PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   how do you keep streaming while backgrounding/multitasking? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118544)

orangekid 04-19-2010 04:27 PM

how do you keep streaming while backgrounding/multitasking?

while using backgrounder with proswitcher (and I have tried other task managers that have the same effect) when I background pandora to switch to something else, like messaging, Pandora stops streaming music and I have to switch back to it for it to start back up again. This kind of defeats the purpose of using ProSwitcher (which I love). is there a setting I missed or a mod I missed that makes it so when I background Pandora it still streams music?

ducylowycz 04-19-2010 11:30 PM

Re: how do you keep streaming while backgrounding/multitasking?

I know this really doesn't help, but wait till 4.0 comes out

J/k, but it would have been nice awhile ago

orangekid 04-20-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducylowycz (Post 1708201)
I know this really doesn't help, but wait till 4.0 comes out

J/k, but it would have been nice awhile ago

well I have found some kinks, like if I use "Circuituous" if I switch to messaging iheartradio works fine, but while "backgrounded" before I switch tasks it shuts off, I know there's a way to do it...

yeah well when 4.0 comes out I am still going to have to wait for someone to JB it or flip the switch on multi-tasking for 3G, I am not going to go out and find a 3GS when the 4G version is about to come out.

Dr.8820 04-20-2010 09:22 AM

I don't know too much about the iphone, but is it like winmo where you can start one app, then start another with a start button....just a thought :).

orangekid 04-20-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1708607)
I don't know too much about the iphone, but is it like winmo where you can start one app, then start another with a start button....just a thought :).

it's actually nothing like that.

With an "out da bizzox" iphone, if you have an app open (lets say facebook) and you want to do ANYTHING, like even respond to a text message, you HAVE to close the facebook app, there is no start button or anything like that.

With a jailbroken iphone with "backgrounder" and "ProSwitcher" installed, when you have an app open (e.g. facebook) you can toggle in many ways (I use double tap the "home" key) a Palm Pre like task switcher that keeps you apps open while you switch tasks, or you can go to the "home screen" (in an iphone this is called the Springboard) and open a new app.

there are a couple other task switchers, but they all use "backgrounder" as a base mod to background apps. The cool thing is that they all use "activator" which links movements and buttons to tasks, so I could open up "proswitcher" and change tasks by just shaking my phone or tapping vol key, or swiping up or down, etc...

In most situations it works perfect, but in the case of Pandora, even while backgrounded and still open, it stops streaming.

This is most annoying with iheartradio, because I stream Jim Rome during the day sometimes on my phone and if I want to text or something it temporarily stops streaming. And like last friday I was not about to miss an epic phone call from vinnie mac...

Apparently OS4.0 has "real" multitasking, but they disallow it for Iphone 3G, only on 3GS, so we need the dev community to help unlock the ability to do so.

Dr.8820 04-20-2010 09:37 AM

ahh, sorry I couldn't help ya bro!

orangekid 04-20-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1708628)
ahh, sorry I couldn't help ya bro!

it's cool man, would have been awesome if that's all it was. When I was cooking a new ROM every week for my Diamond with OMJ's kitchen if I needed anything to change about my phone I would just mod it in the kitchen and cook a new ROM.

The iPhone is a different beast to tackle though, you need workarounds for everything.

I appreciate it though, some of my biggest breakthroughs were simple suggestions like that after which I felt like punching myself in the spleen twice for not having realized it sooner. :headbang:

Certs 04-22-2010 10:48 PM

Are you holding down the home button when exiting Pandora to enable backgrounding?

I use Kirikae and BG with no issues.

orangekid 04-23-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Certs (Post 1714412)
Are you holding down the home button when exiting Pandora to enable backgrounding?

I use Kirikae and BG with no issues.

yeah I was doin that but I haven't used kirakae, ill check it out.

orangekid 04-26-2010 10:56 AM

well there was an update in Cydia for backgrounder and activator and I don't know if they addressed it or what, but now I don't have any problems.

As soon as I background iheartradio while listening to Rome or what-have-you it keeps playing without skipping a beat, i can text, etc...