PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TILT
Carrier: ATT

keland44 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy bricked iphone 3g? help please usb device not recognized

i was in the process of trying to install the redsn0w 0.9.6b1 with the 4.1 firmware things looked good got it going but being a newbie I didn't hold the home button until i saw images popping up on the phone so I kept getting stuck at the waiting for reboot part on the redsn0w install

so I unplugged it did the same thing a few times and now my pcs (i did try it in multiple systems) won't recognize the iphone I've searched around and what not online and multiple forums and nobody has come up with a good solution on how to get the iphone to be recognized by the usb
i can get the screen to the plug into itunes screen but still no luck

any suggestions? when I get it in dfu mode or recovery mode i still get the usb device not recognized error
i was wondering if i replaced the dock connector could this possibly fix the issue, i should be able to get all the parts and what not from ebay or amazon for under 15-20 bucks
anybody ran into this issue before?
thanks for your help in advance
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: bricked iphone 3g? help please usb device not recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by keland44 View Post
i was in the process of trying to install the redsn0w 0.9.6b1 with the 4.1 firmware things looked good got it going but being a newbie I didn't hold the home button until i saw images popping up on the phone so I kept getting stuck at the waiting for reboot part on the redsn0w install

so I unplugged it did the same thing a few times and now my pcs (i did try it in multiple systems) won't recognize the iphone I've searched around and what not online and multiple forums and nobody has come up with a good solution on how to get the iphone to be recognized by the usb
i can get the screen to the plug into itunes screen but still no luck

any suggestions? when I get it in dfu mode or recovery mode i still get the usb device not recognized error
i was wondering if i replaced the dock connector could this possibly fix the issue, i should be able to get all the parts and what not from ebay or amazon for under 15-20 bucks
anybody ran into this issue before?
thanks for your help in advance

it's not bricked,

put it in a drawer for 24 hours, wait for the battery to drain, then plug into iTunes, it will recognize it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
it's not bricked,

put it in a drawer for 24 hours, wait for the battery to drain, then plug into iTunes, it will recognize it.
thanks for the reply should i let the battery completely drain? then try and fire it up?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
thanks for the reply should i let the battery completely drain? then try and fire it up?
yeah that works for me every time I "brick" an iPhone doing something crazy. Let it drain completely then plug it in.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
yeah that works for me every time I "brick" an iPhone doing something crazy. Let it drain completely then plug it in.
coo thanks man to bad there isn't a quick way to drain the thing it was probably about 80% when i stopped messing with it yesterday

I'll reply back and let you know how things went in a few days thanks for the advice.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
coo thanks man to bad there isn't a quick way to drain the thing it was probably about 80% when i stopped messing with it yesterday

I'll reply back and let you know how things went in a few days thanks for the advice.
no problem.

The geniuses at Apple couldn't be bothered to put a damn removable battery or at least a force restart button (the HD2 has both) for these situations..
Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

yea htc's build quality is nice or i guess we can say it's more hacker friendly when it comes to situations like this
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
yea htc's build quality is nice or i guess we can say it's more hacker friendly when it comes to situations like this
not recently, look what they did to the G2, people are still trying to find a way to root this thing (not just a temp-root). HTC is starting to get too Apple-like for my taste, but with the HD2 they got it just right, you can do everything and anything with this phone.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ight orange i let it die all the way plugged it up and i'm still getting the usb device not recognized

what's the next suggestions you have for me?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP with Twisted Access 1.5
Carrier: Alltel but not for long

hessien is keeping up the good workhessien is keeping up the good work

try to put it into DMU mode.

Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.
Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.
Alternative Method:

Step 1. Connect iphone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Alternate Method: Going Into DFU Mode Without Button Pushing: Easier than timing the buttons just right!

1.) First download the required archive http://www.sendspace.com/file/93fx93
2.) Extract the archive to the root of your hard drive, should be C:/DFU/
3.) Connect your iPhone and ignore iTunes
4.) Goto Start – run
5.) Next type in “c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu”
6.) Wait for iPhone to show a “white” screen
7.) Now you may proceed to downgrade!

Last edited by hessien; 10-17-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Tags
bricked, iphone 3g, usb not recognized