PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   shut the phone off but keep data on (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134726)

violent31601 10-01-2010 04:22 PM

shut the phone off but keep data on

Is there any way to do this, I like to use my phone for tethering/gaming but everytime I receive a text/phone call I get kicked out. Is there any way around this?

shaggylive 10-01-2010 04:25 PM

Re: shut the phone off but keep data on

there is an setting in the phone options that lets you set evdo only. a reg edit may be needed to enable the setting.

when in evdo only calls might come in if the data is idle, but usually doesn't come through. also sms will not come in until the phone reverts back to 1x or hybrid.

2 Bunny 10-01-2010 05:49 PM

OPPOSITE WIN Reply

If you are referring to putting the device into standby and keeping data active, I have had the opposite problem. I am forever having to turn it off manually. If I shut the device off, data will stay on until it times out.

Funny how its the exact opposite, LOL!

- 2 Bunny

gTen 10-02-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violent31601 (Post 1962883)
Is there any way to do this, I like to use my phone for tethering/gaming but everytime I receive a text/phone call I get kicked out. Is there any way around this?

Nope, not possible...it is a limitation of CDMA tech used today...the only way around this that I can think of is maybe setup a Google Voice or similar service and have people call/text that number which forwards to pc instead of phone..or if you have 4g in your area getting a 4g phone would work too.

Otherwise its not possible.

shaggylive 10-02-2010 03:09 PM

here's instructions from this thread
HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\PhoneSetting

Change the option HiddenModeOperationPage from 1 to 0

Then go to Phone/menu/option/service/and check in the list, "Mode of Operation" should be at the bottom. You have 3 choices, Hybrid, EVDO, and 1X.

also look @ the DDTM option in there too. ;)

@bunny I'm not sure you want to force the phone to kill the data connection on every sleep. primarly I think it could lead to sod's since it takes a few for the connection to terminate. as long as it's killing via the timeout then your fine.

2 Bunny 10-02-2010 08:57 PM

DATA Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 1963726)
here's instructions from this thread
HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\PhoneSetting

Change the option HiddenModeOperationPage from 1 to 0

Then go to Phone/menu/option/service/and check in the list, "Mode of Operation" should be at the bottom. You have 3 choices, Hybrid, EVDO, and 1X.

if you select EVDO then sms will NOT interrupt and an incoming call will only get through if the data traffic is low or idle if at all.

@bunny I'm not sure you want to force the phone to kill the data connection on every sleep. primarly I think it could lead to sod's since it takes a few for the connection to terminate. as long as it's killing via the timeout then your fine.

Does "SOD" mean "Sleep of Death"?

I found that I can map the end key (when you hold it down) to terminate the data connection. There could've been a better use for it, but I think it is pretty handy.

- 2 Bunny

kaos 10-03-2010 02:59 PM

Re: DATA Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Bunny (Post 1963988)
Does "SOD" mean "Sleep of Death"?

I found that I can map the end key (when you hold it down) to terminate the data connection. There could've been a better use for it, but I think it is pretty handy.

- 2 Bunny

ya thats what sod means basically phone goes night night and doesn't come back screen wise.

shaggylive 10-04-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violent31601 (Post 1962883)

ok so I was wrong, but I knew there was a way to do this..
"DDTM mode" in settings/phone/cdma services

violent31601 06-16-2011 12:24 PM

sorry to resurrect an old thread but, when you force your phone to EVDO. Text messages will all come when you turn 1x mode (Hybrid) back on correct?

MrObvious 06-16-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violent31601 (Post 2115937)
sorry to resurrect an old thread but, when you force your phone to EVDO. Text messages will all come when you turn 1x mode (Hybrid) back on correct?

Yeah. It disables all 1x services, which are only calls/texts.