PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: vsw

Vacs is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS Life or death disturbing events

Several months ago I was witness to a frightening event. A young girl tried to commit suicide by taking a bottle of pills and driving off in her car to hide until the worst happened. I saw her friend spend almost an hour alternately calling the state police (NJ) and the local police (Roxbury, NJ) to coordinate a search for the young girl and to give the police suggestions as to where to look. Her friend also spoke to the young girl on her cell phone several times trying to get her to say where she was so help could be sent. The young girl was found in time to save her life and her friend is definitely a heroine for her actions that night.

This is what I don’t understand. Why when her friend told the police that the girl had a cell phone (mot. razr) and that they should call the cell phone company (Verizon) to find the girls location they would not or could not do it. What is the whole E911 thing for anyway, isn’t it supposed to be used for just such situations?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:33 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Re: GPS Life or death disturbing events

I think it only transmits the location when phone in question calls 911. I may be wrong though.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Privacy.

A court order would be needed. Even if it was a minor and the parents paid for the phone/service the location service still needs authorization from the phone/user periodically.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

bushd is a n00b

Sprint locator allows for just this. Initially the account owner must accept the tracking. After that, they pay a monthly and can locate at any time. However, if you are the account owner you could probably activate and use within 5 minutes after knowing it is needed.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: vsw
Threadstarter

Vacs is a n00b

So even when the police have as they call it "probable cause" that someones life is in danger they have to go to court to get the info? Well maybe your right, I hope not though. I'm just surprised that this thread is of so little interest here.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Lab Rat
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Or whatever device I pick out in the morning.

wldthng842 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to wldthng842

Yes they would need a court order. Probable cause only works for actions done by a police officer. It is like getting her medical records. A policeman can not walk in for this and get them. A judge would need to sign the slip. However this is fast and should have been done. You should be able to get a court order signed and faxed within 15 minutes for this type of incident.

Remember to say when someone helps you out.

Open thread without searching > waste server usage > waste energy > higher gas prices
Think about the economy the next time you feel the need to open a useless thread. Think about it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions