PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Windows is not dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Windows is a brand name synonyms with microsoft. Imagine trying to start with out any name recognition.
Ok..but see Windows in them makes people think PC or computer..at at same time they are saying "no its not a pocket pc its a phone"..kinda diluting the brand dont you think?

Plus Zune has a brand with name recognition as well and is associated with portable devices.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm not sure the average consumer knows what a zune is, while everyone knows what an I anything is.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

But we are talking about WinMo and Microsoft and that is software not hardware. Of course the hardware is better on Android because it's newer. I wanted a HD2 on Sprint but it wasn't meant to be.
We care about hardware but most people don't. They just wanna do stuff the easiest way possible. Microsoft just wanted to get rid of the baggage of WinMo and start over.
HD2 on Sprint would've made me seriously consider upgrading after a while even though I just got my Diamond over the summer. I was never a huge fan of the capacitive screen though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
you can't really compare a port to the actual thing :/
Its still Android, right?

Quote:
why do you need to dig deep..on home page you click menu, then settings and its there. for fast access to turn off stuff I just drag down the notification bar and its there
Step 1: Unlock with silly "slider unlock"
Step 2: Press on "Programs"
Step 3: Toilet paper scroll down to "Settings"
Step 4: Open settings
Step 5: Toilet paper scroll down to the wireless settings...
etc. etc. etc.

WinMo (with a fast an' easy registry tweak)
Step 1: Unlock with quick and to the point tap here, then there to unlock.
Step 2: Press "Comm Manager"
Step 3: Tap slider
Done.

Quote:

.just download the apk and run it..same way as a cab.

No, you need to have a file explorer. Some versions of Android come with OI File manager (if you recall, Windows Mobile always had a dedicated File Explorer that could let you install applications you already had installers for right out of the box.).

You still shouldn't need a silly Google account to pay for stuff. You can buy Windows Apps, laptops, HTC HD2s, Chevrolet Motorhomes, Garbage cans, shovels and more with little more than a PayPal account.

Quote:

The on screen keyboard is made for capacitive screens..aka without using a stylus...if you consider that it makes sense...again you have to try a real device and not a port to see...
It doesn't matter what kind of screen you have. Software isn't made for one "type of screen" or another. We have Resistive and Capacitive Windows Mobile devices, and as far as I know their Programs, registry entries, skins, keyboards, and more are all compatible across Resistive and Capacitive.

Quote:

????..have you tried hitting the back button?
Yes, it has no effect.

Quote:

Thats not true...if your phone has a trackball or a keyboard you can scroll that way..some apps like Astro have a built in scroll bar as well..again its how the capacitive screen works...
What about the HD2? That's got a capacitive screen and minimal TPS.

Quote:
I have no clue...
A Security Camera app...

- 2 Bunny
Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
Its still Android, right?
Yes..just like a car with no wheels is still a car right? lol..a port is a port..it has "issues"..

Quote:
Step 1: Unlock with silly "slider unlock"
Step 2: Press on "Programs"
Step 3: Toilet paper scroll down to "Settings"
Step 4: Open settings
Step 5: Toilet paper scroll down to the wireless settings...
etc. etc. etc.

WinMo (with a fast an' easy registry tweak)
Step 1: Unlock with quick and to the point tap here, then there to unlock.
Step 2: Press "Comm Manager"
Step 3: Tap slider
Done.
so your doing a registry tweak on winmo but nothing on android? on android you can install a different unlocker with a tap..as far as basic turning off stuff can be accessed via the notification bar...or you can add a shortcut/widget to the homescreen to go directly into wireless settings.

Quote:
No, you need to have a file explorer. Some versions of Android come with OI File manager (if you recall, Windows Mobile always had a dedicated File Explorer that could let you install applications you already had installers for right out of the box.).
to access the file system yes you need to download a file explorer such as Astro or etc...but its same thing as Total Commander being an essential for winmo for some stuff...That said, you can install apps without it...you dont need access to IO to install apps..if you mean reinstall apps that can be done from task manager.

Quote:
You still shouldn't need a silly Google account to pay for stuff. You can buy Windows Apps, laptops, HTC HD2s, Chevrolet Motorhomes, Garbage cans, shovels and more with little more than a PayPal account.
Wait...you have a problem getting a google account but fine with a paypal account? (Also rumor is paypal is going to be allowed in android market soon)..what next you shouldn't need to have a bank account to issue checks? lol

Quote:
It doesn't matter what kind of screen you have. Software isn't made for one "type of screen" or another. We have Resistive and Capacitive Windows Mobile devices, and as far as I know their Programs, registry entries, skins, keyboards, and more are all compatible across Resistive and Capacitive.
only winmo 6.5 adds more capactive friendly interface with sense ui...again android is made for capacitive screens..it can be used on a resistive screen but you need to make modifications.

Quote:
Yes, it has no effect.
Your port has issues then...

Quote:
What about the HD2? That's got a capacitive screen and minimal TPS.
winmo 6.5 added that kind of scrolling as well...and have you tried using the scroll bar on a capacitive screen? its too small...that said Astro manager has a nice implementation of a scroll bar on a capacitive screen.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

It looks like this fight is going to go down to the scorecards....
And we have a split decision!

Judge #1 scores it 98/97 gTen
Judge #2 scores it 97/98 2 Bunny

And the deciding vote......

Judge #3 scores it 100/96 gTen

The winner, and STILL Heavyweight Champion of the World is
gTen!!!

Face it bro, Android is the future.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Meh!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo
And we have a split decision!

Judge #1 scores it 98/97 gTen
Judge #2 scores it 97/98 2 Bunny

And the deciding vote......

Judge #3 scores it 100/96 gTen

The winner, and STILL Heavyweight Champion of the World is
gTen!!!

Does gTen win a Windows Phone 7?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile HOLD YOUR HORSES Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post

Does gTen win a Windows Phone 7?
ROFL! Its donation time, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
Well I never really intended for it to be a fight. I just put a lot of space between my quotes, so I guess it does sort of look that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post

Quote:
LOL! What have I started? ☺

In all seriousness though, Android is the future weather we like it or not. It grew even faster than apple because it had just a little bit of "freedom", but all the toilet paper scrolling and "Apple Esque" things that Apple has forced down the throat of society, and no poll on "The Wall Street Journal" is going to change that (unfortunately).

Not to mention SuperDVR for Mobile still wouldn't render right if it wasn't for "Android", so its not all bad ☺.

- 2 Bunny

Quote:
Yes..just like a car with no wheels is still a car right? lol..a port is a port..it has "issues"..
By all means. I remember the day someone "ported" Windows operating systems to Apple computers.

Quote:

so your doing a registry tweak on winmo but nothing on android? on android you can install a different unlocker with a tap..as far as basic turning off stuff can be accessed via the notification bar...or you can add a shortcut/widget to the homescreen to go directly into wireless settings.

What kind of unlockers have they got? As far as "basic turning off stuff can be accessed via the notification bar", I can say from firsthand experience that this simply isn't true. You could be right about putting a shortcut to the settings on the "Today" screen.

Quote:

to access the file system yes you need to download a file explorer such as Astro or etc...but its same thing as Total Commander being an essential for winmo for some stuff...That said, you can install apps without it...you dont need access to IO to install apps..if you mean reinstall apps that can be done from task manager.
My point exactly. If you don't happen to have a ROM with a file explorer preinstalled, you're pretty much screwed because you can't open the Android'Stallers. In the end, many aspects of the system force you to have a Google account. Just like YouTube wants me to have, and it yells at me every... single... time... I log into my account.

Quote:

Wait...you have a problem getting a google account but fine with a paypal account? (Also rumor is paypal is going to be allowed in android market soon)..what next you shouldn't need to have a bank account to issue checks? lol
I just don't feel I need a Google account. LOL! You're sounding like YouTube now, "GET A GOOGLE ACCCCCCOOOOUUUUUNNNTTT".

Quote:
only winmo 6.5 adds more capactive friendly interface with sense ui...again android is made for capacitive screens..it can be used on a resistive screen but you need to make modifications.

This still has nothing to do with the default keyboard. I have used that EzInput clone that they have on native android devices, and it responds better. Hopefully that stock keyboard never sees the light of day again though.

Quote:

Your port has issues then...

I think its fine. Why would they have two buttons that "stow" the keyboard anyay?

Quote:

winmo 6.5 added that kind of scrolling as well...and have you tried using the scroll bar on a capacitive screen? its too small...that said Astro manager has a nice implementation of a scroll bar on a capacitive screen.
Yes indeed. It is available on WM6.1 as well. Although you did carry a point, capacitive screens are less precise and scrollbars are not always the most efficient way to go when you can't grab them because of hardware limitations (5% Sarcasm).

Search Grooveshark for "Dane Cook - The Chicken Sangwich, the Heckler, and the Kabash".

For everyone else reading, this isn't a "fight" or a "boxing ring", LOL!, just a healthy reply. It may come across as a "boxing ring" because of the long quotes though, but just try to think of it as "just another reply in the count to a million thread".

Thanks.

- 2 Bunny
Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Actually, I find this whole conversation fascinating. The boxing joke was just lighten the mood a little.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Re: HOLD YOUR HORSES Reply

Quote:
ROFL! Its donation time, LOL!
As long as its not an iphone..ill live..lol

Quote:
By all means. I remember the day someone "ported" Windows operating systems to Apple computers.
Do you mean after Apple went intel or before that?

Quote:
What kind of unlockers have they got? As far as "basic turning off stuff can be accessed via the notification bar", I can say from firsthand experience that this simply isn't true. You could be right about putting a shortcut to the settings on the "Today" screen.
There is a saying...a picture is worth a thousand words:

As for lockscreens, there are plenty of them with everythign from nubmers, to patterns, to 1 click, to slide to no lock screen at all

Quote:
My point exactly. If you don't happen to have a ROM with a file explorer preinstalled, you're pretty much screwed because you can't open the Android'Stallers. In the end, many aspects of the system force you to have a Google account. Just like YouTube wants me to have, and it yells at me every... single... time... I log into my account.
I havent seen one Android without a file browser, its there by default..if you mean the ones that can access the file system, you dont need them to install apps I'm telling you! lol

also you can install apps via ADB...

Quote:
I just don't feel I need a Google account. LOL! You're sounding like YouTube now, "GET A GOOGLE ACCCCCCOOOOUUUUUNNNTTT".

There are other appstores for android other then Google one...Google one is just there by default and has the most apps...you can use the other appstores or download apks...also if I remember correctly winmo appstore required a live account...

Quote:
This still has nothing to do with the default keyboard. I have used that EzInput clone that they have on native android devices, and it responds better. Hopefully that stock keyboard never sees the light of day again though.
I have no clue mine came preloaded with swype

Quote:
I think its fine. Why would they have two buttons that "stow" the keyboard anyay?
I have no clue how they mapped the buttons on the Diamond..the home button on mine takes you to the home screen and back button goes back to where I was.

Quote:
Yes indeed. It is available on WM6.1 as well. Although you did carry a point, capacitive screens are less precise and scrollbars are not always the most efficient way to go when you can't grab them because of hardware limitations (5% Sarcasm).
Yes, they would be fairly unusable...I personally like resistive screens more but im getting used to the capacitive one...on a capacitive screen toilet scrolling as you call it is also easier then on a resistive one.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions