PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange Network Authentication Issue

I have been dealing with this for some time and am finally reaching out. I really hope this makes sense, if not please tell me and I will try to clarify.

I have two windows 2k3 servers at home with shares on each. I can see and map the shares with my pda on one server just fine but the other doesn't work at all. I can see both computers on the pda and the shares are accessible from 6 other machines both logged as domain users and local accounts. I've made sure the permisions were identical on both machine (along with checking everything I could think of a million friggin times) I finally noticed that if I enter false credentials into the login for the working server then I get a failed security audit with the faulty username along in the event log along with a second separate one showing my wireless network username for school as the attempted username . On the non working machine I only get this school username and nothing else regardless of what I enter into the pda. The best I can figure, one server is allowing the failed attempt and moving on to the good and the other is stopping after the first. Someone PLEASE tell me why a username ONLY entered into the wireless network settings of my schools network (settings that I have removed with no effect) would be forced into my attempts to map a network drive? Ima lose my god damn mind!

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com
Old 02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Lab Rat
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Or whatever device I pick out in the morning.
Carrier: Sprint

wldthng842 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to wldthng842
Way out of my league, I must differ. Thats a good question though. Good luck finding an answer.

Remember to say when someone helps you out.

Open thread without searching > waste server usage > waste energy > higher gas prices
Think about the economy the next time you feel the need to open a useless thread. Think about it.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work
Re: Strange Network Authentication Issue

FFS!!! Finally found the solution. Evidently the policy setting in 2k3 domain controllers requires SMB signing while member servers don't. This is why I could stream from my regular server and not my domain controller. Resco explorer's FAQ of all things had the answer and the solution if anyone needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resco View Post
Windows CE networking is not able to map the drives from the servers using SMB signing.

This can be solved by changing the following setting in the Domain Controller Security Policy under Local Policies --> Security Options
Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communications (always): Disabled

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions