PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 4, 32GB
Carrier: VZW

Shohan is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newb questions... Be gentle.

So I dropped my old school Droid and since I wasn't impressed with the Thunderbolt I upgraded to an iPhone 4. I've played with them before, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I've got some newbie questions. I did lots of searching, but wasn't able to come up with much in the way of concrete or understandable answers. 32GB iPhone 4 with 4.2.6 jailbroken with green pois0n RC6.1

What is an SHSH blob and why should I back it up? It's a unique hash for my device or something right? And pretty much so I can downgrade if I needed to?

Why are there so many VZW iPhone 4s on Ebay?

With the iPhone using iTunes does it report back to Apple if the phone is jailbroken or not? Using unofficial apps? (From Cydia for example.)

Someone had mentioned that green pois0n was detectable by Apple where redsn0w wasn't. Something to do with an iTunes authentication issue. Any info on this?

HTC Mogul > Touch Pro > Touch Pro 2 > Droid > iPhone 4.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Newb questions... Be gentle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohan View Post
So I dropped my old school Droid and since I wasn't impressed with the Thunderbolt I upgraded to an iPhone 4. I've played with them before, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I've got some newbie questions. I did lots of searching, but wasn't able to come up with much in the way of concrete or understandable answers. 32GB iPhone 4 with 4.2.6 jailbroken with green pois0n RC6.1

What is an SHSH blob and why should I back it up? It's a unique hash for my device or something right? And pretty much so I can downgrade if I needed to?

Why are there so many VZW iPhone 4s on Ebay?

With the iPhone using iTunes does it report back to Apple if the phone is jailbroken or not? Using unofficial apps? (From Cydia for example.)

Someone had mentioned that green pois0n was detectable by Apple where redsn0w wasn't. Something to do with an iTunes authentication issue. Any info on this?

yes on the SHSH blob. You can also use it to downgrade your baseband sometimes, this is more for GSM iPhones though, since there doesn't seem to be a carrier lock on the CDMA version.

You can usually downgrade firmware just fine by putting the phone in DFU and flashing the older firmware.

I don't know that iTunes can tell Apple if you're jailbroken or not. I can research a little more but I think you're good either way. I think ultimately they know who's jailbroken and who's not, but there's no way for them to "prove it" in warranty issues if you've restored it back to stock because then they'd have to admit that they are violating your privacy. It is also legal to jailbreak your device so there's not much they can do other than patch exploits while the hackers find more.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Focus
Carrier: At&t

nite732 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to nite732 Send a message via Yahoo to nite732 Send a message via Skype™ to nite732

The reason that their are so many verizon iphones on ebay is because CDMA phones have to be in the carriers system or approved to be put on a carriers system. If a phone is stolen or lost that phone cannot be activated. On GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) you for lack of better words don't need the carrier you just pop the SIM card in and the phone works. No system to go through. Alot of those phones on ebay cannot be activated.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

That doesn't make much sense...
If you can just pop a sim card into an ATT phone... Why would there not be more ATT phones on ebay?

There must be something going on with the Verizon iPhone.

I have Sprint which is a CDMA network... If I want to buy a phone form my carrier it must have a clean ESN in order for me to be able to activate it. If you steel my phone... I call Sprint and the ESN gets hosed. So that my phone cannot be reactivated on someone else's acconunt.

Any other ideas as to why so many VZ iphones on ebay?
p.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iphone
Carrier: AT&T

drift365 is keeping up the good workdrift365 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to drift365

I dont think that there is a carrier lock on the cdma iphone. There might be more because its easier to move to a new network, or, its just more popular and more people are looking for it through ebay.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Focus
Carrier: At&t

nite732 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to nite732 Send a message via Yahoo to nite732 Send a message via Skype™ to nite732

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
That doesn't make much sense...
If you can just pop a sim card into an ATT phone... Why would there not be more ATT phones on ebay?

There must be something going on with the Verizon iPhone.

I have Sprint which is a CDMA network... If I want to buy a phone form my carrier it must have a clean ESN in order for me to be able to activate it. If you steel my phone... I call Sprint and the ESN gets hosed. So that my phone cannot be reactivated on someone else's acconunt.

Any other ideas as to why so many VZ iphones on ebay?
p.
If you steal a CDMA phone you are stuck with it. You cannot activate it. Most people don't know that so they put them on ebay for other people who don't know to buy them.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I did not know that... I'm glad I haven't stolen any iphones then. LOL.
p.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Actually you could activate it on like Cricket, which happens all the time with phones. You just gotta go through the painful process of programming it and hoping you can find the directions online.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Actually you could activate it on like Cricket, which happens all the time with phones. You just gotta go through the painful process of programming it and hoping you can find the directions online.
yeah but cricket service sucks pretty much everywhere, and they can't seem to get the right MMS and Data settings working on the i4 right now anyways, afaik.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions