PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Windows is not dead! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=135864)

Hypnotic2010 10-25-2010 11:59 AM

Re: Windows is not dead!

Yep, heres the proof:
http://y.msmobiles.com/microsoft/windows-mobile-rip.jpg

demonlordoftheround 10-25-2010 12:18 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

That was cruel, LOL.

orangekid 10-25-2010 06:04 PM

I want to know who actually voted in that pole, probably some ROM chefs and ppcg and xda users.

Why don't we compare market share of Mobile OS devices. Pretty grim for windows mobile.

File:Smartphone share current.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(that's as of 12 Aug, 2010)

And since MS has stopped making phones than run 6.x it's downhill from there.

we'll just have to see about wp7

gTen 10-25-2010 06:33 PM

Re: WINDOWS MOBILE WIN Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Bunny (Post 1980289)
Heh, FAIL. I used Android on my Diamond for a little bit and couldn't stand it.

you can't really compare a port to the actual thing :/

Quote:

What operating system makes you dig deep in the settings just to get to bits and pieces of an incomplete "comm manager"?
why do you need to dig deep..on home page you click menu, then settings and its there. for fast access to turn off stuff I just drag down the notification bar and its there

Quote:

What OS makes you have a stupid Google account just to install applications unless you have a ROM that comes with OI file manager, from which you can install applications you downloaded from sites that don't make you have a Google account?
You don't need a Google Account to install apps..its just to access the marketplace...you obviously need to make an account because some apps are paid and you gotta pay somehow...otherwise you can install apps without root access no problem...just download the apk and run it..same way as a cab.

Quote:

What kind of pathetic excuse for a default onscreen keyboard is that thing (I've used an HTC customized Android device, and that makes it a bit more usable though to be honest)?
The on screen keyboard is made for capacitive screens..aka without using a stylus...if you consider that it makes sense...again you have to try a real device and not a port to see...

Quote:

What Mobile OS doesn't let you "stow away" your onscreen keyboard without holding down the home button for a half hour?
????..have you tried hitting the back button?

Quote:

What OS offers nothing but Toilet Paper scrolling?
Thats not true...if your phone has a trackball or a keyboard you can scroll that way..some apps like Astro have a built in scroll bar as well..again its how the capacitive screen works...

Quote:

What OS renders SuperCam (SuperDVR Mobile application) correctly?
I have no clue...

Quote:

WinMo - 5
Android - 1
Recount? lol

Quote:

Just my "Two or three cents".
Its 4 cents these days..:/ lol

Personally I like winmo a lot..but unfortunately M$ doesn't want to give it to us..so far Ive been playing with my Epic and I'm fairly happy with it..I cant say there was one thing I couldnt do on my Epic that my TP2 could do..for one searching the web used to be a pain on my TP2 but I enjoy it more on my epic...that said it has more to do with he processor rather then the OS.

horndoctor 10-25-2010 07:17 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

WinMo is still a very powerful and versatile OS. It has never been as popular and probably never will be because most people want a very intuative interface that any monkey can operate and they want what they see on TV. Just because something is not as popular doesn't mean that it sucks or is unusable.
Hopefully Microsoft will start the marketing soon and it sounds like the interface has been dumbed down enough for WP7 to succeed. ;)

gTen 10-25-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1981078)
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

WinMo is still a very powerful and versatile OS. It has never been as popular and probably never will be because most people want a very intuative interface that any monkey can operate and they want what they see on TV. Just because something is not as popular doesn't mean that it sucks or is unusable.
Hopefully Microsoft will start the marketing soon and it sounds like the interface has been dumbed down enough for WP7 to succeed. ;)

Actually, most people initially just wanted the device to respond faster..the UI is not really what killed winmo..its the hardware...the hardware made the UI harder to use...

If the TP2 came out in the US at the same time it came out in Europe and had a snapdragon..the TP3 and HD3 would have been Winmo...

horndoctor 10-25-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen
Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1981078)

Actually, most people initially just wanted the device to respond faster..the UI is not really what killed winmo..its the hardware...the hardware made the UI harder to use...

If the TP2 came out in the US at the same time it came out in Europe and had a snapdragon..the TP3 and HD3 would have been Winmo...

But we are talking about WinMo and Microsoft and that is software not hardware. Of course the hardware is better on Android because it's newer. I wanted a HD2 on Sprint but it wasn't meant to be. :(
We care about hardware but most people don't. They just wanna do stuff the easiest way possible. Microsoft just wanted to get rid of the baggage of WinMo and start over.

gTen 10-25-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1981107)

But we are talking about WinMo and Microsoft and that is software not hardware. Of course the hardware is better on Android because it's newer. I wanted a HD2 on Sprint but it wasn't meant to be. :(
We care about hardware but most people don't. They just wanna do stuff the easiest way possible. Microsoft just wanted to get rid of the baggage of WinMo and start over.

Software and Hardware go hand in hand..every year M$ should have set "some" requirements...for example..not letting HTC pull the no drivers thing and etc...that said the Snapdragon was already available at the time...they just didn't care to use it. See M$ works with its partners and I dont see why they let it slide out the door like they did.

So yes, I can understand why they would want to shed the badge..but at same time I think they should have just get rid off the "windows" to begin with and call it a Zune Phone or Zune Mobile or zPhone....

GirlGoneGeek 10-25-2010 08:41 PM

orangekid I see what you are saying though. I don't know what their purpose was for this poll. Hopefully we will find out soon.

demonlordoftheround 10-25-2010 09:19 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Windows is a brand name synonyms with microsoft. Imagine trying to start with out any name recognition.