PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

djqwikcut is keeping up the good workdjqwikcut is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Evo to Iphone 4S questions

Im thinking about moving from the EVO 4G to the iPhone 4S on sprint. couple of questions that I hope someone can answer:

couple of questions:

1. how is the keyboard on the iPhone? since there is no SWYPE type of keyboard, how well can you type on it and have it come out correct? I hear IOS5 has some kind of SPLIT keyboard but I have no idea as I have not seen ios5 yet. a few people I work with have iphones but none have IOS5 on them.

2. coming from the EVO with a larger screen, how clear is the Iphone smaller screen? I currently use my EVO in a holder with a GPS program called COPILOT and I dont want to go go a smaller screen and not be able to see or read the details on COPILOT for iphone.

3. Is there something similar to SPRINT TV and SPRINT FOOTBALL LIVE for the iphone?

4. how are you dealing with no JAILBREAK? or do you not care about JAILBREAK? I like the ability on the EVO to have WIDGETS for comon things I do (turn on/off BLUETOOTH, WIFI, ETC). only with JB can you add this feature. Also, on my EVO, I use WIDGET LICKER to put the weather, calendar (agenda list), mised calls, new mail count, new text message count, is there somethgin like this for iphone? I know you can do it with JB but without, can you?

5. What about a popup when a text message comes in? on my EVO I have a nice program that replaces the stock text message app and when one comes in, I get a popup for the text message to READ it and then I can reply right there. I used to have to listen for the tone or see the blinking led, then go into the stock messaging app to read and reply. can this be done on the ihpne?

Thanks ...
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Sprint Evo to Iphone 4S questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqwikcut View Post
Im thinking about moving from the EVO 4G to the iPhone 4S on sprint. couple of questions that I hope someone can answer:

couple of questions:

1. how is the keyboard on the iPhone? since there is no SWYPE type of keyboard, how well can you type on it and have it come out correct? I hear IOS5 has some kind of SPLIT keyboard but I have no idea as I have not seen ios5 yet. a few people I work with have iphones but none have IOS5 on them.
I have big hands and can type fine on my iPhone 4, without even turning it for landscape mode. The text prediction is very good. Sorry, but the split keyboard only works with iOS 5 on the iPad and iPad 2. The screen on the iPhone isn't big enough to make it useful on the phone. See the images below:

iPhone 4 with iOS 5- Portrait Mode

iPhone 4 with iOS 5- Landscape Mode

iPad 2 with iOS 5- Stock Keyboard

iPad 2 with iOS 5- Split Keyboard

Quote:
2. coming from the EVO with a larger screen, how clear is the Iphone smaller screen? I currently use my EVO in a holder with a GPS program called COPILOT and I dont want to go go a smaller screen and not be able to see or read the details on COPILOT for iphone.
The resolution is higher and nicer. The screen is much brighter than the EVO and also the colors are more crisp and defined. While it is a little smaller, I don't think it will cause you an issue.

Quote:
3. Is there something similar to SPRINT TV and SPRINT FOOTBALL LIVE for the iphone?
I did a quick search in the App Store and didn't see the Sprint versions, but these questions would best be asked of a Sprint employee. Or, look at the demo model and see if they are on there. I would bet they aren't available yet, but will likely come soon. As for alternatives, yes, there are plenty for both. Some free, some paid for.

Quote:
4. how are you dealing with no JAILBREAK? or do you not care about JAILBREAK? I like the ability on the EVO to have WIDGETS for comon things I do (turn on/off BLUETOOTH, WIFI, ETC). only with JB can you add this feature. Also, on my EVO, I use WIDGET LICKER to put the weather, calendar (agenda list), mised calls, new mail count, new text message count, is there somethgin like this for iphone? I know you can do it with JB but without, can you?
I don't personally care about jailbreaking my iPhone or iPad because I don't mind paying for the apps. you are correct, widgets aren't going to happen without being jailbroken, which is not yet possible. The new iOS 5 lockscreen will let you see weather, missed calls, new mail messages, new text messages. I'm not sure about the calendar because I haven't looked yet. Though it will alert you of upcoming appointments.

Quote:
5. What about a popup when a text message comes in? on my EVO I have a nice program that replaces the stock text message app and when one comes in, I get a popup for the text message to READ it and then I can reply right there. I used to have to listen for the tone or see the blinking led, then go into the stock messaging app to read and reply. can this be done on the ihpne?
If the screen on your iPhone is off, you can have it wake with new messages. Then you can swipe the message to go directly to reply in that SMS thread. If the screen is on, you can have it popup a box where you can read the message and then dismiss or reply to it. The reply button lets you reply directly in that SMS thread.

Quote:
Thanks ...
You're welcome
Old 11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

about the swype thing, there is a "swype" keyboard for it if it's jailbroken later, not from teh same company as swype though, more like the programmer stole swype to make it work in iOS :S
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
about the swype thing, there is a "swype" keyboard for it if it's jailbroken later, not from teh same company as swype though, more like the programmer stole swype to make it work in iOS :S
That's true, but unfortunately it is an old beta version that has not been updated in quite a while and really doesn't work very well.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
That's true, but unfortunately it is an old beta version that has not been updated in quite a while and really doesn't work very well.
Yep. I have it running on my iPod touch and it's not very good. it Misses most of the words. I'm still undecided about spending over $500 on the iPhone. Need to get 64 gig as there is no sd card slot and I don't want to run out of memory

Sent from my EVO4G using Tapatalk.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Forgot to ask. Is there a program to batch convert My mp3 ringtones to the iPhone format? I want to assign custom ringers to contacts.

Also can I assign custom tones for when a text message and email comes in?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Your mp3 files will automatically convert when you put them on itunes.

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
Your mp3 files will automatically convert when you put them on itunes.

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
I dont think they will convert to the m4r format needed for ring tones.. if I am reading correct, you cant just use a standard mp3 file for a ring tone like you can on android - UNLESS this is new on IOS5 or something I cant find doing a google search.. all the sites say you need to convert Mp3 ringtones to M4R then drop them in itunes and then they are recognized as ringtones rather they regular MP3 files that go in your music library.

Using Mp3 ringtones is one of the nice android features...
Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

That is correct, the iPhone will not allow you to use MP3 files for ringtones, it requires them to be in the m4r format. For me, it is easy because I have a Macbook Pro and use a free converter called Switch. I know there are a couple of good converters that can run on the iPhone, but it isn't that easy. You still need to drag the converted files into the ringtones folder of your device in iTunes to be able to choose them on the phone.

However, with all of that said, I found a cool way to do it for free in iTunes on any platform. I'll work up a tutorial with screen shots and post it shortly.

Last edited by rainfreak; 11-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Looks like i'm not getting an iPhone. Everything I can do on the evo cannot be done on iPhone. For instance, no custom point of intrest on CoPilot for iPhone. No sound profiles, no widgets, no Swype etc. some can be fixed with jailbreak but there currently isn't one.

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions