PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Anyone got iphone 4 pre-ordered today? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125329)

orangekid 06-16-2010 06:18 PM

Re: Anyone got iphone 4 pre-ordered today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1819135)
My wife wants one, she is sick of her pre (I don't blame her). But we are going to wait to see if there is a CDMA announcement following the GSM release and hopefully get one on Sprint. If not, she will probably get an EVO like me.

If there's a CDMA release I will be on that like a vegan on tofu.

NIKKG 06-17-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1819135)
My wife wants one, she is sick of her pre (I don't blame her). But we are going to wait to see if there is a CDMA announcement following the GSM release and hopefully get one on Sprint. If not, she will probably get an EVO like me.

I don't think so, CDMA is dead. I think the next iphone will be LTE and can work on Verizon once they rollout their 4G. I bet Sprint will also drop WiMax later and switch to LTE so that they won't be left out.

mlin 06-17-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1820077)
I don't think so, CDMA is dead. I think the next iphone will be LTE and can work on Verizon once they rollout their 4G. I bet Sprint will also drop WiMax later and switch to LTE so that they won't be left out.

I think we'll see a CDMA iPhone before Verizon rolls out LTE. There are a lot of customers on Verizon that will not be upgrading phones immediately and there will be plenty of customers interested in a CDMA iPhone. In addition, LTE is backwards compatible to work with current CDMA protocol.

orangekid 06-17-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1820077)

Even when verizon get's an LTE chip in their devices, they will still be CDMA, so you will get data with no voice?

NIKKG 06-17-2010 11:02 AM

LTE is supposed to do both voice and data. The CDMA will only be used as a fallback in case you can't get LTE. Eventually, as LTE spreads, you won't need CDMA or GSM.

orangekid 06-17-2010 11:29 AM

I didn't know u could ride voice + data on LTE, that makes wimax even more obsolete

Certs 06-17-2010 03:09 PM

CDMA is going to be around for another few years, plenty of money to be made in that market right now.

Carla 06-18-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1819342)
If there's a CDMA release I will be on that like a vegan on tofu.

I love tofu!

maxdakota 06-18-2010 05:53 AM

I have not ordered yet. But I am waiting for the reduction in the price. So, I have to wait for I think 1 or 1.5 years. But, I will do it as I have decided to purchase the latest technology for me as I am very much fascinated by the retina display technology and the touch screen gadgets fascinates me from the beginning.