PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
shertech

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Trouble opening office docs on Mobile office.

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I can't seem to find help on the web or in here.

OK, My problem is this. I just got my new (to me) Sprint mogul. I am trying to install some readers for books. and a spread sheet from Office 2003. I saved the files then did a sync. Open explorer on phone tap the file and get the error. Open the application then access the file. I try this and cannot find a way to open a file once in excel.

Phone is PPC6800
Rom 3.56.651.0
Radio 3.42.02
MS office Mobile Version 6.1
Desktop Office 2003 SP3

Thanks for your help
Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vogues & an S4 Mini
Carrier: Sprint

MrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trouble opening office docs on Mobile office.

A little over 2 years ago I had the same type issues with Excel 2003 on PC and Mobile Excel on PPC. First of all, PC spreadsheets are saved by default as .xls file type, but on PPC they're .xlsx instead. From microsoft.com, I downloaded a PC converter app to change from either to the other. I believe it was a patch you plug into AS. But never installed it, because by trial & error I discovered a way that worked for me. I'm thinking it could work for you. Your PPC, being Mogul, may still have the older default .pxl extension for spreadsheets? If so, maybe all you have to do is have AS convert between .xls and .pxl when syncing. In any case, here's what worked for me:

(1) Create an Excel Workbook on which ever (PC or PPC) has the older version of Excel, as it's more likely for the other device to have grandfathered the old type in.

(2) Save the newly created spreadsheet to memory card. If PC is older, use USB to store SS on card, so it's not converted by ActiveSync. Alternatively, you can try adjusting AS file conversion properties - good luck with that!

(3) Move memory card to other device, drag and drop new SS to where you like or leave on card, and open in Excel. The older SS should open nicely in the newer version of Excel, though it may require letting some formating be dropped, etc.

This worked for me, as I then had a file that opens in either PC or PPC. From there on, ActiveSync has done the job without having to physically swap card. However, I have never used the full Sync procedure. Instead, I prefer to drag and drop because I don't sync Outlook type items.

Hope this helps move you toward resolution, MrG
Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trouble opening office docs on Mobile office.

I also use Documents to Go which saves in the XLS format. What I do: open a new file in it and save it, then edit it with Excel. DTG's spread sheet application has issues when it comes to display control. If I create it with Excel, I use Microsoft Works on my laptop to copy it to Open Office. Not perfect, but it works.

A search does not indicate a solution is available directly for the device itself.

Last edited by BenC; 01-19-2010 at 01:43 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Tags
excell mobile, office mobile, trouble opening