PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 04:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry You, Me, Companies that don't really care, and Warez!?

Ok I was involved in a thread about Garmin Mobile XT, in that thread 2010 maps came up, I asked about those maps and received a mild reprimand from a moderator (they where black market), I don’t have a problem with that, or the moderator!! But it did bring up a question, so you pay good money for a program, in this case about $100.00, expecting the company to stand behind that program and offer, for a price, updates to keep the software usable and current, then that company just drops it from their line up, no support, no updates (This is a program that we all know needs updates to stay current we all buy these programs expecting them to stay current) nothing from them except sorry dude your out of luck.
So do these companies deserve the respect that we would give a company that honors their product, and implied future of that product?
How far do they really need/deserve to be protected for their intellectual property? I know I can go buy another program to do basically the same thing, but $100.00!! for a program that was basically outdated when they released it what with the growth that was going on before the economy went south, then just drop it.
I know this is sour grapes on my part but it still begs the questions
Terry
Old 08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile WAREZ Reply

At this point in time, it really doesn't matter as much as it used to because Microsoft (of all people) has provided you with a good excuse: It doesn't make any difference anymore because Windows Mobile is being discontinued. People have already stopped making software long ago (Firefox Mobile, for example), and as the date of Windows Mobile's demise approaches, people will continue to cease development for it. Just like you stopped seeing people selling Palm OS apps shortly after Palm halted the Palm OS, you don't hear about Windows Mobile apps anymore, and 5+ years down the road (when the hardware is really outdated), people will quit Windows Mobile in droves. Sure, they can still sell the software after it is outdated, but people no longer buy it, so it'll be like the Palm OS is today - there, but not a big staple anymore. Depending on the obsolence of the product, you may wish to still support the developer, but if Garmin has moved on to "bigger and better" (at least their idea of "bigger and better", android, Apple, WebOS) then it is really up to you.

Or maybe I'm being too cruel? You decide.

- 2 Bunny
Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: You, Me, Companies that don't really care, and Warez!?

Problem is they stopped supporting WM before Microsoft stopped!
But I actualy ment this in a broader sence then just Garmin, and WM, I just used them as an example.
Terry
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: viruson warelous

milesius is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: WAREZ Reply

Correct me plz, but isn't WM actually just being replaced by Phone 7 ? so its not like Microsoft is getting out of the mobile game, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
At this point in time, it really doesn't matter as much as it used to because Microsoft (of all people) has provided you with a good excuse: It doesn't make any difference anymore because Windows Mobile is being discontinued. People have already stopped making software long ago (Firefox Mobile, for example), and as the date of Windows Mobile's demise approaches, people will continue to cease development for it. Just like you stopped seeing people selling Palm OS apps shortly after Palm halted the Palm OS, you don't hear about Windows Mobile apps anymore, and 5+ years down the road (when the hardware is really outdated), people will quit Windows Mobile in droves. Sure, they can still sell the software after it is outdated, but people no longer buy it, so it'll be like the Palm OS is today - there, but not a big staple anymore. Depending on the obsolence of the product, you may wish to still support the developer, but if Garmin has moved on to "bigger and better" (at least their idea of "bigger and better", android, Apple, WebOS) then it is really up to you.

Or maybe I'm being too cruel? You decide.

- 2 Bunny
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned User

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Post Re: WAREZ Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesius View Post
Correct me plz, but isn't WM actually just being replaced by Phone 7 ? so its not like Microsoft is getting out of the mobile game, right?
Well, they are switching from the Smartphone to the Dumbphone market, so in a way they are, but just slapping real Windows Mobile customers in the face.

- 2 Bunny
Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: WAREZ Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
Well, they are switching from the Smartphone to the Dumbphone market, so in a way they are, but just slapping real Windows Mobile customers in the face.

- 2 Bunny
And I am so tired of b eing slapped in the face my next phone is going to be an android, first it was Palm, now WM, I don't have a very good track record, lets see if me going with Android ruins those phones too!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned User

Red face Re: WAREZ Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
And I am so tired of b eing slapped in the face my next phone is going to be an android, first it was Palm, now WM, I don't have a very good track record, lets see if me going with Android ruins those phones too!
Android looks cool on the outside, but there's too much "toilet paper" in the UI for me. Its the next best thing though if something doesn't come up in the meantime.

- 2 Bunny
Old 08-28-2010, 03:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Maybe I'm not following, but in a nutshell... you got a GPS program and you're mad that they decided not to make updates for it anymore? I mean, do you really drive on new roads so often that the 'outdated' maps are causing you to get lost?

I paid 200 bucks for a Mio that's now 4 or 5 years old, and stills works great though I haven't updated it. (and those updates btw cost like 100 bucks, you could get a new device/program for that much).

I guess I'd be mad if I spent 200 bucks then I realized... oh crap, my phone has sprint nav + google maps built in, I coulda gotten this service for free. But without my phone I'd be pretty happy with the money I spent years ago, even knowing the GPS will never improve.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedo View Post
Maybe I'm not following, but in a nutshell... you got a GPS program and you're mad that they decided not to make updates for it anymore? I mean, do you really drive on new roads so often that the 'outdated' maps are causing you to get lost?

I paid 200 bucks for a Mio that's now 4 or 5 years old, and stills works great though I haven't updated it. (and those updates btw cost like 100 bucks, you could get a new device/program for that much).

I guess I'd be mad if I spent 200 bucks then I realized... oh crap, my phone has sprint nav + google maps built in, I coulda gotten this service for free. But without my phone I'd be pretty happy with the money I spent years ago, even knowing the GPS will never improve.
Well first off yes I guess that's it I am a little POed that they charge som much for any program that relies on updates then tell you sorry.
To answer your question yes I do travel on new roads a lot, you need to know/remember that I live in Ut. we have had a lot of groweth in the past few years, I-15 was drasticly changed, new exits, most all exits where renamed, new roads, new neighborhoods, a lot of changes.
Sprint nav. as bad as it is, is NOT free, google maps is free, but you need an internet connection for them, have you ever been on a motorcycle in the sun and tried to read Google maps? next to impossible! that and the fact that I am not always in coverage areas make Sprint nav, and googlemaps useless.
Terry
Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

so u just bought software that according to the website last saw an update in 2007 and your mad because you just figured out that they are not updating it.

look at the supported device lineup the have for XT, if that didnt give away that its one year older then dirt then i dont know what will.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions