PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

Skywarp is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is windows mobile garbage?

Excuse the inflammatory subject title.
But I need to vent

Ive been using windows mobile 6.1 for a little less than a year, initially on the touch pro and now the touch pro 2. Prior to that I was using Palm for ever.

Simple functions I took for granted on my Palm device I cant seem to work on Windows mobile.

I CANT consistantly sync my data with outlook. On both devices, mobile center in Vista just stops working, it doesnt matter how many times I reinstall mobile center, unclick for faster connection, it just doesnt work.

I CANT consistantly use reminders from my calender. Sometimes the reminder alarm just ceases to work. I can fix it temporarily, but then it will just stop working again.

Future calender reminders just vanish!

I havent flashed my device with any custom roms, dont have too many apps.

Am I doing something wrong or is windows mobile simply garbage?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Is windows mobile garbage?

1. your problem is vista because I never have issues with windows 7 or xp.
2. I also have my reminders work on my calendar. Maybe you are running a custom rom that has issues.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc mogul
Carrier: boost

georgepa is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywarp View Post
Excuse the inflammatory subject title.
But I need to vent

Ive been using windows mobile 6.1 for a little less than a year, initially on the touch pro and now the touch pro 2. Prior to that I was using Palm for ever.

Simple functions I took for granted on my Palm device I cant seem to work on Windows mobile.

I CANT consistantly sync my data with outlook. On both devices, mobile center in Vista just stops working, it doesnt matter how many times I reinstall mobile center, unclick for faster connection, it just doesnt work.

I CANT consistantly use reminders from my calender. Sometimes the reminder alarm just ceases to work. I can fix it temporarily, but then it will just stop working again.

Future calender reminders just vanish!

I havent flashed my device with any custom roms, dont have too many apps.

Am I doing something wrong or is windows mobile simply garbage?

I have an HTC Diamond and a Palm Treo 700wx working with Windows Mobile, and Outlook syncing works well on both, consistently, without problem. Calendars and appointment alarms also work well.

Try upgrading to a cooked ROM, and you will likely see your issues disappear. In short, whatever you are experiencing has nothing whatsoever to do with "Windows Mobile" as an operating system, as the items mentioned work for most everybody else.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I am running the stock Sprint 6.1 ROM and do not experience the problems you describe. I also was a long-term Palm user. Have you executed a hard reset and run the device for a few days to determine if the problem occurs with nothing installed on the device?

There are 3rd party applications that do not work properly and that do interfere with the proper operation of the device. About 3 months ago I installed a "simple" freeware timing program and suffered with missed alarms all over the place. Deleted the application, executed a soft reset and not a problem since.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

NO problem here with both of these.....Windows 7 and sync with this PC and a Exchange 2003 serer....everything works great..

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 02-26-2010, 02:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Skywarp is a n00b

I would like to believe that. But there are countless posts about these exact problems.

Are cooked Roms, more reliable that out of the box windows 6.1?
Ive been a little hesitant with all the problems I already have
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Skywarp is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepa View Post
I have an HTC Diamond and a Palm Treo 700wx working with Windows Mobile, and Outlook syncing works well on both, consistently, without problem. Calendars and appointment alarms also work well.

Try upgrading to a cooked ROM, and you will likely see your issues disappear. In short, whatever you are experiencing has nothing whatsoever to do with "Windows Mobile" as an operating system, as the items mentioned work for most everybody else.
I would like to believe that. But there are countless posts about these exact problems.

Are cooked Roms, more reliable that out of the box windows 6.1?
Ive been a little hesitant with all the problems I already have
Old 02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywarp View Post
Are cooked Roms, more reliable that out of the box windows 6.1? Ive been a little hesitant with all the problems I already have
Absolutely! once you upgrade to a WM 6.5 ROM, you'll instantly be able to tell the difference. Will it solve all of your problems? I don't know. I never really used the sync with outlook feature, or had any problems with my appointments.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've never had a problem with my calendars syncing, data erasing or anything you mention either. I've used WM 5 years now. I just started flashing ROMs actually and always ran Stock ROM. That may be what you want to consider if you can't find the right stable ROM, but I know there are several out there. Just keep reading.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gregjuice is a n00b

i think it is total garbage. why should we have to void our warranty and waste our time flashing all sorts of ROMS, just to have a phone that on rare occasions will actually function correctly. It took the iPhone for Microsoft to even give a crap less about us PPC users, and now they are behind the times. As for 7, i guess we will see, but for now, i am abandoning WM completely. I cannot wait for my blackberry to come it the mail, so i can take a baseball bat to this POS!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions