PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   iOS 4 GM to iOS 4 Release? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126004)

zim2323 06-21-2010 05:38 PM

iOS 4 GM to iOS 4 Release?

I know Game Center is removed in the official release.

What happens if I update from the GM to the final release? Does the update/restore ultimately "restore" the gamecenter app since it is apart of the backup?

On that note, what happens come Thursday when I get my iPhone 4? Can I do a restore from 3GS, or do I need to download and install all the apps and configure settings again?

Thanks!

drift365 06-21-2010 05:43 PM

Re: iOS 4 GM to iOS 4 Release?

Todays release IS the GM release. they have the same version number. 8A293

orangekid 06-21-2010 05:49 PM

when you get your iPhone 4 if you sync your 3GS first it should install all the apps/contacts/music etc.. when you sync it thru itunes.

zim2323 06-21-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1828403)
Todays release IS the GM release. they have the same version number. 8A293

Todays release is NOT the GM. It is the same VERSION number, but the byte count is different. Game Center is removed, and others have reported bug fixes for wallpapers on older models.

I'm still waiting for someone that can tear through and list exactly what changed between GM and Official. Bottom line, same version number or not, they ARE different.

NIKKG 06-22-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2323 (Post 1828421)
Todays release is NOT the GM. It is the same VERSION number, but the byte count is different. Game Center is removed, and others have reported bug fixes for wallpapers on older models.

I'm still waiting for someone that can tear through and list exactly what changed between GM and Official. Bottom line, same version number or not, they ARE different.

I changed mines from the GM to the official release on Monday just to be sure I won't have any issues in the future. So far, it seems faster to me and more stable. Not sure if its true or just my mind playing tricks on me. I gotta say, the iOS4 kicks some serious butt, also the web browser seems so much better and faster. I also use Perfect Browser, it cost .99 from the app store, but its worth every penny because you can make it act like a IE 8 browser and you won't get anymore of those mobile sites.

nite732 06-22-2010 11:56 AM

The perfect browser is a lick thanks

Certs 06-22-2010 11:29 PM

This was enough to convince me so I upgraded to the official release. Yes Game Center is gone but I don't really notice much else. I restored also, still not there.

orangekid 06-23-2010 09:05 AM

I used iOS4 last night when I bought an iPhone for a friend and I had to jailbreak/unlock it.

I like it, seems to run faster/smoother than 3.1.2, but a lot of my favorite themes don't work for various reasons...