PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why Arent There Loads Of Free Apps Like Android & iPhone App Stores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
come on, there isn't a single app for the iphone or the droid that u can't find for windows mobile. However there are windows mobile programs that u can't find on iphone or droid. I can run the droid os on my windows mobile phone and make it look and behave just like n iphone.

Can u say that about the droid or iphone?

Windows mobile is also the only os that can use skyfire n they are the only ones so far that have figured out how to fully view a www with flash.

What was that about free apps on the iphone n droid?

Now dont get me wrong, I HATE microsoft and im a die hard Palm OS fan. But i changed to windows mobile because of the apps available to windows mobile. N think about it the iphone and droid are babies compared to windows mobile and plam. There are so many different companies and individuals making apps for windows mobile that its not possible to list all of them in one location.
+1
I just love posts like this the apps don't compare to iphone
save from a few games (which gaming is an iffy subject because its g sen or on screen based) the games are NOT end all be all. While I did love the game zenonia all of the "top games" on the iphone were ridiculously annoying and a bit of a waste of x amount of dollars.

That being said, as far as productivity is concerned, windows has it beat because of time. Windows has been here for more than a decade and it shows in the hacking and modifying. Sure there are a handful of applications in marketplace, but this is also because marketplace is

TWO MONTHS OLD!

There is a pervasive negative bias against anything windows to include windows mobile and many people parakeet and repeat things they have heard on a blog and yet have never truly used a windows device in their life.

Finally, its of course advertising and incentive. Windows doesn't have it and it should. Nuff said. So there is a lot of good reasons why there aren't as many apps but that's evolving like windows always evolves. I've had more builds of wm oses in this year than in 3 years of owning smart phones (and that includes blackberry, iphone - see iphone boredom thread, and android os)

Long story short, most application (90%) are made on either ppcgeeks or xda developers (more being the latter). So use a google =)
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond,Maple,Herman,Vogue,Kaiser,Apache & Typhoon
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

harlot011104 is just getting started

What deadwrong is saying is so true. Balmer and the crew over in Redmond need to pull a few heads out of some tight sphincters if they are ever going to have a loyal customer base. Apple and google have something called a marketing department that actually learns things from consumers and dynamically and proactively changes strategy to give the customer what they want. After watching Steve Balmers reactions to the Iphone and browsing throught the marketplace, I realize that Microsoft just doesn't give a crap about consumers.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

mishajmo is becoming a great contributor

I've never understood the app thing. If I want to find the nearest Starbucks, I don't need an app for that. And if I want to play that little game where you move a ball bearing around a maze, I won't spend 300 dollars to do so.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Ok so find me a google goggle app for winmo that actually works.. and dont even bother mentioning that half azz barcode reader because i've already had that. What about the Viper car alarm for the iphone? Look we all have winmo here but lets just keep it real and admit the obvious. There are a ton of OLD apps that serve no real purpose... but most all of the new apps that are coming out go to the iphone or android FIRST... IF it even comes to winmo at all. The same way we have to sit around and find ways to port apps like Pandora to winmo and tweak the hell out of it just to get it to work for us.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

To be fair, if we're talking about just number of apps, quality of said apps aside, the MS marketplace is not on pace to keep up with Android or Apples stores. Android had 20,000 after a year, Apple 50,000.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: verizon

stuart628 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
come on, there isn't a single app for the iphone or the droid that u can't find for windows mobile. However there are windows mobile programs that u can't find on iphone or droid. I can run the droid os on my windows mobile phone and make it look and behave just like n iphone.

Can u say that about the droid or iphone?

Windows mobile is also the only os that can use skyfire n they are the only ones so far that have figured out how to fully view a www with flash.

What was that about free apps on the iphone n droid?

Now dont get me wrong, I HATE microsoft and im a die hard Palm OS fan. But i changed to windows mobile because of the apps available to windows mobile. N think about it the iphone and droid are babies compared to windows mobile and plam. There are so many different companies and individuals making apps for windows mobile that its not possible to list all of them in one location.
not to put you down bro, but this isnt true at all

two that come to mind #1. Shop Savvy, I WANT THIS APP, I had it on my droid and it was Sweet!
#2. I am T-Pain
Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower

Ok its time to end the ridiculous , because thats what this is. All I see is bashing with sprinkles of information. Now lets get down to answering the question at hand. What iam about to state are facts not opinions.
1)Windows mobile is a buisness centered phone , which means there is any and every app avalible for workforce type problems.
2)Windows Mobile Market place does not represent windows mobile entirely. The Windows Mobile market place represents microsoft buisness corp. who made the windows mobile phone and brand.
The windows mobile market place does not help developers , it makes it extremely tough to sell anything.
3)The Iphone and Android marketplace was made when those pocket pc were release or just a little later. They represent thier brand entirely and offer support for developers.
4)If you need anything for windows mobile just come here or xda-developers and ask for it. I speak for everyone here , we all help each other here. Sometimes we agree or disagree , but in the end we all help. Opening a thread asking were the free games and apps , no one will know what your looking for. If you want a head start on from windows mobile games and apps here are some links you should click on
www.pocketpcfreeware.net

www.krenisiswinmobilegamesapps.com

www.HTCfreeware.com

Check them out and tell me what you have found. Sorry if i sound harsh I didnt mean too.peace
Old 12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

imtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Windows market place is a freakin ripoff....7 dollars for a 2d version of a board game....6 dollars for galaga a game that is over 30 years old....im honestly thinking of jumping ship to android for its app store and better support....

Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
Windows market place is a freakin ripoff....7 dollars for a 2d version of a board game....6 dollars for galaga a game that is over 30 years old....im honestly thinking of jumping ship to android for its app store and better support....
microsoft doesn't control those prices. the developer does. use google, i'm sure you'll find those or similar apps for free
Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

lol i find it funny people complain bout a 7 dollar 2d version of a board game..when like strra said google is your friend.

one thing though.. if wm market place does even have a remote chance of being mainstream like apple and android.. then its gonna have to follow suit..just because us fellow geeks know where to find free apps or hack etc.. the average user isnt gonna know that nor want to spend the time looking and learning the ins and outs of wm..

I just got my wife her first smartphone. a tp2.. she is in awe atm over it.. i told her all the things she could do with it vs the iphone.. etc.. but im gonna have to walk her through alot of things. cause she dont have the time nor the will to figure out how to do a reg edit or install a new theme.etc let alone go searching for free apps.. thats where apple and google have it right in the app store etc.. easy in easy out..

If my wife bought the tp2 without me around she would be totally lost for awhile and prolly give up in frustration..

to me wm in general is the thinking man os..cause of great sites like pccgeeks and xda your only bound by your imagination...

iphone you get what they give ya.
android dont have enough exp in that to make a good judgment but they do have alot of apps and something like 70% or so are free..so thats a positive..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions