PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Can you legally unlock iphone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=128850)

NIKKG 07-16-2010 11:30 AM

Can you legally unlock iphone?

Is there a way I can get T-Mobile on my old 3GS legally without jailbreaking it? Can I call up Apple or someone to have them do it through itunes? I don't see how they can legally block you from putting another GSM provider if you own the phone outright and under no contract.

orangekid 07-16-2010 01:09 PM

Re: Can you legally unlock iphone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1868536)
Is there a way I can get T-Mobile on my old 3GS legally without jailbreaking it? Can I call up Apple or someone to have them do it through itunes? I don't see how they can legally block you from putting another GSM provider if you own the phone outright and under no contract.

Currently there is a class action lawsuit against ATT basically saying that when someone's contract is over ATT should have to unlock the device to use on any carrier, until that is settled, you cannot unlock the device without jailbreaking it,

also note that it is not illegal to jailbreak or unlock an iPhone, it just voids your warranty.

darren.wlsn1 07-16-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1868763)
Currently there is a class action lawsuit against ATT basically saying that when someone's contract is over ATT should have to unlock the device to use on any carrier, until that is settled, you cannot unlock the device without jailbreaking it,

also note that it is not illegal to jailbreak or unlock an iPhone, it just voids your warranty.

plus it wouldnt be talked about on ppcg. lol
isnt it in your sig mr.muscles?

orangekid 07-16-2010 01:14 PM

indeed it is, D-Dub!

although currently the only phones that cannot be jailbroken are the 3GS on iOS 4 (which was not previously jailbroken with pwnage tool) and iPhone 4.

NIKKG 07-16-2010 01:19 PM

Than we really need some laws against locking on any phones. If you own it, you should be free to do whatever you want. Sick of these companies thinking they own people and can do whatever they want.

darren.wlsn1 07-16-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1868790)
Than we really need some laws against locking on any phones. If you own it, you should be free to do whatever you want. Sick of these companies thinking they own people and can do whatever they want.

agree but good luck with that law. lol dont really own the guts of the ppc.

orangekid 07-16-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1868790)

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1868810)
agree but good luck with that law. lol dont really own the guts of the ppc.

If ATT loses this lawsuit, then after contract expiration or ETF payment they will be forced to factory unlock your phone. With most phones you can unlock them anyways. On Tmobile, you can just tell them you're "leaving the country" and they will give you a SIM unlock code.