PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

jbroses is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon discontinuing Wireless Sync - Alternatives?

I figure others must be in the same boat, so I'd like to hear thoughts. I currently use Verizon Wireless Sync. The program installs on your PC and WM phone and push syncs data to both devices via a "cloud." It's great because changes on one device update to the other within minutes, automatically. The program is free.

However, Verizon is discontinuing this at the end of the year. I've been looking into solutions, and this is the best I've found:

I did a trial of CompanionLink for Windows Mobile/Outlook (free 2 week trial, license is $39.95). This syncs my PC's outlook (contacts, calendar and tasks) to Gmail. You can configure your WM phone to sync with Google via free Google Mobile Sync (and as I understand it, Android phones automatically sync up with your gmail account). So this should work for contacts and calendar.

However, tasks are a problem. Companion Link's website says "Tasks map to the Google calendar as untimed events". This doesn't sound great, but I'm not sure how to get around it (or if this wouldn't be an issue on an Android phone). Note that Google Mobile Sync for WM does NOT sync tasks.

For calendar and contacts, sync is supposedly 2-way, so you can update an item on either your phone, PC or gmail, and it will automatically update on the other 2 (I haven't confirmed this, though).

The program was pretty easy to install and set up (I purged my gmail contacts, calendar and tasks first, just to be safe). The only moderately annoying thing is that there's no push function like in Wireless Sync (sync automatically on changes). But you can set your Outlook to sync like every 15 minutes, so it's not a huge deal.

Stinks that it's $39.95, but looks like the closest analog to Wireless Sync that you can get.

I would love to hear any other alternatives people have looked at. I love my TP2, but at the end of my contract I may have to switch to Android if it lets me more seamlessly sync tasks...
Old 11-30-2010, 12:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch/ Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

gottago is a n00b
Re: Verizon discontinuing Wireless Sync - Alternatives?

You might want to check out Funambol.com (open source version). I have used it for synching Thunderbird w/Lightning and my TP2. However, development of Thunderbird outpaced the development of Funambol, so I had to set aside until things settle down.

Check it out and hopefully it will work for you. By the way, Funambol is free for personal use. https://www.forge.funambol.org/learn/

Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

jbroses is a n00b
Re: Verizon discontinuing Wireless Sync - Alternatives?

Very glad you mentioned this... I looked into Funambol, but apparently you have to run your own Sync server, which seems like it's beyond my capabilities. Alternatively, they'll let you use their server for free for 90 days, but then they start charging you monthly. I'd rather pay a one-time fee for software and have Google host my "cloud" for free.

Do you have any advice on this, or is my summary pretty much right?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions