PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch
Carrier: VZW for 8 years now SERO

Knether is keeping up the good workKnether is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guys i really need help.

This has been going on for so long, and I need help. Somebody has a way to send a text message from another number to my phone. I would get a text message from my girlfriend, but it wasnt really her. The number is identical becuase it goes into my threaded SMS chat. I dont know what to do, my girl friend has changed her number three times. I changed mine one time as well. I have my verizon online account locked, so that possibility is ruled out.

But, I am getting some very rude text messages at all times in the morning, and I dont know what to do at this point!

I've heard of SMS spoofing, but a lot of times the messages diffrent from the real number, but this time the number is so esact it shows up in my SMS conversations.

Please help.

Challenge me into a game of COD4. If you dare.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
First thing contact Verizon and tell them of the issue. Make it their problem. I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty confident that it constitutes harassment.

Let me see if I understand...you've changed your number and your girlfriend has changed her number? Right? And the texts that are being sent are showing up as your girlfriends new number? So somehow the "mystery texter" is able to change numbers along with your girlfried?

What do the texts say? Have you ever got a "mystery text" while you're physically with your girlfriend?

Change the password on your Verizon account.

late,
Coz

p.s....how well do you know your girlfriend?
And yes...spoofing can pretty easily be done (e.g., FakeMyText, etc.)

Last edited by CozBoogie; 01-23-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
First thing contact Verizon and tell them of the issue. Make it their problem. I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty confident that it constitutes harassment.

Let me see if I understand...you've changed your number and your girlfriend has changed her number? Right? And the texts that are being sent are showing up as your girlfriends new number? So somehow the "mystery texter" is able to change numbers along with your girlfried?

What do the texts say? Have you ever got a "mystery text" while you're physically with your girlfriend?

Change the password on your Verizon account.

late,
Coz

p.s....how well do you know your girlfriend?

The texts will say something on the lines of "You f*ker, your (insert girlfriend nick name) dosent like you" and things like that. My verizon account is frozen because I dont want anybody to have access to my bills. I have recieved the text when i was with my girlfriend, I've been with her for 3 years, and I known her my whole life. She takes it alot harder than me.

We both have had a change of numbers, it goes away for a few weeks, and starts back up.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Coz-erator

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knether View Post
The texts will say something on the lines of "You f*ker, your (insert girlfriend nick name) dosent like you" and things like that. My verizon account is frozen because I dont want anybody to have access to my bills. I have recieved the text when i was with my girlfriend, I've been with her for 3 years, and I known her my whole life. She takes it alot harder than me.

We both have had a change of numbers, it goes away for a few weeks, and starts back up.
Contact your local law enforcement and keep after Verizon. It's personal at this point. Someone (e.g., ex-boyfriend of your girlfirend) is essentially stalking you and that is against the law.

Get the authorities on your side and tell Verizon to trace the origin of the incoming texts. Make sure that you've saved copies of the texts. If you haven't Verizon may have an archive.

late,
Coz
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Contact your local law enforcement and keep after Verizon. It's personal at this point. Someone (e.g., ex-boyfriend of your girlfirend) is essentially stalking you and that is against the law.

Get the authorities on your side and tell Verizon to trace the origin of the incoming texts. Make sure that you've saved copies of the texts. If you haven't Verizon may have an archive.

late,
Coz
Ok Thanks.

If somebody SMS spoofed with her number, then could it show in my SMS thread as her?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Coz-erator

Quote:
Ok Thanks.

If somebody SMS spoofed with her number, then could it show in my SMS thread as her?
Yep. Or perhaps they have cloned her phone. Either way...you need to take this to the police.

late,
Coz
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Yep. Or perhaps they have cloned her phone. Either way...you need to take this to the police.

late,
Coz
What could they do? Especially if its im a threaded SMS, looks like she said it. I live in a small town, and the Police department isnt the best and most understanding people.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Also, If i cancel premium texts, would that block spoof messages since they come from a computer?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Coz-erator

Quote:
What could they do? Especially if its im a threaded SMS, looks like she said it. I live in a small town, and the Police department isnt the best and most understanding people.
Contacting your local police department will get the matter "on the books". Contacting the police, in conjunction with contacting Verizon, will give you give you a pretty powerful position. You let the police know what's going on and then you call up Verizon and say, "look, I'm working with my local law enforcement to get this situation resolved. Here's the contact information for the local detective." Give them some time to work on the situation. If nothing comes of it...then you call up Verizon and say, "look, it's been X number of weeks and I'm still getting these texts. If you can't/won't fix it then what are you going to do to compensate me?" This is where you can go in a few directions...you can threaten to leave Verizon and possibly get some free/redueced services. You can tell them that you'll contact your local media outlets (local tv, newspaper) and basically hand them a story of how you're getting harassed and no one is helping you.

Don't play the part of a victim. Take charge and solve the problem. Show your girlfriend that you are not gonna take crap from anyone.

Quote:
Also, If i cancel premium texts, would that block spoof messages since they come from a computer?
Doubtful. Premium texts (and I'm with Sprint) may just mean a text plan that gives you 500 or so free texts before you have to start paying for the.

late,
Coz
Old 01-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Contacting your local police department will get the matter "on the books". Contacting the police, in conjunction with contacting Verizon, will give you give you a pretty powerful position. You let the police know what's going on and then you call up Verizon and say, "look, I'm working with my local law enforcement to get this situation resolved. Here's the contact information for the local detective." Give them some time to work on the situation. If nothing comes of it...then you call up Verizon and say, "look, it's been X number of weeks and I'm still getting these texts. If you can't/won't fix it then what are you going to do to compensate me?" This is where you can go in a few directions...you can threaten to leave Verizon and possibly get some free/redueced services. You can tell them that you'll contact your local media outlets (local tv, newspaper) and basically hand them a story of how you're getting harassed and no one is helping you.

Don't play the part of a victim. Take charge and solve the problem. Show your girlfriend that you are not gonna take crap from anyone.

Doubtful. Premium texts (and I'm with Sprint) may just mean a text plan that gives you 500 or so free texts before you have to start paying for the.

late,
Coz

I contacted Verizon, and they only thing they did was for was blocking premium, and web messages. I usually erase the messages, but once I receive more message, I am going to log what time and date. Then I will take it to the Police.

Thank you so much, and hopefully this will stop.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions