PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Lurker

roma11_22 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Install WM on Blackberry device

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new PDA. Device and feature wise I like Blackberry but 3rd party app and usability wise I would like to go with Windows Mobile based PDA.

So my question to you experts is: Is it possible to wipe out the Blackberry OS on Curve 8310 or Pearl and install WM6 or WM6.1??

I tried searching internet and forums, but could not find answer to my specific question. Has no one in the world tried this before ?? I read the topic to format your blackberry device and reinstall blackberry OS: but is it possible to install Windows mobile OS on it.

I have heard of app for windows mobile devices which gives it a touch screen interface. I have not heard of such app for blackberyy. This is the only app that is killing me in my decision and this is the only reason i would love to have Windows OS on blackberry.

Is there any emulator that can do this?? After no replies and negative answers from other forums I have turned to this forum with big hopes. Please give me some solution.......
Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2008, 07:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tour
Carrier: Sprint

nebula is keeping up the good worknebula is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to nebula Send a message via MSN to nebula Send a message via Yahoo to nebula
Re: Install WM on Blackberry device

LOL, give me some of what you're smoking!

and NO you cannot install anything WM on Blackberry!

and um NO, to this date there's no BB devices that have touchscreen

Jesus dude! is this your first PDA ever? or even first WM/BB? that you're planning to buy?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i havent seen it done yet, i know they have a blackberry emulator for WM devices but i dont think they have WM on Blackberry

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tour

nebula is keeping up the good worknebula is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to nebula Send a message via MSN to nebula Send a message via Yahoo to nebula

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
i havent seen it done yet, i know they have a blackberry emulator for WM devices but i dont think they have WM on Blackberry
It is not an emulator of the OS it is only a piece of software that can connect a non blackberry device to RIMM's Infrastructure and ONLY for email.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The software provides the look and functionality of a Blackberry on a WM device, just like loading PocketNester or PointUI.
http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/0...ws-mobile.html
Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

roma11_22 is a n00b

Yes this is my first PDA. I am aware of the limitation and hence I had mentioned in my post has anyone in the world done it yet.

I am a believer and hence thought of brain storming.

Thanks anyways
Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

AFAIK, its not possible. WM is a memory hog. The blackberry is not designed to be able to run WM... even if it could, it'd be extremely inefficient.

It would be very interesting, though.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Its not possible on a fundamental level.

It would be like trying to install Mac OS on your TI 89 Graphic Calculator. The platforms and hardware are so fundamentally different that its not even a question of "has anyone tried it", its just not possible. The TI is a calculating machine and the Mac OS is a fully fledged computing system.
However, you can install and run a TI 89 emulator on the Macintosh computer so that it looks like there is a graphic calculator pasted onto your screen, and it will run all the same commands and programs.

The Blackberry is a very basic device- it does what it does extremely well (hence the popularity of it) but it is no where near as sophisticated a device as a Pocket PC. The Pocket PC can emulate it, however, with proper software. However, there is no way on earth that a system as simple as a BB can emulate a fully fledged PDA OS like Windows Mobile or even Palm!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Lurker

Q Status is a n00b

Sounds like you just want a BB for the looks... and you're asking for too much

but if they did come out with a BB Curve without the trackball and added a touch screen with WM, I'd be all over it...
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

doylecm is a n00b
Cool Re: Install WM on Blackberry device

See, while I prefer WM over Palm or BB, I so wish that HTC could put a trackball on their phones. I don't know about anyone else, but it sure makes scrolling alot easier. I also think it would be very interesting to see a BB with WM and a touchscreen. Who knows, it could happen one day.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions