the pipeline the firewall software my work uses has any requests for those sites point right back at localhost (127.0.0.1 or whatever it is) because it loads my default IIS screen (as well as a ping to facebook.com points to 127.0.0.1). I know I can change the interface metric (basically the tcpip priority) to prefer my phone over the other but then it breaks half of my work apps. So anyone have a thought? It'd be nice if you could specifiy a browser session to use a certain network connection or have a list of sites that you can specify to use a certain connection. Thanks for any thoughts!

Perasite 05-01-2008 02:49 PM

Re: Internet sharing with work network to get to blocked websites

When surfing, disable your LAN connection in Network Connections. Then turn it back on when "working" :)

Success100 05-01-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6700Yuma (Post 268341)
When surfing, disable your LAN connection in Network Connections. Then turn it back on when "working" :)

but wouldnt this effectively stop his work programs? Im pretty sure if hes on a corporate network then the work programs need to authenticate through some type of addressing. The lan he is connected is also gonna have a static ip address for that purpose. Our evdo connections have dynamic IP's right?

Maybe im over thinking this though.

henderjr 05-01-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Success100 (Post 268351)
but wouldnt this effectively stop his work programs? Im pretty sure if hes on a corporate network then the work programs need to authenticate through some type of addressing. The lan he is connected is also gonna have a static ip address for that purpose. Our evdo connections have dynamic IP's right?

Maybe im over thinking this though.

Yes you're right. If I disable it seems to pretty much lock up my machine. It'll not allow me to click on anything for a good three or four minutes. I don't know why. I need to have both running.

I know this is probably not doable because I've searched on it a few times since I got my touch last fall. But I haven't actually posted a question on it.

medinatwin 05-01-2008 03:25 PM

Why not try within your Internet Explorer.

Go to Tool - Internet Options.
Click connections and choose to use your default connection as dialup?

Try that.

Hope this works.

later,
TWIN

henderjr 05-01-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medinatwin (Post 268384)
Why not try within your Internet Explorer.

Go to Tool - Internet Options.
Click connections and choose to use your default connection as dialup?

Try that.

Hope this works.

later,
TWIN

It doesn't list it as a dialup connection but rather a typical "Lan or High Speed Internet" connection.

Success100 05-01-2008 03:57 PM

wait wait, what operating system are you using? i wonder...

when you first plug-in the mogul or touch, it installs the drivers, and the OS identifies it as a LAN CONNECTION! At least in xp, and vista it does.

theoretically, if it does that, THEN you should be able to change preferences in internet explorer to the other lan connection.

The problem comes when you have two lan connections active at the same time, i wonder how the OS prioritizes which connection is the default.

medinatwin 05-01-2008 04:01 PM

Well if you used the "Wireless Modem" app, then its a dial up and you can use #777 and set that as default.

EDIT: Im talking XP and Vista drivers. See this thread... http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11146

hope this helps

Late,
TWIN

henderjr 05-01-2008 04:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Success100 (Post 268434)
wait wait, what operating system are you using? i wonder...
when you first plug-in the mogul or touch, it installs the drivers, and the OS identifies it as a LAN CONNECTION! At least in xp, and vista it does.
theoretically, if it does that, THEN you should be able to change preferences in internet explorer to the other lan connection.
The problem comes when you have two lan connections active at the same time, i wonder how the OS prioritizes which connection is the default.

I don't see how you can specify internet explorer to use one lan connection versus another. I'm on XP with IE 6. Should be IE 7 but we've been asked to wait a bit longer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by medinatwin (Post 268435)
Well if you used the "Wireless Modem" app, then its a dial up and you can use #777 and set that as default.
EDIT: Im talking XP and Vista drivers.
hope this helps
Late,
TWIN

I guess I'll have to look into the "Wireless Modem" app. Do you have a link or anything? Would I have better luck using it through a wireless BT adapter?
I don't even care to surf on restricted sites that much. It just that I hate being restricted. And I like to tinker around the system and find a way to do stuff. I think it's the whole rebellious/hacker type mentality that I would bet most people on here have.

henderjr 05-01-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medinatwin (Post 268435)

EDIT: Im talking XP and Vista drivers. See this thread... http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11146

hope this helps

Late,
TWIN

Oh you gave me a link. Thanks I'll check it out!