PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touchpro Energy.HERMAN.24631.Sense2.5.Cookie.Sep.4
Carrier: alltel

frizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Latest Verizon Smart Phones

At&T has spotty coverage with 3G in Nebraska, 1x isn't much better when you get out of the cities. T-mobile doesn't even have a store within 100 miles of Omaha. Sprint doesn't work at either my house or work, both in the city. Verizon and Alltel are the only with decent coverage here and alltel is now gone. I am sure this varies by your location. So I am stuck with Verizon on an Alltel contract. Verizon's comparable plan is $39 more a month, nice huh?
Anyhoo, the tp2 is getting dated, which is why we are all bummin' for something new.
If you like what the Iphone is I would say get the incredible.
Not sure about VPN and the radio though. That would be a question for the device forum.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

schoust is a n00b

Well Frizz I did some real soul searching and I will say without a doubt I will miss my Wonder radio Application for WM because they do not have an App for Android. But this Incredible really is incredable as a phone goes! I will only have to get used to a OS that does not crash Lol! So in summery The touch Pro 2 is to dated and there are NO options at all on the W M Horizon this indeed is not what I had expected from the Window's Crew at all. So I feel I have no other alternative whatsoever but to move on to another OS. Now I think I have my bases covered but I am not sure? From what I have read the new Phone from Verizon is capable of everything that my TP had been able to do and much more. Now I have to get used to another OS.....
I guess I will see what happens..... Frizz do you intend to stay with MS?? You must admit that they are looking very very sad at the moment are they not.....
Old 05-14-2010, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

frizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

WM is looking very sad at this point. I don't know what I am going to do, maybe after android matures some more I will look at it again. For now my old tp is solid, I finally have it tweaked out to where I like it and it is stable, hopefully Energy's 4-24 6.5 rom won't expire on me.

I would suggest to anyone to try the Swype Sip. I haven't used my hard KB in months. I am pretty sure I saw a version for the incredible floating around somewhere if that's the direction you are going.
You know what I don't like about my TP the most. the lack of earphone volume. I tried the audiopara cabs but when i turn it up anymore the people on the other end get an annoying echo. that is one thing that became really obvious after I tried the incredible. any ideas?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

schoust is a n00b

Well I must be a bit confused? I was under the impression that the Android OS was gaining steam big time? I just read an article that said that the android was right behind the I-Phone in Apps and sales. When I think about the things I like in a phone they are stability applications galore,speed and rock solid software. I use my phone for monitoring my Building automation systems in several buildings and it is critical that I respond when asked to do the things that are required of me. My Company is under contract with the Power Utility and we are asked a couple of times a year to shed our electrical load from the grid and in return we are rewarded very handsomely for doing so. You can only imagine how PO'ed I might get if I am out and about and I am required to VPN in and shed our load in several buildings and the old Touch Pro Craps the Bed. Lets just say it would be a very expensive CRASH.This is what is attracting me to the Incredible. I will miss my Wonder Radio app. but I think the rest of the phone will be worth it!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

wow, we are more alike than you think. I work in maintenance and we have several plcs set up to communicate errors out to our phones. our work order system is also automated and integrated into the phones.
that would be sweet to be able to shed loads remotely as we currently have to do it manually. I love the sound of the generator firing up. sounds like a darn locomotive.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

schoust is a n00b

We are currently running two systems through the phone the Siemens Plant covers over 1 mil. sq. ft. and the JCI system covers another 750 thous sq. ft. Our Phones receive messages from the systems that are customizable we can basically know anything that is going on or just the emergency things.What automation are you running? It's really quite simple if your generator's and Central Plants are DDC. We simply go out and grab the OCC point's bundle them under one point and bring them back to the head end. Then it's as simple as pulling up either system and navigating to the front page and hitting a shed button. Then the system Say's go to the oc. mode and everything in the plant goes dormant all the air handling equip.stops running the load backs down to nothing whether it be in the cooling mode or the heating mode then the plant basically goes off line because there is no load. We are currently tying in all of the lighting too. I go to work with one thing in mind and that is how can I save my District money through automation and I have all kinds of things I do to slow that meter from spinning off of it's axis!! That is what I enjoy. Am I a Geek????? Maybe a techno geek....
Old 05-15-2010, 08:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

If anyone is looking towards a WM phone, I would wait.... Buy a used phone (titan, TP1) that you can get for $100-150 with out a contract so you can have 6.5 for now. Fall time is when 7 will come out.

Why ? Because WP7 apps are all new and will not run on past versions of WM, so software support for 5-6.5 might be done after a little while...

Of course if your going to get a new phone in less than a year, then no worry.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

schoust is a n00b

I will not be buying a WM phone because I jumping ship to Android. The experience that I have had with WM has not been good,it can only be described as a nightmare for me. The sad thing about is if the software or the device did not crash all the time then maybe I would have enjoyed the phone. But it did not so it's off to Android I go!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

Umpiire is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoust View Post
I will not be buying a WM phone because I jumping ship to Android. The experience that I have had with WM has not been good,it can only be described as a nightmare for me. The sad thing about is if the software or the device did not crash all the time then maybe I would have enjoyed the phone. But it did not so it's off to Android I go!
The Droid is fast and interesting but if you use Exchange and keep multiple folders in your inbox you won't like it. It syncs with Exchange just fine but doesn't handle nested folders. This was a deal breaker for me.

I tried the TP2 but wasn't impressed with the keyboard. A few months ago when I finally got rid of my Palm 700w TP2 was also still on WM 6.1. I opted for the Imagio (Whitestone). It would be nice to have a faster processor and more built-in memory but it is working well. Now that there is a HardSPL I've updated the ROM also. Huge improvement from my Palm (big surprise I know).
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoust View Post
NO options at all on the W M Horizon this indeed is not what I had expected from the Window's Crew at all
there actually is a Windows 6.5 phone on the horizon, the LG Fathom is supposed to launch on VZW by the end of the month
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/LG-F...ne-p_4369.html
looks like a decent device if you want new for the sake of new, otherwise TP2 for Windows

and what exactly did you expect for the "Windows Crew" what exactly is the incentive to manufacture a phone thats using an operating system that has an expiration date and a lack of developers because those that were, abandoned it, unfortunate, but can't exactly blame them
if you want the most performance possible it has to be the Incredible, between the processor and as light weight as the operating system is, it will fly, i haven't seen the Incredible itself but I have played with the Evo and its fast

and as for your initial question about Windows Phone 7, the earliest we know of will be September
probably going to be this thing: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...92#post1762792

Last edited by jbearamus; 05-19-2010 at 08:38 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions