PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: i910 w/ BL's wm 6.5.3, SPBMS
Carrier: v

kendubya is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is winmo dying?

It just seems as an OS, its gasping for air.

I mean, I've been winmo since wince. But android? It looks to me like winmo without the downside.

Am I wrong? Should I wait for 7?

I'm confused. I'm holding scissors...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:42 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Is winmo dying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendubya View Post
It just seems as an OS, its gasping for air.

I mean, I've been winmo since wince. But android? It looks to me like winmo without the downside.

Am I wrong? Should I wait for 7?

I'm confused. I'm holding scissors...
M$ merged winmo into the Windows Embeded tree..and is going to Apple's market of making a locked down OS which is WP7...it is built from scratch and has nothing to do with Winmo other then the kernal..

Android is pretty much going into the market share that winmo had. And next year MeeGo will also try to compete in that market share.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: i910 w/ BL's wm 6.5.3, SPBMS
Carrier: v
Threadstarter

kendubya is just getting started

read: Windows Phone 7 Don't bother with this disaster...

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/...r-disaster-211

Apparently, my feelings are well founded. Winphone 7 won't be the answer.

I feel like a cubs fan.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Who knows if WM will be around forever? Nobody. Go with what you want to go with.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!
Carrier: Sprint

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yes, no new phones avallible with wm6.5, development is almost non existant except for individual projects
Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu

Good article and unfortunately I think I am ready to concede that the WinMo arse has been thoroughly kicked. I'm looking at the Android phones now and I too started with WinCE in 1996.

Turn out he lights... the party's over....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile TOILET PAPER Reply

That's true. MS Quit Windows Mobile (as mentioned earlier Windows Mobile 7 is not Windows Mobile). Just like Sony "quit" making PlayStation 3s better and better (instead, fewer and fewer features).

Anyway, Windows Mobile will soon give way to the poorest GUIs in history and massive amounts of Toilet Paper scrolling. For the last 6, maybe seven years, we have started moving completely backwards in the GUIs in these OSes - we started with having up to 20 buttons on a screen that you could comfortably poke with a stylus, even a fingernail, and now apple steered us into NO Scrollbars, NO more than two massive buttons at a time on a screen. If you look back at it, its really a laughable fail.

What will the future hold? Maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg. Ten years, we'll have all 5.5 inch screens that are still these ridiculous touchscreens, and there will be two buttons at a time, max. We'll be toilet paper scrolling all day long to get through to the bottom of a good read in a thread say here at the PPCGeeks community forums, which is embarrassing, considering in the year 2006 or 2007 this task would have taken about one second because of those handy Windows Mobile scrollbars.

It stays alive as long as you want to keep it alive before taking the fail train even further.

- 2 Bunny
Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ATT Tilt 2
Carrier: ATT

daddyphattsakk is a n00b

heres the thing... what can you do with android that you cant with windows? i can personally do more with windows than android. AND i know that it will continue continue to do so.
android seems just as limitde as iphone...
just an opinion
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendubya View Post
read: Windows Phone 7 Don't bother with this disaster...

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/...r-disaster-211

Apparently, my feelings are well founded. Winphone 7 won't be the answer.

I feel like a cubs fan.
goto my wp7 thread and read 1 of 50 articles that are positive and proof wm isnt dead its just wp.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Thumbs down MOBILE 7 Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
goto my wp7 thread and read 1 of 50 articles that are positive and proof wm isnt dead its just wp.
WM7 is NOT WM. They just got bored of making a decent amount of money from one audience, so they dumped it out and quit, and want to start requesting a new audience of powerful hardware, useless software dumbphone users.

- 2 Bunny

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions