PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: VZW Iphone in January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
What, they still manufacture this iPhone brand? I thought it was out of business cause no one uses it...:P

Also for the 6month thing..if those ppl cancel they pay 2x the ETF fee...my guess is it will come to verizon and others...because at this rate, Apple is loosing out to Android, discussion aside on which is better..being on 1 network hurts their sales at this point...

Not to mention, ever since money was made on the appstore..and introduction of iAds..apple probably wants to reach as many people as possible..rather then simply making money off sales and % of contract.
that's true,

people make a big deal about OMG Android has more market share, but thats for a zillion phones on all 4 networks,

will be interesting to see.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: so guess what my verizon Rep Told me ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Just because Verizon will start rolling out LTE at the end of this year doesn't mean it will completely replace the CDMA network anytime soon. CDMA will be around for awhile, and a CDMA iPhone would make a lot of sense for Apple. You act as if it would be a waste of time to develop a CDMA iPhone and I am not sure why.
agreed, they can't just flip a switch and completely replace the CDMA network so presumably the first devices would be hybrid, i was actually talking to a coworker yesterday about how it would make sense for apple to wait for LTE for verizon but they'd have to stick a CDMA radio in it anyway just to maintain coverage during the transition (assuming iphone goes to VZW in the next 2 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaOd View Post
My understanding is that Verizon is planning to use LTE for data and continue using CDMA for a while on voice. I guess we won't know until Verizon actually rolls it out.
initially yes, they're going to run them both but the plan is eventually to have LTE run both voice and data simulataneously
Old 06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

VZW iPhone threads merged.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The only reason Android got big was because it was a reasonable substitute for the iphone on other networks. That’s probably why Apple wanted to drop ATT, they didn’t want Android to gain a foothold. Anyways, competition is always good!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy SIII

fozmsu is keeping up the good workfozmsu is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
what always confused me though, if it's so easy, why didn't they just go with LTE in the first place?

I think it was, and this is just my opinion, because when they were deciding which technology to go with at the time, WiMax looked like what was going to be used by everyone. Today of course, LTE seems to be the future. I am sure there was something to do with partnerships with other companies mixed in there, but this is all speculation from my end. I just think that if Sprint was truly smart and did think ahead on how to jump ship in the middle of this techno advancement, it was very smart for them.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Focus
Carrier: At&t

nite732 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to nite732 Send a message via Yahoo to nite732 Send a message via Skype™ to nite732

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
voice + data is overrated. who actually uses that? I don't and I'm ON GSM, lol.

when i was on sprint it was never an issue. most people are around computers or can get to one or can just browse or talk.
I actually do use it and have been using it before the commercials and I also use the multi-line and can add as many as six people on one call which cdma does not allow. The whole reason for so called 4g is for the cdma services to catch up to gsm. GSM is the world standard because the data transfer allows for more that cdma. So without 4g cdma is a dead technology.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozmsu View Post
I think it was, and this is just my opinion, because when they were deciding which technology to go with at the time, WiMax looked like what was going to be used by everyone. Today of course, LTE seems to be the future. I am sure there was something to do with partnerships with other companies mixed in there, but this is all speculation from my end. I just think that if Sprint was truly smart and did think ahead on how to jump ship in the middle of this techno advancement, it was very smart for them.
I don't remember the timeline exactly because it's been a few years but I think Europe was already talking about LTE long before Sprint decided on Wimax however several asian countries were already using Wimax and that probably is what influenced the decision
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions