PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch pro
Carrier: Cricket

questionmark425 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!?

1932 Kbps 0.225s (1024k)

myvzw.com

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16:scratch : That's a very speedy speed test coming from an Iphone 3G using safari on www.dslreports.com/mspeed running through Verizon wireless DNS servers. There are several others on that website from today.

How did someone manage to get a phone that is only in production for GSM carriers on to a CDMA network? Or did they start producing CDMA iPhones without getting any kind of press coverage?

- I'm pretty confused right now. I'm fairly confident that there is some kind of logical explaination to this.

Perhaps someone is using an iPhone emulator from the SDK on a MacBook with a Verizon Wireless broadband adapter? Anybody have any insight?

Last edited by questionmark425; 07-01-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Very Important Person
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!?

Ummmm... wifi?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

[quote=questionmark425;1009286]1932 Kbps 0.225s (1024k)

How did someone manage to get a phone that is only in production for GSM carriers on to a CDMA network? Or did they start producing CDMA iPhones without getting any kind of press coverage?

quote]

I believe that VZW still has some gsm towers out there and I know that AT&T does still partner with VZW in some areas. That might explain those reports. YMMV

R
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would guess wmwifirouter through a vzw wm phone?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

could definitely be a mifi router from verizon.

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch pro
Carrier: Cricket
Threadstarter

questionmark425 is a n00b
Talking Re: Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskiyab View Post
Ummmm... wifi?
I don't think that just saying "wifi" would explain why it is resolving through Verizon Wireless DNS servers. Even if it was a mobile broadband card FROM Verizon on wifi, it would still resolve through whatever DNS servers the wifi router was on, seeing as how it would have to be assigned an IP address through DHCP on the router.

Mifi could definitely be a reason that I had overlooked, because anything with a wireless NIC could connect to a Mifi router running on any network.

I would have originally thought that it could be just a Verizon DSL line through a wireless router, but the DNS server was "myvzw.com" which is specific to Verizon Wireless services.

Another thing is, If someone already had a service contract through AT&T (most likely the case with an iPhone 3G, seeing as how it was released < 2 years ago) Why would they also have a separate contract with Verizon for a mobile broadband card / mifi router.

I first started this thread because of a sudden spike in Iphone on myvzw.com DNS servers through the speed test site. there were over 20 of them in one day, where on the previous day, there were none. As well as speed was between 50 kb/s and 3000 kb/s, which could technically be generated by one device on mifi (difference in distance from the router etc...) but is not likely.

Also, having used wmwifirouter in the past on many WinMo devices, I think speeds of over 2Mb/s are a bit unrealistic to go to a vzw phone, be redirected out using a very weak wireless signal, and then picked up again by the iPhone's WiFi.

Just thought it would be some food for thought.

Last edited by questionmark425; 07-07-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero w/ Custom ROM

celsius0010 is keeping up the good workcelsius0010 is keeping up the good work

People use "CDMA wifi" on Iphones and Ipod touches quite often.. You can make your own 3G when AT&T leaves you hangin.. And I have tethered 2.5Mb/s on Sprint Rev A before
Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: T-Mobile

LittleBreezes is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to LittleBreezes

Interesting fact came out of a conversation with a Verizon rep the other day. If you have an unlocked GSM device you can ask VZ to take its ESN and issue you a Verizon GSM SIM card that is locked to the ESN of that device. In fact, the BB Bold and the new Tour on VZ come from the factory that way. They are really GSM phones that VZ installed VZ SIM cards that are locked to each ESN. Both the devices and SIM cards are locked so what you cannot do is take a TMobile or AT&T SIM and put it into a VZ BB Tour. Conversely, you cannot take a VZ SIM card and put it inot any unlocked GSM device, it has to be locked to the the ESN of that device. Evidentally, VZ still operates enough GSM towers (and leases time on others) that this works for them. This is an interesting alternative for folks that need to usea GSM device (like an unlocked IPhone from New Zealand) on Verizon's network. If you are a pre existing VZ customer call them up and tell them that your employer is now going to make you use their GSM device but you want to keep VZ's network. THey will ask you for the ESN of the GSM device and if they can get a SIM card locked to it they will put it on their network. Pretty interesting, I was not aware of this until the other day.
Frankie
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: LG enV Touch

thvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to thvoicwethin Send a message via Skype™ to thvoicwethin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBreezes View Post
Interesting fact came out of a conversation with a Verizon rep the other day. If you have an unlocked GSM device you can ask VZ to take its ESN and issue you a Verizon GSM SIM card that is locked to the ESN of that device. In fact, the BB Bold and the new Tour on VZ come from the factory that way. They are really GSM phones that VZ installed VZ SIM cards that are locked to each ESN. Both the devices and SIM cards are locked so what you cannot do is take a TMobile or AT&T SIM and put it into a VZ BB Tour. Conversely, you cannot take a VZ SIM card and put it inot any unlocked GSM device, it has to be locked to the the ESN of that device. Evidentally, VZ still operates enough GSM towers (and leases time on others) that this works for them. This is an interesting alternative for folks that need to usea GSM device (like an unlocked IPhone from New Zealand) on Verizon's network. If you are a pre existing VZ customer call them up and tell them that your employer is now going to make you use their GSM device but you want to keep VZ's network. THey will ask you for the ESN of the GSM device and if they can get a SIM card locked to it they will put it on their network. Pretty interesting, I was not aware of this until the other day.
Frankie
wow, thats some great information, im sure alot of people don't know that. Hell, I just read that and was automatically shocked.

Soo, if i purchase iPhone 3g, and call VZW , ***** to them for 4 hours about why i need my GSM phone on their network, they rush me a locked ESN SIM, and I'm good to go?
hmm...interesting. I would be a guinea pig of this if i had an iphone 3g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsius0010 View Post
People use "CDMA wifi" on Iphones and Ipod touches quite often.. You can make your own 3G when AT&T leaves you hangin.. And I have tethered 2.5Mb/s on Sprint Rev A before
Explain please, I'll do a search on this, but i has an ipod touch that i would love to have coverage everywhere.

Commander of the Non-Data Users Team.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thvoicwethin View Post
wow, thats some great information, im sure alot of people don't know that. Hell, I just read that and was automatically shocked.

Soo, if i purchase iPhone 3g, and call VZW , ***** to them for 4 hours about why i need my GSM phone on their network, they rush me a locked ESN SIM, and I'm good to go?
hmm...interesting. I would be a guinea pig of this if i had an iphone 3g.

Explain please, I'll do a search on this, but i has an ipod touch that i would love to have coverage everywhere.
I would love to see someone try this actually...
I have some heavy doubts on that and furthermore, this is the same vzw tech support that also said open handset, stores will flash the phone from other cdma companies (cough sprint) when in fact they won't. I want to see proof or that rep is talking out of their proverbial butt hole
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions