PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Astrak is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What does brick really mean?

Okay, so I've heard the term "This will brick your phone" now I'm a Motorola technician and when we say a radio has been bricked...it really means that without the radio system admins 512bit code your radio will never be unlocked. Is this the same with cell phones? So if you accidently flash a GSM ROM/Radio does that mean your cell phone attempts to connect to a GSM network without proper authorization and the reply from the tower/system tells it to go into brick mode or is it something that has more to do with a hardware error that can be recovered from rather than replacing the phone.

I haven't done this I heed all warnings, I was just wondering how it works.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
Re: What does brick really mean?

Brick is a literal term, it turns your device into a paperweight, AKA A brick.

Bricking a device goes beyond the actual components. You can brick ANY electrical device through MANY means. Bricking, in short often relates to some process that will often permanently destroy your device software-wise. It is often unrepairable except for that usual rare method that MAY save the device.

Bricking usually involves the firmware of a device and the very hidden memory that is often carried over through hard resets and such. Think of it like the "Brain" of your device. If it gets ever so slightly tampered with in the wrong way (such as a flash, which would be the equivalent of brain surgery here) it can be permanently damaged forever.

Trust me, you have NOTHING to worry about here, if you read ALL the documentation before hand, and ask simple questions around, you will not brick your device.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

It's the same for phones. Phones can also be bricked not by software upgrades gone bad or hardware failure; but as a result of being lost or stolen on certain carriers. On CDMA carriers, a phone can be bricked if it is stolen pretty easily, because most (the standard actually has a provision allowing the equivalent of a GSM SIM and is used by some South Korean carriers) CDMA phones have a ESN that is hard-wired to the device and thus can be blacklisted.

The origins of the term "brick" comes actually from the computer CMOS chip world. Due to the nature of CMOS and similar semiconductors; writing data to them can be very dangerous. If a data write goes bad for a myriad of reasons, the CMOS chip is essentially useless. Since most computers and complex electronics have some sort of CMOS-type semiconductor in them used as an essential piece, it's pretty much a fact of life.

So now you're stuck with a very expensive piece of useless equipment. Since computers, routers, phones, and most other electronics are square and usually relatively heavy, they are compared to the only thing you can do with heavy square objects other than make a wall out of them; use them as paperweights. And what is the best paperweight? A brick.

I just went waaaaay into this. Lol, my ADDHD-IA medicine makes me super analytical the first few minutes it kicks in. Just be glad I didn't try to explain this out loud, I could have made a History Channel monologue.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch diamond
Threadstarter

Astrak is just getting started

I can thank you for that one, mutiny32, I completely understand where the term come's from and I know how it works on a public safety/business trunked radio system and I assume cellular works in a similar way as a trunked radio system. So I assume cell phones can be bricked the same way. I was just wondering if there was an in depth description.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung i760

Mamastechno is a n00b
Talking Re: What does brick really mean?

Thanks for the info...I am really "newbie" material here and have just started. I wanted to speed up my i760 and tether it. Got some great info but do some additional research prior to adding additional software/components.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: None YET
Carrier: for $55 chuck "What can be both Insect & Sport?

Weltschmer_Ze Vampdoll is a n00b

No analytic in this dystopia could have ever predict, conclude,etc. that a simple lil paragraph...{I just went waaaaay into this. Lol, my ADDHD-IA medicine makes me super analytical the first few minutes it kicks in. Just be glad I didn't try to explain this out loud, I could have made a History Channel monologue}...IS THE REASON I JOINED THIS SITE!
*sorry but I love meeting my Janus' in random places! * and btw MUTINY32 the explanation was great!

Last edited by Weltschmer_Ze Vampdoll; 10-17-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: forgot to mention his username

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions