PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VX6850
Carrier: Verizon

K4el is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to K4el Send a message via MSN to K4el
New user some questions i didnt find with search.

I recently activated a vx6800 and ditched the pocket pc i was using so i wouldnt have to carry both a pda and a phone.

I don't regret the choice for a second but visiting these forums I have quickly found that i have alot to learn. So i have a few questions that ive not been able to answer from browsing or searching.

1) The difference between a smart phone and a ppc. Are smart phones everything that is not windows based?

2) The architecture (both hardware and software) of the phone. What stores the info about my service carrier(and where)? Where do ROMs come into play compared to the operating system. Basically i can't figure out the boot up process, what comes first etc. I just don't feel confident enough to start trying to flash a new rom. ( i can't afford to mess this phone up)

3) http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9927 this thread is really helping me though. I'm reading through it and learning. Are there any other MUST READ threads i should see?

4) the majority of the stuff i've read seem to be sprint based. Why is that? Does everyone have sprint as a carrier or are you all using sprint's software?

5) WM 6.1 will verizon be upgrading?

I'm very eager to get on board and figure this out. I really want to change the dialing screen to make the buttons larger so i can dial with out my stylus. Its a start.

Last edited by K4el; 04-03-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333
Re: New user some questions i didnt find with search.

PPC = Touchscreen(ex.-Mogul, vx6800, 6700)
Smartphone = non-touch screen(ex.-Motorola Q)
Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2, XV6900, XV6700

Speed_419 is just getting started
Re: New user some questions i didnt find with search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4el View Post
I recently activated a vx6800 and ditched the pocket pc i was using so i wouldnt have to carry both a pda and a phone.

I don't regret the choice for a second but visiting these forums I have quickly found that i have alot to learn. So i have a few questions that ive not been able to answer from browsing or searching.

1) The difference between a smart phone and a ppc. Are smart phones everything that is not windows based?

2) The architecture (both hardware and software) of the phone. What stores the info about my service carrier(and where)? Where do ROMs come into play compared to the operating system. Basically i can't figure out the boot up process, what comes first etc. I just don't feel confident enough to start trying to flash a new rom. ( i can't afford to mess this phone up)

3) http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9927 this thread is really helping me though. I'm reading through it and learning. Are there any other MUST READ threads i should see?

4) the majority of the stuff i've read seem to be sprint based. Why is that? Does everyone have sprint as a carrier or are you all using sprint's software?

5) WM 6.1 will verizon be upgrading?

I'm very eager to get on board and figure this out. I really want to change the dialing screen to make the buttons larger so i can dial with out my stylus. Its a start.
L4el,
I have to tell ya that everything that you asked is in the forum, the problem is that it is kind of all over the place. I honestly was in your shoes for quite a while. There are numerous sites that will help you out. I started at PPC6700users.com and graduated to this site. I have also checked out xda-developers.com which is very informative, but some of it is WAY past my knowledge base. The reason that I have been staying on this site is because it seemed to be the one that everyone frequented the most. I noticed the same names on this site that I did on others if ya know what I mean.
From one noob to another let me tell ya what I would recommend. Start by reading. Read, read, and read some more. I know that this seems like a complete waste of time, but trust me when I tell you that it is not. You will not get things that you read at first, but then you will read another thread and be like, "ahh, now I know what they were talking about in that last thread." Don't get discouraged. That is also sometimes hard to do. It will seem like people are being short with you about questions, etc., from time to time, but they know that the only real way you will learn it is learn about it yourself.
To give you a point in the right direction, here are a few things I have been able to pick up that will give you some guidance. Start by reading as much as you can about your particular phone. Although most of the discussions do seem to be about Sprint based phones, trust me when I tell ya that most of it will still apply to you and that there are many other carriers that are supported.(I use Verizon.) Once you feel that you are ready to take the plunge and start flashing your ROM let me recommend Helmi_C and his crew. Those boys over at ppckitchen.org know what they are doing and have come up with a nice BuildOS that you can install on your PC to help you create the ROM that is right for you. I am currently running WM6.1 on my 6700 using their stuff.
I know that I didn't really answer your questions the way that you may have wanted, but I think that I have given you some pretty good areas to start out with. Hope I helped.

Currently Running
Mighty ROM SE

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions