PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 6700/T8585, Samsung i760, LG VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile, Reachout Wireless

n1nj4Lo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo
Is It True???? About The Hardware...

Are keyboard/slider phones really more trouble than they're worth?

In terms of physical os operations and what not?

Not as in terms cosmetic handling and conditioning...
_

What are your experiences between sliders and candybars? Comparisons between the two and what not, as in again physical operations...

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Re: Is It True???? About The Hardware...

I tend to think so more every day since I use WP7, where not everything is not 100% landscape supported. Everyday I use it less and less. The onscreen kb on my Arrive is very good and just do not use the physical kb much. The main advantage currently ( waiting for my Titan on backorder) to having a slider is the tilt screen for watching videos when the kb is open. I'd rather exchange the extra weight for a larger screen device w/out one.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo

Yea, some girl who used to live next door to me was constantly taking Android "slider" phones back and forth to and from the Sprint store (Because of phone problems) and then one day she came back with just a normal candybar Android phone and said the rep at the store told her physical keyboards were nothing but trouble from the get go...

Which got me to wondering and pondering about how true what the rep had told her was.

I've always loved the actual physical keyboard, no matter or not if there was a great on screen keyboard or not it just felt right to me.

On down the line I've had the HTC PPC6800, Samsung i760 (Which still to this day I love the heck out of it, cause of the frontal numeric keypad) and now the HTC Touch Pro2 and soon to be currently using LG Fathom...

It's always been physical keyboards the whole way through.

Even though I still do question whether or not all that extra hardware has a drawback on the operational side of the os compared to just a standard candybar... I know there would be a few kb's (If that, at all) upon opening and closing and loading into and out of portrait and landscape mode though
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 AM
VIP Member

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community

I don't think they are trouble mechanically. I have had the Mogul, TP, TP2, and Arrive and have never had one kb problem. Maybe most general consumers "manhandle" and just don't respect and abuse their devices. I do not use mine like it's a "glass house" however, I used it hard and regular and never had problems. I personally think my Arrive has the best kb I have ever used. The extra extension with the tilt exposes the full keyboard and works very well. Being older at 41 and having many kb phones, I was a lil stubborn at first but have slowly merged to a kbless world since it is obvious that the way it is going, I've really found it very natural.
Maybe the rep just doesn't like the extra moving parts of a kb phone to fix? and passes on the influence? just an afterthought.

Last edited by steveo70; 12-03-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yea maybe they don't like keyboards... LoL!

I'm the same way with my phones, very gentle with it...

I was just curious of operational performance specs between two of the same phones one without a keyboard, and one without... Same tech specs and all except for that main factor. Which would run faster...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 AM
VIP Member

I would guess that most phones today given the processing speeds ect. this would be more of a software issue? I think most of us that visit sites such as this read and think too much about specs rather than the experience with each phone and its performance. This is only a reference to being a muscle car and hot rodding enthusiast. One can read and read until actually used upon said car. I would assume that many variables still apply and most users would never detect minute differences. That being said most of us here have our devices tweaked for optimal performance and would mostly be undetectable. My Arrive seems to have minimal lag going to landscape compared to my TP2. I think we get soo used to faster that we forget what we used to "deal" with.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I don't think so. I can't speak from a programming standpoint but I am a fan of sliders and have never had any issues related to a slider keyboard. I can't really use the onscreen keyboard on my Arrive, even in landscape mode. My fingers are just too fat for things like that. Also, I hate the loss screen area when using it. Now that nearly everything out there is touch and not stylus based, I have to have a physical keyboard
Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

I do text a lot, and my TP2 keyboard mechanism is pretty shot. The power button, front speaker, and led are not working anymore. I think it is from opening and closing the keyboard thousands of times... it is amazing that it can last as long as it did. I have been using this same phone for two years tomorrow!!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Ive sent over 1,xxx,xxx,xxx texts on my phone according to the ##3282# on my tp2.

I'd safely bet 9o % were physical keyboard.

On top of that I let my nails grow out a bit, not a lot, but enough to press keys with the tips of my thumbnail.

And even after all that, my device had absolutly no issues.

Every button works, the leds light up, and no paint chips missing from any letter.

I love my tp2...
Texting on this EVO is sooooo much harder lol

Sent from my PG86100 on the PPCGeeks App

Last edited by aedon; 12-04-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work

i have phone with/without physical keyboards, the only benefit for not having one is it's thinner/lighter...

but when I want to type something, i like having a real keyboard. I'll use onscreen keyboard for short things like google searches but for texting/typing longer things I like having the keyboard. Even with things like swype, I feel more comfortable hitting buttons. Plus I can rest my hand on key while I'm thinking about how to say the next time. If i did that on virtual keyboard, it'd make the phone confused

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions