PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73443)

questionmark425 07-01-2009 08:11 PM

Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!?

1932 Kbps 0.225s (1024k)

myvzw.com

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch : That's a very speedy speed test coming from an Iphone 3G using safari on www.dslreports.com/mspeed running through Verizon wireless DNS servers. There are several others on that website from today.

How did someone manage to get a phone that is only in production for GSM carriers on to a CDMA network? Or did they start producing CDMA iPhones without getting any kind of press coverage?

- I'm pretty confused right now. I'm fairly confident that there is some kind of logical explaination to this.

Perhaps someone is using an iPhone emulator from the SDK on a MacBook with a Verizon Wireless broadband adapter? Anybody have any insight?

ruskiyab 07-02-2009 12:48 PM

Re: Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!?

Ummmm... wifi?

racedog 07-02-2009 04:51 PM

[quote=questionmark425;1009286]1932 Kbps 0.225s (1024k)

How did someone manage to get a phone that is only in production for GSM carriers on to a CDMA network? Or did they start producing CDMA iPhones without getting any kind of press coverage?

quote]

I believe that VZW still has some gsm towers out there and I know that AT&T does still partner with VZW in some areas. That might explain those reports. YMMV

R

Certs 07-03-2009 11:09 PM

I would guess wmwifirouter through a vzw wm phone?

syanni85 07-07-2009 06:41 PM

could definitely be a mifi router from verizon.

questionmark425 07-07-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskiyab (Post 1010544)
Ummmm... wifi?

I don't think that just saying "wifi" would explain why it is resolving through Verizon Wireless DNS servers. Even if it was a mobile broadband card FROM Verizon on wifi, it would still resolve through whatever DNS servers the wifi router was on, seeing as how it would have to be assigned an IP address through DHCP on the router.

Mifi could definitely be a reason that I had overlooked, because anything with a wireless NIC could connect to a Mifi router running on any network.

I would have originally thought that it could be just a Verizon DSL line through a wireless router, but the DNS server was "myvzw.com" which is specific to Verizon Wireless services.

Another thing is, If someone already had a service contract through AT&T (most likely the case with an iPhone 3G, seeing as how it was released < 2 years ago) Why would they also have a separate contract with Verizon for a mobile broadband card / mifi router.

I first started this thread because of a sudden spike in Iphone on myvzw.com DNS servers through the speed test site. there were over 20 of them in one day, where on the previous day, there were none. As well as speed was between 50 kb/s and 3000 kb/s, which could technically be generated by one device on mifi (difference in distance from the router etc...) but is not likely.

Also, having used wmwifirouter in the past on many WinMo devices, I think speeds of over 2Mb/s are a bit unrealistic to go to a vzw phone, be redirected out using a very weak wireless signal, and then picked up again by the iPhone's WiFi.

Just thought it would be some food for thought. :mrgreen:

celsius0010 07-11-2009 06:54 AM

People use "CDMA wifi" on Iphones and Ipod touches quite often.. You can make your own 3G when AT&T leaves you hangin.. And I have tethered 2.5Mb/s on Sprint Rev A before

LittleBreezes 07-11-2009 04:43 PM

Interesting fact came out of a conversation with a Verizon rep the other day. If you have an unlocked GSM device you can ask VZ to take its ESN and issue you a Verizon GSM SIM card that is locked to the ESN of that device. In fact, the BB Bold and the new Tour on VZ come from the factory that way. They are really GSM phones that VZ installed VZ SIM cards that are locked to each ESN. Both the devices and SIM cards are locked so what you cannot do is take a TMobile or AT&T SIM and put it into a VZ BB Tour. Conversely, you cannot take a VZ SIM card and put it inot any unlocked GSM device, it has to be locked to the the ESN of that device. Evidentally, VZ still operates enough GSM towers (and leases time on others) that this works for them. This is an interesting alternative for folks that need to usea GSM device (like an unlocked IPhone from New Zealand) on Verizon's network. If you are a pre existing VZ customer call them up and tell them that your employer is now going to make you use their GSM device but you want to keep VZ's network. THey will ask you for the ESN of the GSM device and if they can get a SIM card locked to it they will put it on their network. Pretty interesting, I was not aware of this until the other day.
Frankie

thvoicwethin 07-21-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBreezes (Post 1029703)
Interesting fact came out of a conversation with a Verizon rep the other day. If you have an unlocked GSM device you can ask VZ to take its ESN and issue you a Verizon GSM SIM card that is locked to the ESN of that device. In fact, the BB Bold and the new Tour on VZ come from the factory that way. They are really GSM phones that VZ installed VZ SIM cards that are locked to each ESN. Both the devices and SIM cards are locked so what you cannot do is take a TMobile or AT&T SIM and put it into a VZ BB Tour. Conversely, you cannot take a VZ SIM card and put it inot any unlocked GSM device, it has to be locked to the the ESN of that device. Evidentally, VZ still operates enough GSM towers (and leases time on others) that this works for them. This is an interesting alternative for folks that need to usea GSM device (like an unlocked IPhone from New Zealand) on Verizon's network. If you are a pre existing VZ customer call them up and tell them that your employer is now going to make you use their GSM device but you want to keep VZ's network. THey will ask you for the ESN of the GSM device and if they can get a SIM card locked to it they will put it on their network. Pretty interesting, I was not aware of this until the other day.
Frankie

wow, thats some great information, im sure alot of people don't know that. Hell, I just read that and was automatically shocked.

Soo, if i purchase iPhone 3g, and call VZW , ***** to them for 4 hours about why i need my GSM phone on their network, they rush me a locked ESN SIM, and I'm good to go?
hmm...interesting. I would be a guinea pig of this if i had an iphone 3g.

Quote:

Originally Posted by celsius0010 (Post 1028964)
People use "CDMA wifi" on Iphones and Ipod touches quite often.. You can make your own 3G when AT&T leaves you hangin.. And I have tethered 2.5Mb/s on Sprint Rev A before

Explain please, I'll do a search on this, but i has an ipod touch that i would love to have coverage everywhere.

Noir 07-21-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thvoicwethin (Post 1049526)
wow, thats some great information, im sure alot of people don't know that. Hell, I just read that and was automatically shocked.

Soo, if i purchase iPhone 3g, and call VZW , ***** to them for 4 hours about why i need my GSM phone on their network, they rush me a locked ESN SIM, and I'm good to go?
hmm...interesting. I would be a guinea pig of this if i had an iphone 3g.

Explain please, I'll do a search on this, but i has an ipod touch that i would love to have coverage everywhere.

I would love to see someone try this actually...
I have some heavy doubts on that and furthermore, this is the same vzw tech support that also said open handset, stores will flash the phone from other cdma companies (cough sprint) when in fact they won't. I want to see proof or that rep is talking out of their proverbial butt hole

eehrhard 07-30-2009 12:50 PM

I find it hard to belive that Verizon has 3G infrastructure built out for GSM be it HSPA or even EDGE.

syanni85 08-02-2009 12:02 PM

verizon does have a gsm network from the past and i tried to get them to lock a sim to an iphone, but they said that phone is not on their "approved gsm phone list"... and they would not tell me what is on that list.

I work for vzw, but not on employee pricing yet, so i told them something completely different. Maybe the xperia x1 is on their approval list and i can just give them the esn of the iphone telling them its from the x1...

I will try that today, and we will go from there.

but all-in-all the rep told me that they do activate gsm phones for their network, they just need to be approved.

@ LittleBreezes: The BB Tour does not work on the GSM network. The sim is there incase you travel globally, then it will work on GSM over seas. It is still a CDMA device in the States. But if you unlock the Tour, it can be used on T-Mobile or AT&T here in the US.

Adrianh85 09-15-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eehrhard (Post 1070415)
I find it hard to belive that Verizon has 3G infrastructure built out for GSM be it HSPA or even EDGE.

this will all change when lte lunches!!! is there anyone here that lives in las vegas? lte is being tested there and lte is said to be backwards comatible with gsm!!! At&t + verizon joint venture!!!:headbang:

dancomer 10-18-2009 04:03 PM

i want A DAMN IPHONE on verizon

BBHOLIDAY 11-06-2009 12:01 PM

I've seen articles about the Iphone possibly soon being released to other carriers besides AT&T. It could just be someone testing before the release. Your best bet is to ask the person who says they have it.

Genjinaro 11-06-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syanni85 (Post 1020638)
could definitely be a mifi router from verizon.

Ditto

I borrow my cousins iPod Touch & use it with a Sprint MiFi router.

CyberMonkey 12-07-2009 12:27 PM

I head through the grape vines that Apple wants to put the iPhones out to the other carriers, but AT&T is trying to extend their exclusiveness for another few years.

outlaw.99 01-19-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancomer (Post 1244412)
i want A DAMN IPHONE on verizon

/agreed

My iTouch is probably the only Apple device I have ever liked....But I like it a lot, and if it can become my phone and still sync with Outlook, then sign me up for 3 years if you have to Verizon...

JQuill 01-20-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBreezes (Post 1029703)
Frankie

My friend did this with his iPhone. What you have to do is unlock the iPhone (obviously) and hack the Verizon sim card that comes with the BBtour and just retain the PRL information for the Blackberry on the sim-card while wiping any link to the original ESN...this is how Verizon thinks the phone is a Blackberry. But you also have to block the iPhone from sending its information out to the sim card and then to the Verizon towers. Before you ask this is VERY, VERY, VERY hard to do, and as far as I know less than five people have ever gotten it to work. If you're not a computer science major or don't know how to hack a sim card then please don't ask me how to do this, because I don't know. But it is possible, and that's what you have to do. Verizon uses GSM for SOME voice, you get lots of dropped calls but data works great. This is what would account for the crazy data speeds, but like I said voice sucks, it's really not worth the effort.

If you want more information...become a member at Demonoid.com