PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Considering the iPhone (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146693)

nmjones 08-27-2011 09:22 AM

Considering the iPhone

There is a rumour that Sprint will get iPhone 5 in October. I have never considered iPhone before. I stuck with the old Windows phones because of the seamless sync with Outlook. Went to android when Sprint wouldn't get any new Windows phone but having some issues with Android sync with Outlook. Now cosidering iPhone. Can anyone tell me what their sync experience is with the iPhone and Outlook and other Microsoft products (Word, Excel, One Note).

rainfreak 08-29-2011 09:38 PM

Re: Considering the iPhone

I have an iPhone 4 and it syncs great with my Exchange server, though I have never tried to sync to just Outlook. With an Exchange sync available, I would never have a reason to sync to Outlook, sorry. You can natively view Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents in IOS, however you will need to get an app (free - $20) to edit existing documents or create new ones.

I would recommend that you check out one or more of the following links for more information on the iPhone (PPCG is pretty dead for IOS devices):

iPhone - MacRumors Forums

iPhone General Discussion - iPhone Forum

nmjones 08-30-2011 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 2141507)
I have an iPhone 4 and it syncs great with my Exchange server, though I have never tried to sync to just Outlook. With an Exchange sync available, I would never have a reason to sync to Outlook, sorry. You can natively view Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents in IOS, however you will need to get an app (free - $20) to edit existing documents or create new ones.

I would recommend that you check out one or more of the following links for more information on the iPhone (PPCG is pretty dead for IOS devices):

iPhone - MacRumors Forums

iPhone General Discussion - iPhone Forum

Thanks...I appreciate the reply and suggestions.

schettj 08-31-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmjones (Post 2140979)
There is a rumour that Sprint will get iPhone 5 in October. I have never considered iPhone before. I stuck with the old Windows phones because of the seamless sync with Outlook. Went to android when Sprint wouldn't get any new Windows phone but having some issues with Android sync with Outlook. Now cosidering iPhone. Can anyone tell me what their sync experience is with the iPhone and Outlook and other Microsoft products (Word, Excel, One Note).

OneNote - there's a free app for that.
Word/Excel - read only support (viewers) built in. QuickOffice app ($) for editing
Exchange - full support
Outlook sync via iTunes (which means you want a reasonably powerful sync machine, windows or Mac)

I've got the iP4 - works great for me.

nmjones 09-02-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2141781)
OneNote - there's a free app for that.
Word/Excel - read only support (viewers) built in. QuickOffice app ($) for editing
Exchange - full support
Outlook sync via iTunes (which means you want a reasonably powerful sync machine, windows or Mac)

I've got the iP4 - works great for me.

Ahhh...the One Note free app sounds good. I had to stop using it when I went to android. I don't mind paying for a Word/Excel application since I use them so much (as long as the price is reasonable). I did end up hearing about the sync with itunes. What I havent found out yet is if there is a fee for iTunes or would I have the capability of syncing using the iTunes feature automatically.

schettj 09-02-2011 06:37 PM

iTunes is free, sync via itunes is free, native sync to exchange OTA is free native sync OTA to google is free, too.

QuickOffice is $15/on sale for $10

Quickoffice » Quickoffice for iPhone

nmjones 09-03-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2142406)
iTunes is free, sync via itunes is free, native sync to exchange OTA is free native sync OTA to google is free, too.

QuickOffice is $15/on sale for $10

Quickoffice » Quickoffice for iPhone

Looks like that's everything I needed to know. Now I wait for Sprint to get the iphone and play with it for a while to see if I like it. Thanks everyone for your help.