PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   running out of memory, how to cleanup? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144163)

monkeyboy 06-02-2011 01:14 AM

running out of memory, how to cleanup?

on a Sprint Diamond running MR4 (WM6.1)...

I'm down to about 5MB of storage memory left out of the 115MB. But I don't know of any good way to figure out what can be deleted. I really don't have all that many apps/progs installed. And its not pictures, videos, etc. I've done a search for big files... nothing much is found.

I'm guess there is just a bunch of junk in \Windows. I don't want to do a hard reset. How can I easily figure out where all the memory is going and what can be deleted?

aedon 06-03-2011 03:27 PM

Re: running out of memory, how to cleanup?

if your still running 6.1, then there might be alllooot going into the updates and such, the longer a specific os is running, the more updates it downloads afterall.

Unfortunaty to say... the best advice I have for you is to probably do a hard reset.
It will clean up all the old updates and only download the most recent and needed ones, for the most part that is.

If you dont have that many apps or pisctures.. then thats the only thing I could think of it being.

If you have a storage card id transfer everything over and just reset it.

Have you concidered upgrading to 6.5?

I personaly think that it runs alot smoother then 6.1
I couldnt stand 6.1. now I cant really stand 6.5 now that im running 6.5.3 lol
go figure

demonlordoftheround 06-03-2011 05:11 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; FROYO X GINGER 2.2.2 Build/FROYO X GINGER 2.2.2) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Try going in to your messaging app and delete emails, sms and mms then empty the deleted items folder for email mms and sms.

monkeyboy 06-04-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedon (Post 2110800)
if your still running 6.1, then there might be alllooot going into the updates and such, the longer a specific os is running, the more updates it downloads afterall.

Unfortunaty to say... the best advice I have for you is to probably do a hard reset.
It will clean up all the old updates and only download the most recent and needed ones, for the most part that is.

If you dont have that many apps or pisctures.. then thats the only thing I could think of it being.

If you have a storage card id transfer everything over and just reset it.

Have you concidered upgrading to 6.5?

I personaly think that it runs alot smoother then 6.1
I couldnt stand 6.1. now I cant really stand 6.5 now that im running 6.5.3 lol
go figure

thanks for the input....
not sure what updates youre talking about... I dont know of any.
I know hard reset is the ultimate solution, but I would lose all the registry hacks and other mods... it would take a lot of time to reconstruct...

I run WM6.1 because once stripped of Titanium, Manila, Sense and all that other crap, it seems to be the fastest and most stable. I can run for weeks without a soft reset or reboot. Plus I hate the WM6.5 Start Menu honeycomb.

I'm thinking I will take a spare Diamond and flash it with the same ROM, then do a directory by directory compare to see where the "growth" is...
Got to be some hidden folders of crap somewhere...

smileyface22 06-04-2011 01:51 PM

Wirelessly posted (TP2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Do you watch a lot of youtube? It leaves behind tons of crap in its windows folder.

aedon 06-04-2011 07:03 PM

i dont like the honeycomb either, but there are apps that rearange it in a row like fashon.

I can post it if youd like.
If you do have a spare phone like you mensioned, then maybe you could try out a different rom with different thing just to see what you think of it.
Worst comes to worst you can just go back without effecting your good phone