PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

SyXbiT is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
who else will be jumping ship to android?

(I've played around with emulated android with the SDK, and written to practice apps for it, have played a lot with my bro's iPhone, and have had a Titan for 6 months)

The reason windows mobile isn't very good, is because it's roots are really old.
they've basically got a really old OS, and just tweaked it a little each year.

That's why Palm is struggling now, and why the iPhone is just so much better in many ways.
lets not argue about the faults of the iphone, or keyboard etc... It certainly has them. it is NOT the Jesus phone
the point is, the sheer quality/stability/ease of use etc.. is far beyond the WM6 or even the late to the game WM 6.1
Just use Safari, and then use pocket IE. It's a joke. Even Opera Mobile is a joke (until they finally release Mobile 9 at least)

Basically, I want a phone where stuff improves because new things are possible.
Think of what your email would be like if gmail hadn't come aboard.
We were living with 2 or 4MB inboxes. And why? not because storage was that expensive, but because WAY back in the day, it used to be enough, and they'd just kept their same roots and core mentality. Yahoo and Hotmail were fairly quick to compete with gmail's storage. Why is that? Because they were capable of doing it all along, but just had no reason to improve. People were used to rubbish, so few people complained.

Microsoft is just that way. They only made IE7 because firefox became popular.
You know what they said before? They said there was nothing left to improve with IE6 (what they really meant was that they no longer had a competitor, or reason to improve it-aka RIP netscape)

I want whatever OS i use to just improve when it can, not improve because it's forced to by the market, or because everyone else has surpassed it. (btw that's the reason i use linux).

Just look at what's happening with WM6. It's based on Windows CE 5 code. Win CE 6 is supposed to bring big improvements. But, because they had internal problems, they released an interim product, WM6 as a barely improved (and more memory hog) WM5.
They then promised WM7 to be the next big thing, but guess what, they have yet ANOTHER minor update (WM6.1) that's going to delay WM7.

Also, I don't want this to turn into arguments of all the apps available for WM etc... as this is not related to the stability/features of a platform. those apps will come.

All I can say is, To get a properly functioning alarm, I have to install an app.
to get a good calendar, I need an app
a good email program, buy an app.
I mean, FREAK, it's 2008, and there's no threaded messaging in Windows Mobile. I know people will say that it's coming soon. But seriously, it should have been out years ago. There's no excuse.
My point is, although the iPhone is locked down, the built in apps are actually worth using.
So, when I get android, it will actually have a decent alarm that plays mp3s, a decent email client etc... so i won't need to resort to all these 3rd party apps to just get a reasonable system.
If it wasn't for the amazing SERO plan I have, I'd have considered jumping already.

your thoughts?

Last edited by SyXbiT; 01-04-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

supahfly112 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
(I've played around with emulated android with the SDK, and written to practice apps for it, have played a lot with my bro's iPhone, and have had a Titan for 6 months)

The reason windows mobile isn't very good, is because it's roots are really old.
they've basically got a really old OS, and just tweaked it a little each year.

That's why Palm is struggling now, and why the iPhone is just so much better in many ways.
lets not argue about the faults of the iphone, or keyboard etc...
the point is, the sheer quality/stability/ease of use etc.. is far beyond the WM6 or even the late to the game 6.1. (my bro. has one, so i use it pretty often)
Just use Safari, and then use pocket IE. It's a joke. Even Opera Mobile is a joke (until they finally release Mobile 9 at least)

Basically, I want a phone where stuff improves because new things are possible.
Think of what your email would be like if gmail hadn't come aboard.
We were living with 2 or 4MB inboxes. And why? not because storage was that expensive, but because WAY back in the day, it used to be enough, and they'd just kept their same roots and core mentality. Yahoo and Hotmail were fairly quick to compete with gmail's storage. Why is that? Because they were capable of doing it all along, but just had no reason to improve. People were used to rubbish, so few people complained.

Microsoft is just that way. They only made IE7 because firefox became popular.
You know what they said before? They said there was nothing left to improve with IE6 (what they really meant was that they no longer had a competitor, or reason to improve it-aka RIP netscape)

I want whatever OS i use to just improve when it can, not improve because it's forced to by the market, or because everyone else has surpassed it. (btw that's the reason i use linux).

Just look at what's happening with WM6. It's based on Windows CE 5 code. Win CE 6 is supposed to bring big improvements. But, because they had internal problems, they released an interim product, WM6 as a barely improved (and more memory hog) WM5.
They then promised WM7 to be the next big thing, but guess what, they have yet ANOTHER minor update (WM6.1) that's going to delay WM7.

Also, I don't want this to turn into arguments of all the apps available for WM etc... as this is not related to the stability/features of a platform. those apps will come.

All I can say is, To get a properly functioning alarm, I have to install an app.
to get a good calendar, I need an app
a good email program, buy an app.
I mean, FREAK, it's 2008, and there's no threaded messaging in Windows Mobile. I know people will say that it's coming soon. But seriously, it should have been out years ago. There's no excuse.
My point is, although the iPhone is locked down, the built in apps are actually worth using.
So, when I get android, it will actually have a decent alarm that plays mp3s, a decent email client etc... so i won't need to resort to all these 3rd party apps to just get a reasonable system.
If it wasn't for the amazing SERO plan I have, I'd have considered jumping already.

your thoughts?

Bullseye...Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

otacon72 is a n00b
Android will be to Windows Mobile as Linux is to Windows.....
Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
N00b

drew826 is a n00b
I played around with Familiar Linux (http://familiar.handhelds.org/) on a couple of my old (non-phone) iPAQs and loved it. The functionality was much greater than WM2002/2003. Unfortunately, the project became pretty stagnant over the past few years (due in part, I'm sure, to the increasing number of phone-enabled PDA devices). There are still people working with the various Compact Linux projects, and I know that work was being done toward enabling Linux functionality on the Apache (most of it was there EXCEPT for phone stuff). Really exciting, but these community things can be hit or miss.

However, with Android's backing, I'm very excited about it. With so many big groups backing it, something good is sure to come. I'm hoping that sometime in the future, people will port Android to the Mogul, just as the Familiar Linux users/lovers helped port that distribution to numerous hardware devices. I'm all for open-source operating systems and devices, and I agree with many of the statements made in the previous posts. I can't wait to see what Android brings, either directly or by forcing the competition to step up.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I thought that this was gonna be another I luv iphone, buy iphone instead of mogul because I love trolling thread but you had lots of points that I actually agreed with.

I haven't used an iphone and heard of it's flaws over and over again but I've also heard of it's great points and stability. I really agree with your take on wm6. I pave an old axim x30 and can't honestly see a diffenence between wm2003 and wm6. I hope that the iphone does great as competition is always good.

Last edited by esqueue; 01-04-2008 at 12:11 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Your Moms

soaknfused is becoming a great contributor
If anyone wants to be an early adopter or help spur on ideas head over to Mikes new site (Wideawake) it's projectgphone.com and is geared specifically at the Android OS and all the possibilities it may bring.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

otacon72 is a n00b
I'm all for competition though... keeps everyone on their toes...
Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Enhanced
Carrier: ICE

Zoide is a n00b
Will it be possible to flash WM6 phones to Android? Anything's possible, and if anyone can pull it off it's Google...
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 AM
N00b

drew826 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
Will it be possible to flash WM6 phones to Android? Anything's possible, and if anyone can pull it off it's Google...
Since we already have the ability to put custom rom images on our phones, I'd say that one of the big hurdles has already been passed. Now it's a waiting game till the hardware in our phones (processors, memory, input/output devices, radios, etc) are supported and a rom is built for our devices. I'd love to jump in and help, but I'm afraid reverse-engineering hardware and writing drivers is WAY beyond my knowledge. But once the hardware is supported, the floodgates should open up for new applications to be developed.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
That would be simply the best. I'm thinking of jumping ship as well... and esp with Sprint's contract changes at the moment, I wouldn't have to pay an ETF....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions