PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

nmjones is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Considering the iPhone

There is a rumour that Sprint will get iPhone 5 in October. I have never considered iPhone before. I stuck with the old Windows phones because of the seamless sync with Outlook. Went to android when Sprint wouldn't get any new Windows phone but having some issues with Android sync with Outlook. Now cosidering iPhone. Can anyone tell me what their sync experience is with the iPhone and Outlook and other Microsoft products (Word, Excel, One Note).
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Considering the iPhone

I have an iPhone 4 and it syncs great with my Exchange server, though I have never tried to sync to just Outlook. With an Exchange sync available, I would never have a reason to sync to Outlook, sorry. You can natively view Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents in IOS, however you will need to get an app (free - $20) to edit existing documents or create new ones.

I would recommend that you check out one or more of the following links for more information on the iPhone (PPCG is pretty dead for IOS devices):

iPhone - MacRumors Forums

iPhone General Discussion - iPhone Forum
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

nmjones is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
I have an iPhone 4 and it syncs great with my Exchange server, though I have never tried to sync to just Outlook. With an Exchange sync available, I would never have a reason to sync to Outlook, sorry. You can natively view Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents in IOS, however you will need to get an app (free - $20) to edit existing documents or create new ones.

I would recommend that you check out one or more of the following links for more information on the iPhone (PPCG is pretty dead for IOS devices):

iPhone - MacRumors Forums

iPhone General Discussion - iPhone Forum
Thanks...I appreciate the reply and suggestions.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjones View Post
There is a rumour that Sprint will get iPhone 5 in October. I have never considered iPhone before. I stuck with the old Windows phones because of the seamless sync with Outlook. Went to android when Sprint wouldn't get any new Windows phone but having some issues with Android sync with Outlook. Now cosidering iPhone. Can anyone tell me what their sync experience is with the iPhone and Outlook and other Microsoft products (Word, Excel, One Note).
OneNote - there's a free app for that.
Word/Excel - read only support (viewers) built in. QuickOffice app ($) for editing
Exchange - full support
Outlook sync via iTunes (which means you want a reasonably powerful sync machine, windows or Mac)

I've got the iP4 - works great for me.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

nmjones is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
OneNote - there's a free app for that.
Word/Excel - read only support (viewers) built in. QuickOffice app ($) for editing
Exchange - full support
Outlook sync via iTunes (which means you want a reasonably powerful sync machine, windows or Mac)

I've got the iP4 - works great for me.

Ahhh...the One Note free app sounds good. I had to stop using it when I went to android. I don't mind paying for a Word/Excel application since I use them so much (as long as the price is reasonable). I did end up hearing about the sync with itunes. What I havent found out yet is if there is a fee for iTunes or would I have the capability of syncing using the iTunes feature automatically.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

iTunes is free, sync via itunes is free, native sync to exchange OTA is free native sync OTA to google is free, too.

QuickOffice is $15/on sale for $10

Quickoffice » Quickoffice for iPhone
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

nmjones is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
iTunes is free, sync via itunes is free, native sync to exchange OTA is free native sync OTA to google is free, too.

QuickOffice is $15/on sale for $10

Quickoffice » Quickoffice for iPhone
Looks like that's everything I needed to know. Now I wait for Sprint to get the iphone and play with it for a while to see if I like it. Thanks everyone for your help.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions