PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PPCGEEKS should expand iPhone coverage

I think PPCGEEKS should expand its iPhone coverage. Yeah I know most of the people here are usually Sprint folks using WinMo, but WinMo is dead. Even the new WinMo7 is only playing catch-up to iPhone. Might as well devote more coverage to the market leader. At least your now devoting more coverage for Android which is a good thing.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: PPCGEEKS should expand iPhone coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
I think PPCGEEKS should expand its iPhone coverage. Yeah I know most of the people here are usually Sprint folks using WinMo, but WinMo is dead. Even the new WinMo7 is only playing catch-up to iPhone. Might as well devote more coverage to the market leader. At least your now devoting more coverage for Android which is a good thing.
well, as you can see I definitely put lots of iCoverage on the boards with news stories, how-to's, themes and such.

As you can also see, this is more of a CDMA oriented website. We don't have that good of coverage on the Nexus One either, but the Evo blew up!

When the CDMA iPhone comes to town, we will have more and more coverage. In the mean time you can help by posting in the themes section as well as the general and upgrade forums.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

In a couple years, it won't matter whether its CDMA or GSM, it'll all be LTE unless Sprint continues with WiMAX
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

true,

and Sprint won't continue with Wimax after a year or so.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

You should give Apple's iOS (15% marketshare) and Blackberry (19%) its own heading like the Android and Windows instead of lumping them as "other" I mean come on, those 2 combined are like half the smart phone market alone, I wouldn't classify them as being "other." WinMo is 7% and dropping like a brick, that's what I call "other". You guys gotta get with the times!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
You should give Apple's iOS (15% marketshare) and Blackberry (19%) its own heading like the Android and Windows instead of lumping them as "other" I mean come on, those 2 combined are like half the smart phone market alone, I wouldn't classify them as being "other." WinMo is 7% and dropping like a brick, that's what I call "other". You guys gotta get with the times!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
the difference is that iOS only applies to ONE phone on ONE network, whereas WM and Android apply to TONS of phones.

RIM's OS is not very complicated and does not have much of a dev community. It's more the lack of demand right now for iOS. This site was founded on WM and as you can see WM and Android take the cake (more Android lately).

For every post in here there's like 100 in the Evo forums.

iOS will grow but with android you can flash custom ROMs and develop so much more on an open source platform than iOS.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM

to put it in better perspective.

Evo 4G = almost 30,000 posts

iPhone forums = almost 2,000 posts
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
to put it in better perspective.

Evo 4G = almost 30,000 posts

iPhone forums = almost 2,000 posts
I understand, its because your serving the regulars here. However, if you plan on growing the site and getting more ad revenue ($$$), than you'll need to attract new members or else you'll only be the XDA of the CDMA world.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM

well that's exactly what I'm doing

changing the Forum name isn't going to attract more people here, but having consolidated up-to-date information is, if you can think of some other ideas lay it down, I'm always up to try something.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

How about create a big article posted on the front page about "Where are we now", type of information. 3 years ago when the iPhone was released, it was about what it didn't have compared to WinMo and other platforms. You know, the simple stuff like MMS, etc. Now, as the phone, operating syste, and apps have matured, the distance is all but gone, if not eclipsed.

I personally have used WinMo phones for the last 7-8 years. I now own an iPhone 3GS and will have my iPhone 4 picked up by this time tomorrow (hopefully!). That being said, why do I have an iPhone now? Because what made the WinMo phones indespensable as an IT Admin/Consultant 5 years ago, is what has strengthened the iPhone today.

As of iOS 4, I personally can do everything on an iPhone that I could do on a WinMo phone, with far less hassle. There's either an app, or a jailbreak that will allow me to do whatever I need. The big kicker for me was multiple Exchange accounts. I have been so sick and tired of hearing Microsoft's same old "can't do more then one Exchange account" BS. As of a jailbreak, or now natively in iOS 4, I can do MULTIPLE exchange accounts and the system is smart enough to keep all my contacts, calendars and email seperate from each other, AND I can view them all in one place, AND I can see messages in threaded view.

What's my point? It would be informative to take an unbiased approach to comparing what each OS brings to the table. What can they do/not do. Start with a comparison from 3 years ago, through today. Whatever my needs, or someone elses are define which phone we endear ourselves to.

Let's make a list of what's useful, personal or business related, and put together some REAL-WORLD information about what functions, apps, etc. make one phone a choice over another:

SMS
MMS
Camera
Video
Email
Multiple email accounts
Apps (store)
Music
GPS
WiFi
CDMA vs GSM
Carrier vs Carrier
Jailbreak/Unlocked (ROM vs Firmware/Baseband?)
Speakerphone
Bluetooth
Touch screen
Hard buttons
Noise cancelation

That's all I could think of. Personally, I think it's more about people becoming interested in the real world then it ever is about what they read. The majority of people see a phone for a phone. They never visit a site like this to mess with their phone. I think a comparative article of all the things a phone has to offer, side-by-side, would lure people. That is what people are looking for online, "if I buy this phone what funtionality am I going to lose/gain?"

I went with iPhone because I wanted phone, GPS, music, camera, apps, etc., as an all-in-one device. I haven't used my Zune in weeks. I still have a Zune subscription, I just use Audials One (Tunebite) to strip the DRM so I can play it on another device. At $15 a month for unlimited downloads, I'm not trading that for $1.29 per song. If I had paid individually for the 10gb in music I have now, I would be broke. =) Bottom line, I'm not carrying 4 different devices with me anymore (phone, camera, Zune, GPS). I have one simple, easy to use, device.

Anyways, that's what I'd like to see.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions