PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/general-iphone-discussions/)
-   -   Why does everyone hate the iphone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/general-iphone-discussions/76395-why-does-everyone-hate-iphone.html)

drift365 07-26-2009 03:28 PM

Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Im wondering why everyone continues to bash the iphone? Many of the things that i have heard certainly are not true. With this thread i would like to clear up some of the details. It can multitask in SOME situations. I believe that there is something that can be done after jailbreaking to make it do more, bt i have not jailbroken yet, as i am waiting for some of the features in 3.1. It does not have flash support in safari, something im hoping will be fixed soon. But other than that, what is wrong with the iphone?

Genjinaro 07-26-2009 05:43 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1060928)
I believe that there is something that can be done after jailbreaking to make it do more, bt i have not jailbroken yet, as i am waiting for some of the features in 3.1. It does not have flash support in safari, something im hoping will be fixed soon. But other than that, what is wrong with the iphone?

For me its not the iPhone so much, I dislike (hate) Apple's governing (limiting) hand on the iPhone and the length of time it takes for them to offer basic features.

If Apple took a more (lets say) "Android" approach to things and a warmer treatment of the hacker/development community and 3rd parties, I'd certainly buy one. They also need to make some appeal in terms of hardware, tasking and UI options, I like to personalize/differentiate.

Also I'd never choose AT&T or any other over Sprint... Ever. Especially for a data driven (3G powered) phone.

The iPhone can potentially win anyone over, the only thing stopping them from appealing to me is overkill carrier exclusivity, themselves, & a limit to one form factor.

All IMHO...

drift365 07-26-2009 06:02 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Im sorry but im looking for something a bit more descriptive than "IT sucks". I totally agree with the ATT thing. Supposedly there will be one for verizon sometime in january, but im not sure how true that is. I have heard of a way to convince verizon to give you a special sim card that will allow it to work on their towers with their service. Im not sure if this will work with sprint or not. There are many apps that have been made by 3rd parties. Some of them are in the app store, and some are not. If you jailbreak the phone, there is a certain amount of customization that you can do. How much im not certain, hopefully someone that does know will look at this thread and tell us. Jailbreaking can also add some features, like teathering, and mms, even to the 3g. There are ways to get them without jailbreaking, but they are somewhat complicated. Supposedly they will be available in 3.1 but that would also take att allowing it. Hope I helped.

Cheers,

Matt

drift365 07-26-2009 06:06 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
And yes, an iphone IS a ppc. With my windows mobile phone i relied on my laptop to get things done. With my iphone, my laptop going in to be serviced again isnt a problem.

Cheers,

Matt

southphillysean 07-26-2009 06:08 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Its not a PPC my friend......Don't know what else to say. my last post here.

facemob 07-26-2009 06:30 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genjinaro (Post 1061125)
For me its not the iPhone so much, I dislike (hate) Apple's governing (limiting) hand on the iPhone and the length of time it takes for them to offer basic features.

If Apple took a more (lets say) "Android" approach to things and a warmer treatment of the hacker/development community and 3rd parties, I'd certainly buy one. They also need to make some appeal in terms of hardware, tasking and UI options, I like to personalize/differentiate.

Also I'd never choose AT&T or any other over Sprint... Ever. Especially for a data driven (3G powered) phone.

The iPhone can potentially win anyone over, the only thing stopping them from appealing to me is overkill carrier exclusivity, themselves, & a limit to one form factor.

All IMHO...

agreed

Carla 07-26-2009 06:43 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1060928)
It can multitask in SOME situations

Some situations isn't anywhere near all situations. I think it's all in personal taste, most people around here are here because we love and enjoy WM, if we wanted iPhones it could have easily been done with what a lot of our phones cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genjinaro (Post 1061125)
The iPhone can potentially win anyone over, the only thing stopping them from appealing to me is overkill carrier exclusivity, themselves, & a limit to one form factor.

All IMHO...

Can't win everyone over :p Never gonna happen here. And I know I'm not the only one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1061148)
Jailbreaking can also add some features, like teathering, and mms, even to the 3g. There are ways to get them without jailbreaking, but they are somewhat complicated. Supposedly they will be available in 3.1 but that would also take att allowing it. Hope I helped.

Cheers,

Matt

I thought AT&T wasn't ready to support MMS and Tethering yet. I know they said MMS is late summer, but tethering didn't have a date. Has something changed? That is an honest question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1061155)
And yes, an iphone IS a ppc. With my windows mobile phone i relied on my laptop to get things done. With my iphone, my laptop going in to be serviced again isnt a problem.

What do you mean you relied on your laptop then and not now? You weren't able to take advantage of the WM phone without a laptop? I am pretty sure to put your music and all that other crap on your phone, such as large Apps that you can't just straight download to the phone from the app store, you need your computer.

drift365 07-26-2009 06:57 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
In the beta version of 3.1 teathering and mms have been enabled on the phone, which they previously werent. Yes, it will take att to finalize it, but i have a feeling that their release might be around the same time as 3.1. I did have teathering and mms on mine for a short period of time, but i found out that if att realized that I did, i could lose my contract. If you jailbreak it, it will make it much more difficult for att to find out.

When I had my WM phone, email and internet were horrible. The phone was slow, and it was difficult to find information quickly. With the iphone these things are much simpler and faster. Sometimes it was also difficult to find a free program to do what i needed to do, although this is a while ago, and many things have changed. The iphone is just easier to use. It just fits me better.

I also only had a 2gb microsd card, and wmp or kinoma, which made music very difficult.

drift365 07-26-2009 06:59 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
Sorry missed the part about multitasking. If you jailbreak, you can install an app that will let you multitask.

Cheers,

Matt

Carla 07-26-2009 07:14 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?
 
My email works just fine, and my internet is excellent. What service did you use (phone provider I mean)? I use Opera and have no problem surfing and finding what I need right away. This all seems like personal opinions on every subject. Some of us like it and some don't.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0