PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Re: Is winmo dying?

6.5 was a bandaid to sell more phones till they can complete 7. They did a pretty good job with 6.5 over 6.1, as it's a major upgrade in using a finger to do most stuff.

Windows Mobile is done, it is Windows Phone now. 6.5 is called a Windows Phone. Microsoft is following the trend, Apple set the way and Android confirmed it.

Everyone wants a simple but powerful phone, with a single place to get all their programs and games (aka: apps). Microsoft is just following with the good and the bad that everyone else has done and try to fix them all in one device. The problem is they are following the Apple model and stepping away from their true customers (US).

Apple has proved, there is a lot of Money to be made in a App store, Microsoft wants a piece of this, so by locking down the phone, the only place you can get your apps is from them, you are locked to them.

I don't like the fact that they are taking from the basics that we have grown to love about WM, from file storage, swapping out flash cards, file access (to change out a simple DLL in the windows folder to fix a problem), Remote desktop, manual install of apps, and much, much more.

The iPhone 4G was jailbroken in 2 weeks, how long do you think it will take for the experts on here to "Jailbreak" WP7 devices ? Then WP will be what everyone on here wants....

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: palm treo pro
Carrier: sprint

mattarmstrong is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I hope it wp7 gets tweaked or an update or microsoft sees that they have a faithful following and release a 7.1 patch that will integrate all the features we know and love and maybe a flash 10.1 patch as well. Cant a guy dream.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kinesis is a n00b

I think the major setback for all current HTC devices is that they lack a capacitive touchscreen. The conductive touch screen they use is kind of shoddy and not as responsive compared to the iPhone or Android phones.

Other than that I absolutely love them. That's the only flaw I really see - along with low battery life but that is expected and I just carry an extra battery.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I will miss it when true WM is gone, from what I have read about WP 7 is going to be a clunker, that is not acceptable, I mean these guys have been in the development business for a long time, anyway I think when it is time to get a new device I am going with one of the android phones with a sliding keyboard, now that they have Docs to go for it that was about the one thing keeping me from it.
Terry
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post
I agree. The Evo is faster and that is it. Stable? My TP2 is stable. I up'd to 2.2 on my Evo and the first alarm of the day cannot be dismissed (using the default clock) - the dismiss screen is not displayed; alarms after that can be dismissed because the dismiss screen is displayed.

Bluetooth? What a joke.

Cruising the device via Bluetooth? What a joke.

Cruising the device via sync? What a joke.

Faster? That is it. Faster.

Wait.. what???? I came from a tp2 and this is the biggest crock of bs i've seen. Shall we start with the sleep of death.. which the evo does NOT have? Or the more responsive and bigger screen? The support in both software and apps is decades better. Multitasking simplicity, gps is better and doesnt have lag like the tp2 did. And best of all there's no need to flash a rom just to get simple functionality that the tp2 lacks out of the box. I know you love your tp2 but c'mon son...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Wait.. what???? I came from a tp2 and this is the biggest crock of bs i've seen. Shall we start with the sleep of death.. which the evo does NOT have? Or the more responsive and bigger screen? The support in both software and apps is decades better. Multitasking simplicity, gps is better and doesnt have lag like the tp2 did. And best of all there's no need to flash a rom just to get simple functionality that the tp2 lacks out of the box. I know you love your tp2 but c'mon son...
my hd2 laughs at you...it's winmo, btw, with a 1ghz snapgragon, 4.3" screen...

Last edited by Dr.8820; 08-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

Fosters is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Just out of wonder, is your opinion based on anything?

Having had just about every WM Phone on Sprint, and a few Pocket PC's, I'm pretty familiar with what WM offers. I've used the crap out of WM, and I haven't yet found anything that my TP2 does that my Evo can't.

I'm always curious what these types of opinions are founded on.
Just outta curiosity, does your Evo run SQL Server Mobile? My Diamond does...

Up until a few months ago, there was no android app for a slingbox. I've had that for at least a year on winmo. I'm not looking forward to buying it again, hopefully I won't have to, but haven't looked into it yet.

Yeah, neither are widely used apps, I know. That's where the attraction to winmo is; it runs all sorts of weird/rare/old/etc apps that you just cannot find in android. That was the thing it had going for, and that's one of the major things Microsoft managed to screw up in WP7. Had they made WP7 a new kernel with all the stuff we've been used to (copy/paste, multitasking, app compatibility, etc), I'd be looking forward to it. Instead MS got lazy, and instead of addressing battery life and performance issues by tuning the kernel/drivers/etc, they opted to remove everything that might slow down the processor/use up battery/etc... It really is a step back from 6.5.

Look forward to more whining and crying from me once I get my Samsung Epic in 4 days... I've been on WinMo for ages, knew the registry inside out...
Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters View Post

Up until a few months ago, there was no android app for a slingbox. I've had that for at least a year on winmo. I'm not looking forward to buying it again, hopefully I won't have to, but haven't looked into it yet.

Yeah, neither are widely used apps, I know. That's where the attraction to winmo is; it runs all sorts of weird/rare/old/etc apps that you just cannot find in android. That was the thing it had going for, and that's one of the major things Microsoft managed to screw up in WP7. Had they made WP7 a new kernel with all the stuff we've been used to (copy/paste, multitasking, app compatibility, etc), I'd be looking forward to it. Instead MS got lazy, and instead of addressing battery life and performance issues by tuning the kernel/drivers/etc, they opted to remove everything that might slow down the processor/use up battery/etc... It really is a step back from 6.5.

Look forward to more whining and crying from me once I get my Samsung Epic in 4 days... I've been on WinMo for ages, knew the registry inside out...
You won't ever get MS SQL Mobile on Android because its linux..and MS SQL is proprietary to M$...you MAY be able to get another form of SQL ported like MySQL for example or etc..There is SQLite though...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile STICKY Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters View Post

You're better off sticking with the Diamond, LOL!

- 2 Bunny
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

This argument is why I'm glad I bought an HD2. It's the last great WM phone & it's versatile too- I currently have both WM & Android on it. WM is indeed dying, and that makes me really sad cause it's an end of a really badass era.

I do think Android is the wave of the future though, and lately I've kind of forced myself to adopt it. I've been running it as my primary OS for about a week now &I NEVER thought I'd say this, but I love it. I've tried Android in the past & absolutely HATED it, but once I found a good ROM/build combo, it's really awesome. I always figured I'd have to eventually make the move to Android cause I'm a big fan of Linux & anything open-source. I love WM with all my geeky little heart, but I really don't wanna stick with a stagnant OS.

This whole thing reminds me of the WebOS fiasco. I was SO pissed when Palm announced the Pre & how they were completely rewriting the OS, I had used Treos for years & when I found out they were discontinuing Garnet, I literally cried. That's when I switched to WinMo, and now here I am again.

Truthfully I'm really mad at Microsoft over all of this, this is 100% their fault & I'm seriously thinking of boycotting them altogether(not that it'll make a damn bit of difference to them, but it'll make me feel important, lol). If they'd have promoted WM as the versatile, fun, something-for-everyone OS that it really is, I think it'd be a lot more popular than it is. That's why the iPhone succeeded, Apple marketed it just right and even though it's a polished turd, it's the most popular device out there today. My HD2 is twice as powerful as the iPhone 4, but do you see people lining up outside the T-Mobile store overnight to buy one? Hell no, cause it's got an old fogey 'nerd' OS.

*sigh* I'll get off my soapbox now. I haz a sad. Goodbye WinMo

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions