PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo baby
Carrier: sprint

ricchini2007 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is winmo dying?

i use to love windows but android is so pretty. i will never look back. does the hd2 have a front facing camera and can the hd2 make video calls not lol go droid droid
Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
Truthfully I'm really mad at Microsoft over all of this, this is 100% their fault & I'm seriously thinking of boycotting them altogether(not that it'll make a damn bit of difference to them, but it'll make me feel important, lol). If they'd have promoted WM as the versatile, fun, something-for-everyone OS that it really is, I think it'd be a lot more popular than it is. That's why the iPhone succeeded, Apple marketed it just right and even though it's a polished turd, it's the most popular device out there today. My HD2 is twice as powerful as the iPhone 4, but do you see people lining up outside the T-Mobile store overnight to buy one? Hell no, cause it's got an old fogey 'nerd' OS.

*sigh* I'll get off my soapbox now. I haz a sad. Goodbye WinMo
Actually thats exactly the problem....the one who killed WM is HTC....Don't get me wrong HTC was pretty much the only one willing to give us Winmo which I am thankful about..but in their skimping out on hardware..not paying a few bucks for drivers...letting carriers load it up with bloat-ware to the tooth...this is what killed Winmo for the average consumer...UI and all is nice but that can easily be changed with winmo..but the experience to users thay gave was for 500$ phones they lagged, hanged, crashed...

To be exact..after iphone 2...in terms of raw hardware..the iphone was better...the only phone right now with better hardware specs then the current iphones are pretty much the Galaxy S line...the HD2 is unfortunetly inferior in terms of raw hardware...

If HTC would have loaded a snapdragon like they should have on the TP2 and gotten carriers to release it on time rather then wait 6month..winmo would probably have continued on :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

How is the HD2 inferior? The only thing the iPhone has over is is the front facing camera & a slightly higher-res display. Not trying to argue, just curious where you get that perspective from.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Lurker

bcollier is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

This is a really great lively thread. Way too many good comments & views to quote & respond to directly. A few common feelings here: 1) We're long time (pre smartphone)handheld users. 2) We love this o/s or we wouldn't be here. 3) We're PO'd w/ MS, handset mfgr's & the telcoms for the major abandonment. . The question is: besides vent, (which is helpful) what can/are we going to do about it? Here's something I'd like to see: Sure, fold WinMo into Windows Embedded, but also, end what amounts to a reverse boycott of their own customer base. There is a sizeable market out here for this o/s (along w/ all the others including WinPhone) to be run on robust, feature packed hardware. I suggest we form an advocacy group or whatever would accurately describe us. Let's some how tie such a thread in w/ the other sites out there (to numerous to mention here). Let's demonstrate that there are real & marketable needs for WinMo and it's continued development still. - Thanks for the space.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
How is the HD2 inferior? The only thing the iPhone has over is is the front facing camera & a slightly higher-res display. Not trying to argue, just curious where you get that perspective from.
from 1 hd2 to another, "gtan" is like...whoa! lol
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollier View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

This is a really great lively thread. Way too many good comments & views to quote & respond to directly. A few common feelings here: 1) We're long time (pre smartphone)handheld users. 2) We love this o/s or we wouldn't be here. 3) We're PO'd w/ MS, handset mfgr's & the telcoms for the major abandonment. . The question is: besides vent, (which is helpful) what can/are we going to do about it? Here's something I'd like to see: Sure, fold WinMo into Windows Embedded, but also, end what amounts to a reverse boycott of their own customer base. There is a sizeable market out here for this o/s (along w/ all the others including WinPhone) to be run on robust, feature packed hardware. I suggest we form an advocacy group or whatever would accurately describe us. Let's some how tie such a thread in w/ the other sites out there (to numerous to mention here). Let's demonstrate that there are real & marketable needs for WinMo and it's continued development still. - Thanks for the space.
This is an good idea, but I just don't think it would really accomplish a whole lot, simply because MS is a big enough company that they can easily afford to not give a shit what their customers want. No matter how loud we yell, it will fall on deaf ears & they will do whatever THEY want. I thought about trying to organize a big petition or a protest about what they're doing to WM, but I decided to just make the switch to Android instead. If MS is gonna ignore their biggest fanbase in favor of trying to woo the drooling iPhone-loving masses, then f*ck 'em. Google & Linux will have my loyalty & accolades from now on, and I will sit back and watch MS fail horribly just like I did Palm. I'm so mad, in fact, that I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu on my laptop & doing away with MS completely. Not that it will actually hurt them in the slightest, but the feeling of "So there, take that!" will give me a small bit of Schadenfreude satisfaction.

And the dev community can only carry WM so far. I remember reading the same things all over the Treo forums when Palm announced the discontinuance of Garnet- "Don't worry, the dev community will keep Palm OS alive!"..... and they didn't. Most of the old Palm forums have been either taken down completely or were converted to all-Pre stuff. POS is all but a memory now, only used by Treo-toting businessmen here & there who have yet to cash in their upgrade and get a new phone. Sorry to be ants at a picnic, I've just got a lot of butt-hurt over this. I was really upset at losing Palm, and then as soon as I find another OS that I absolutely loved, it's getting taken away from me too. I feel like Bill Dauterive. If they descontinue Android next I'm just gonna lose it.

MS should have just stuck with the core OS and simply fixed all the stuff that's wrong with WM and brought it up to date by adding new features instead of rewriting the whole thing into an oversimplified, backpedaling, glorified Instinct OS. WP7 will be a laughable failure, mark my words.

Last edited by kabuk1; 09-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

I find it soo funny.. how people are like the your phone is old. etc. get a evo. or the hd2 is inferior.. take the hero.. granted it has no front facing cam. ( who needs it anyway) snapdragon.. ( Its nice, but again for most its overkill ) and the size,, im prolly the only one that likes the size of the hero.. etc.. but anyway this is bout wm dying.lol

wm is dying...or on its last breath.. I do love the tp2.. but went back to it for 3 weeks. and couldnt take it. had to go buy another hero.. love android too much.. so the tp2 goes back in the drawer til a fully working android build comes along...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I just hope with windows & i can turn off that stupid tiled home screen crap much like I can disable titanium in 6.5...but I dont think that will be possible. Thats always been the beauty of windows mobile is I can make the home screen interface anything I want. Now I have to stare at XBox live, fck I dont even have an xbox (i have a ps3). sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropagandaX View Post
I just hope with windows & i can turn off that stupid tiled home screen crap much like I can disable titanium in 6.5...but I dont think that will be possible. Thats always been the beauty of windows mobile is I can make the home screen interface anything I want. Now I have to stare at XBox live, fck I dont even have an xbox (i have a ps3). sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks.
Well, the GUI we love (and love to modify) is HTC's sense. HTC has said they will make a new version of sense for 7. The bad news is it's going to be "quite different" and it's not known if you can really change the look and layout of the home screen.

But here's what cheers me up - even apple, the kings trying to keep control of locked down devices... couldn't keep total control of their iphone, and now people are fooling with it in ways apple never intended (including nice visual themes). I think even if MS tries to prevent people from changing their devices, the smart programmers out there will find a way. There hasn't been a windows OS yet that can't be modified all to hell.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropagandaX View Post
So just courious, why would you buy WP7 if you don't like the way it looks, or runs?
Why not just go with a "better" device like Android?
Terry

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions