PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Let's Guess The Fix! iPhone 4 Reception (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126734)

elephant007 06-25-2010 11:53 PM

Let's Guess The Fix! iPhone 4 Reception

Okay first of all I'm not an iPhone user nor am I here to bash Apple I'm just curious as to what you think the fix will be for the perceived reception problem blowing up the internet about the iPhone 4

Here are my guesses
  1. For now, iPhone 4 users will get a free rubberized case for their phone
  2. A firmware fix
  3. The second generation of iPhone 4 won't have the band

SoFocused504 06-26-2010 02:10 AM

Re: Let's Guess The Fix! iPhone 4 Reception

I currently cant replicate the issue that much as other users can i have to hulk squeeze my phone in order for the signal to drop but even then it stills leave me with 1 bar on the signal meter

rhacy 06-26-2010 02:54 PM

I think the fix should be giving out free rubber cases for any already purchased v4 units. Plus, Apple should include a free case with any units sold from now on, until the fault is corrected in the manufacturing process. That said, I highly recommend a case for the iPhone anyway, in order to protect against scratches and slippage. As for a fix without any type of outer case, my guess is that Apple will add a clear coat with the correct properties to minimize the signal degradation when the unit is held at the antenna band location. IMHO, this specific problem is solely hardware design related. In turn, it appears highly unlikely that any firmware could correct the issue. Just my .02 cents...

Best to all,
R

GirlGoneGeek 06-29-2010 10:35 AM

The owner Steve Jobs said this is the fix:

Don't hold it that way.

I don't think that was appropriate but did LOL and hope they find a better solution!

NIKKG 06-29-2010 11:09 AM

I tried producing the reception problem many times, it can happen depending on location. At work the problem won't happen, but at home where I have spotty coverage it tends to happen. Its not really a big deal because I need a case for the phone anyway because the 2 sided glass is slippy. My iphone slipped off the couch and hit the carpet probably 6 times already. I am waiting for a cheap temporary case I ordered to ship, there doesn't seem to be that many cases available for it yet.

Whoever is buying the iphone, plan on getting a case no matter what because the phone is just too slick to hold. I wanted to get the case-mate gelli cases but the nice colors are sold out.

jbearamus 06-30-2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney1985 (Post 1843552)
The owner Steve Jobs said this is the fix:

Don't hold it that way.

I don't think that was appropriate but did LOL and hope they find a better solution!

yup, hold it in your right hand and turn into a lefty like steve

like i've always said (in person not on here) apple designs their products with a specific way to use them in mind, and if you don't use it like Steve uses it, then you're SOL :D

elephant007 07-16-2010 11:13 PM

Guess it's free cases!!
Sweet just like I'd want buy a sleek phone and put it in a case

FAIL

austin420 07-17-2010 04:19 PM

apples answer
were going to give you a case that uglifies our cool design to fix a problem we dont think exists!

evilpenguin123 07-17-2010 05:20 PM

Well, i think its based off poor design mostly..
They screwed up on the antenna and i think the only thing they can really do is the following:

-Fix the issue at the factory and offer everyone who has the defective phone a new and fixed iphone with the trade in of the old v4.

-produce a case that serves as an exterior antenna to boost signal strength.

Option 1? lose money.
Option 2? make tons of cash.

Personally i'd bank on the second idea...
IMHO, i dont think much will come of this.. it will be pushed out of the news by something new and shiny and the problem will be a personal issue between users and Apple..

jbearamus 07-18-2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilpenguin123 (Post 1870845)
Well, i think its based off poor design mostly..

I like how the RIM CEOs said it, "We've been industry leaders in smartphone antennas for 20 years and there's a reason we've never put the antenna on the outside" :D