PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
iPhone overclocking project.

Mr. X and I have been talking and trying to figure out how to get his 3G overclocked (or "regular clocked" since they underclock all their processors) and we got as far as deleting the power management plist, but we have no idea how to tell what the current clockspeed or anything like that.

It's a great idea, if anyone knows anything about this please post
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: iPhone overclocking project.

From my experience, deleting the power management plist on the iPhone 3G, will only stop the system from optimizing power when idle. In turn, battery run-time will be decreased without gaining any cpu clock speed increase. To actually overclock or make any change to the cpu clock speed, I think you would need to modify the read-only kernel files with a patch, and to my knowledge, that's not possible at this time.

As far as verifying cpu speed, the Checkup application by Server-Corporation, will test the cpu, memory, and nand storage read / write speeds, as well as gps and accelerometer accuracy. You could also run Mobile Terminal with the "sysctl hw.cpufrequency" command, in order to check the cpu clock speed. Although, I'm not sure if it actually tests the speed or just looks at the model number to find the speed. That said, I'd recommend testing it prior to any mods with Checkup, then reboot after any mods, and test again.

Best of luck,
R
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy View Post
From my experience, deleting the power management plist on the iPhone 3G, will only stop the system from optimizing power when idle. In turn, battery run-time will be decreased without gaining any cpu clock speed increase. To actually overclock or make any change to the cpu clock speed, I think you would need to modify the read-only kernel files with a patch, and to my knowledge, that's not possible at this time.

As far as verifying cpu speed, the Checkup application by Server-Corporation, will test the cpu, memory, and nand storage read / write speeds, as well as gps and accelerometer accuracy. You could also run Mobile Terminal with the "sysctl hw.cpufrequency" command, in order to check the cpu clock speed. Although, I'm not sure if it actually tests the speed or just looks at the model number to find the speed. That said, I'd recommend testing it prior to any mods with Checkup, then reboot after any mods, and test again.

Best of luck,
R
thanks,

Yeah that's the data I had gathered, we're looking to see if we can build/find a ROM dumping tool and basically trying to cook someting with a modified clock speed and some other features.

It's not easy, but I hate that there are like 5 devs on teh planet who are really developing for iPhone with unlocks and jailbreaks and the rest of us sit here waiting.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
thanks,

Yeah that's the data I had gathered, we're looking to see if we can build/find a ROM dumping tool and basically trying to cook someting with a modified clock speed and some other features.

It's not easy, but I hate that there are like 5 devs on teh planet who are really developing for iPhone with unlocks and jailbreaks and the rest of us sit here waiting.
Thanks for the thanks, and yes, I feel the same way in regard to any iOS development from the kernel up. Nonetheless, if possible, please keep us updated on Mr. X's and your progress.

Best to all,
R
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions