PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What the hell were the designers thinking? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=137377)

walla 11-22-2010 09:50 AM

What the hell were the designers thinking?

I had noticed that Microsoft started placing a huge start button, contacts button etc on the bottom. Now the bar on the bottom has doubled in size and the there is space left on the top bar.

Why Microsoft -- why? That's one of the main reason I steer away from new rom updates. I like the two bars (top and bottom) to be as thin as possible like in 6.5. I can't believe the Chefs are embracing this ridiculous and pointless design update (which rolled out long time ago).

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u4616...nd_edition.jpg

gTen 11-22-2010 09:53 AM

Re: What the hell were the designers thinking?

M$ goal with 6.5.3 was to make it more finger friendly...most chefs offer 2 versions...6.5 and 6.5.3

GirlGoneGeek 11-22-2010 12:18 PM

to each his own i guess. i think it looks sort of cool ;)

AZTECHKA 11-22-2010 12:32 PM

The Touch is 6.5.3 capable?
Cool...

Anyway... I still have my old touch... My son uses it to watch movies on (he's 4) And even he has to bust out the stilus just to be able to navigate to and pick the right movie on file explorer... The bigger buttons seem as though it would make things a bit easier to use without the need for a stilus.
p.

DavidinCT 11-22-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walla (Post 2000579)
I had noticed that Microsoft started placing a huge start button, contacts button etc on the bottom. Now the bar on the bottom has doubled in size and the there is space left on the top bar.

Why Microsoft -- why? That's one of the main reason I steer away from new rom updates. I like the two bars (top and bottom) to be as thin as possible like in 6.5. I can't believe the Chefs are embracing this ridiculous and pointless design update (which rolled out long time ago).

Someone had a post around here with a file that makes the lower button clear, still about the same size but, the clear ones look so much better.

I tried to look for the link before posting but, could not find it. When I had my titan, the first thing I would install after installing a 6.5.3+ build would be installing that.

I too, really hate the look of those lower buttons (start/contacts, etc)

2 Bunny 11-22-2010 10:07 PM

DESIGN FAIL Reply

WM6.1 FTW! I thought I was the only person on here who preferred 6.1 over 6.5. To be honest, maybe it was a good thing MS discontinued Windows Mobile before it slid too much further downhill. 6.1 was definitely its peak, and I hate all the 6.5+ nonsense.

IMO. If you compare the resolution of a VGA or WVGA device with your computer monitor (say if you're posting or viewing unresized screenshots), you'll see just how much space is wasted when we make it "finger friendly". Who's stupid idea was that anyway? I can navigate about 95% of the WM6.1 "finger unfriendly" GUI without problem. I can get a whole lot more done without unrolling miles of toilet paper looking for whatever oversized button is necessary to complete a trivial task.

Back in the day of QVGA Screens, we were able to do so much with so little, and now we have screens four times larger (and then some), and we can't fit half the buttons on the screen that we could've before. If I were to pin blame for this whole "downhill slide" in the mobile market in general since 2005 or 2006 or whatever, I would blame Apple with their Apple phone. Why people think that this needed to be copied, I do not know. Since someone still saw the need for "appz" and "hacking" and "customization", Android, the child of Windows Mobile and Apple Operating system was born. This is why Android grew so quickly. Even if it isn't the best, its all anyone has come up with to bridge that "Apple Google Bridge". Like it or not, for better or for worse, Android is the future.

And that's all I gotta say about that...

- 2 Bunny

DavidinCT 12-03-2010 05:38 PM

Re: DESIGN FAIL Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Bunny (Post 2001067)
WM6.1 FTW! I thought I was the only person on here who preferred 6.1 over 6.5. To be honest, maybe it was a good thing MS discontinued Windows Mobile before it slid too much further downhill. 6.1 was definitely its peak, and I hate all the 6.5+ nonsense.

<snip>

And that's all I gotta say about that...

- 2 Bunny

Don't get me wrong I didn't really care for the stock look of 6.5.3X but, 6.5 I loved. 6.1 is a joke compared. 6.5 gives 6.1 a finger frendly interface, 6.1 you NEED a sylus to use it.

6.5= 6.1 with a finger frendly interface

6.5 really does blow away 6.1...

2 Bunny 12-03-2010 08:16 PM

PERSPECTIVE Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2006873)
Don't get me wrong I didn't really care for the stock look of 6.5.3X but, 6.5 I loved. 6.1 is a joke compared. 6.5 gives 6.1 a finger frendly interface, 6.1 you NEED a sylus to use it.

6.5= 6.1 with a finger frendly interface

6.5 really does blow away 6.1...

To be honest, I use my hand most of the time in 6.1. I only use a stylus if I am setting the device on a table. Its all in how you use it, right? ☺

- 2 Bunny

austin420 12-03-2010 08:19 PM

Re: PERSPECTIVE Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Bunny (Post 2006987)
To be honest, I use my hand most of the time

- 2 Bunny

whooo. i dont know if id admit that!

AZTECHKA 12-03-2010 08:26 PM

I use a stilus, a pen, a pencil, a paperclip, a coin, a rusty nail... Whatever the heck is around. My monkey hands doen't get along with 6.1 or 6.5 I want to upgrade to 6.5.3 Just don't wanna get away from a stock rom... Might be time to flash though.
p.