PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Who here refuses to upgrade their phone because of Uptodate? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127961)

azrael201 07-07-2010 05:39 PM

Who here refuses to upgrade their phone because of Uptodate?

my XV6800 is dying as the hardware buttons don't work except the power button and the directional pad and the wheel (is it really hardware issue i don't know as i flashed it and it still doesn't work)...

should i upgrade my phone or look for another WM6.1/WM6.5 phone (as i see people have successfully fixed the IE6 problem)?

Right now i'm just looking on ebay for old models

maybe there's a wm6.1 emulator on android or something...

gTen 07-07-2010 06:26 PM

Re: Who here refuses to upgrade their phone because of Uptodate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrael201 (Post 1855285)
my XV6800 is dying as the hardware buttons don't work except the power button and the directional pad and the wheel (is it really hardware issue i don't know as i flashed it and it still doesn't work)...

should i upgrade my phone or look for another WM6.1/WM6.5 phone (as i see people have successfully fixed the IE6 problem)?

Emulating WM on android device wouldn't work as it is a licensing thing...right now hardware spec wise the best would be the LG Fathom but it probably will get no support from the community as WM is pretty much dead..the top phone with community is the TP2 which aside from the missing things like infrared and trackball is a decent upgrade from the 6800..but unfortunately does not use the latest 1ghz cpus...

If you want to hold out with WM and not use up your upgrade, a TP2 is fairly cheap on ebay these days

azrael201 07-07-2010 07:02 PM

ah perfect since i am an HTC fanboy

hmmm it sucks that for the cost of this phone on ebay (even used) i could buy a droid and then some...

gTen 07-07-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrael201 (Post 1855405)
ah perfect since i am an HTC fanboy

hmmm it sucks that for the cost of this phone on ebay (even used) i could buy a droid and then some...

yes..the price of the market has changed...times keep changing....give it a year or 2 an this forum may be 90% android and 10% everything else..

There will be windows embed phones coming out here and there (the branch windows mobile got merged into)..but so far seems like M$ generally abandoned the Pocket PC users...

azrael201 07-07-2010 10:18 PM

thanks for your input i think that was all i needed. i think the other option was to carry my xv6800 as my mobile uptodate in my white coat and carry my android as well...which won't be so different from everyone in med school getting forced to buy iphone/itouch and their cellphone.

DavidinCT 07-16-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrael201 (Post 1855285)

I'm in the same boat, I have a newevery2 and a $100 credit towards a phone on my account. Just waiting for a WP7 phone before signing a new 2 year contract.

I have a 6800 as well but, nothing they have really WOWs me. I really want a new phone, this QVGA limit is driving me nuts. I've already mastered this phone and need a new challange.

I was eyeing a TP1 till fall, VGA should work but, would like a TP2 but, spending $200ish on a used phone is too much in for my blood.

azrael201 07-16-2010 06:29 PM

yea but i figure when win7 does come out it won't be stable for another year so basically we'd have to suffer for at least 2 more years. well at least i'll opt for data plan now to spice things up...