PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

midnightsrealm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation WHAT IS BETTER?

I currently am planning on either purchasing the iPhone 4S (probably 32 GB) or Android Photon on the SPRINT network, and I really need help on choosing which phone is "best." I know this is a broad question, so I apologize in advance.

To my SHOCK, every employee in my local sprint store suggested the Droid Photon over the iPhone 4S, saying the iPhone was just the "cool" phone right now, is not better than the Droid Photon, and it is as simple as that. Is it really "that simple"?

Please, any and all serious feedback/opinions etc. (hopefully based on fact!) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much PPCGeeks!

-MR
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: WHAT IS BETTER?

I've had a similar situation trying to decide if I wanted to upgrade to the 4s.

Apple is the only one making money on the iphones. The carriers are basically getting screwed on the deal. I would expect that the salesmen are making more commission on the Droid army so that's what they're pitching. I wouldn't exactly take their recommendation for anything other than self serving.

Apple spent a lot of time making the 4s bulletproof. In the end, most of us just want it to work. Even though I'd like a larger phone, I'm still giving it serious consideration.

What might help is to look at some of the Droid threads and see what kinds of problems people are having. I've always found negative reviews more informative.

Last edited by JimP; 10-23-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

You're going to have to answer that question for yourself. I had an EVO and liked it a lot, but I also got tired of all the hacking on my phone, and wanted to try something more stable and solid. I switched to the iPhone 4 (VZW) and haven't thought one time about going back to Android. I like it a lot and it does everything that I need it to, and it does it all very well.

Remember, Sprint offers a 14 day money back guarantee. So go get an iPhone 4 and a good case, then work and play with it and decide for yourself. If you don't like it, take it back in the first 14 days and swap it out for something else. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Depends what you like in your phone......If you were going to go Android, I would recommend the Epic 4G Touch over the Photon though. It is smooth as butter and the screen is large and gorgeous. The E4GT runs great right out of the box and there is no need to hack this phone to have a great experience.

So what it really comes down to is what OS do you prefer. For my needs, I like Android. While people think iOS is simple to use and everything just works, every time I do something on an iPhone I say, man is that a stupid way to do it and realize how good Android does it. So I do not get the simplicity factor that people think the iPhone has. It is more like a dumb factor to me.

Also, their is a difference between an app drawer and a launcher. With an iPhone, you don't get a launcher but just an app drawer. With Android, you get a launcher and an app drawer. It is the launchers that really make Android shine. It allows you to get a lot of information on your home pages and their is nothing better then wigets for this. iOS is tryin to copy Android in this sense as they added some items to their drop down menu which was also a direct rip from Android.

From what Apple is doing with their iOS, it is pretty clear that Android has become the train setter in mobile OS's and iOS is just adding more Android features as time moves on.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor

If you want a phone with a lot of bugs like loss of service, battery draining Android OS bug and just general issues as of now, then get the Epic 4G Touch. Out the box, it's decent until you start noticing huge battery drain and the now familiar "Loss of service" where the phone just loses service/reception, locks up and won't regain service again until a reboot.
I flashed numerous roms and combination of kernels and just gave up and went back to my Nexus S 4G. My phone would be dead in 7 hrs flat just siting in my pocket, no calls/sms. Imagine if i actually "used" it.

There's a 2 week trial. See if the 4S serves your needs. Despite all the iPhone hate, i would recommend it to family members first definitely before Android (and i'm an Android user). Not everyone wants or needs to know how to root their phone or flash kernels or odin this and tar that just to get it to "work".

My take..
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Franken Pre Plus/Touch Pro

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff

I've had the samsung epic, and currently running the palm pre. I didn't really like the android service at all, I think the old web os is great. I'm ready to try out the iphone, but need to tether, so waiting for it to be jailbroken. I'd say try it out like Merovingian said.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

I like my E4GT a lot, but the LOS issue really gets old. It happens to me quite a bit, although your experience may be different. As for the 4S, I have to say I love mine (Vzw). I haven't felt a need to Jailbreak it since I don't mind buying the Apps I want and it really does seem to work without any hiccups (as of yet). My E4GT was great out of the box and it is still a great device, but it's hard to recommend something that can't maintain a connection. Play with them both and whatever else catches your eye and make a choice. Don't let other peoples recommendations make the decision for you. You have to live with whatever you buy, not us.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaDarla View Post
I like my E4GT a lot, but the LOS issue really gets old. It happens to me quite a bit, although your experience may be different. As for the 4S, I have to say I love mine (Vzw). I haven't felt a need to Jailbreak it since I don't mind buying the Apps I want and it really does seem to work without any hiccups (as of yet). My E4GT was great out of the box and it is still a great device, but it's hard to recommend something that can't maintain a connection. Play with them both and whatever else catches your eye and make a choice. Don't let other peoples recommendations make the decision for you. You have to live with whatever you buy, not us.
The signal issues you were experiencing with the E4GT is not related to the device but with sprint. I have an Epic and a Droid Charge side by side next to each other. The Epic has 1 bar signal and the Droid charge has 4.

Sprint network just isn't what it used to be

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

It isn't were, it is current. It is the phone because the signal strength is not the issue, I have great coverage. I have reactivated my Epic recently and didn't have any loss of service issues at all after doing so. My E4GT dropped complete coverage twice before I even left the house earlier requiring a complete reboot just to get any signal at all (granted I left at like 11:30ish) and that is with Airave coverage. Are you confusing poor coverage with a total loss of service?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaDarla View Post
It isn't were, it is current. It is the phone because the signal strength is not the issue, I have great coverage. I have reactivated my Epic recently and didn't have any loss of service issues at all after doing so. My E4GT dropped complete coverage twice before I even left the house earlier requiring a complete reboot just to get any signal at all (granted I left at like 11:30ish) and that is with Airave coverage. Are you confusing poor coverage with a total loss of service?
Well to clarify, does this happen outside of the Airave coverage?

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Tags
best phone, droid photon, iphone 4s, which is better