PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
no Iphone OS4 for 3G!!!

http://gizmodo.com/5512610/original-...to-iphone-os-4

wtf. this is insane.

no multitasking for phones they are still selling with 2 year contracts!?!

dear god I hope some devs get an ipsw file for the 3G that enables the 3GS stuff, this is just insane. I think I may just sell my Iphone and buy a 4G iphone later when they come out (and can be jailbroken and unlocked).

but this is really not cool. What the hell is wrong with you. I'm sure the reps aren't saying "dude this phone is not getting multitasking in 2 months but this one is" i mean why even sell a phone like that now.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: no Iphone OS4 for 3G!!!

I just see it as a way to make you all have to upgrade! I am glad I cancelled the contract a long time ago. I'm only using my Iphone through wifi now so no worries for me with this issue. I do think it's not fair for others not to get the update.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

multitasking on a lower-spec'd iPhone will bog it down too much and affect performance thus killing the user experience

that's what apple doesn't want, that and more money too
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Thanks! Both explanations make sense to me. But still, it's not fair
Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney1985 View Post
Thanks! Both explanations make sense to me. But still, it's not fair
true
seeing the iphone not do it for the 3g model actually makes me wonder the huge difference between the 3g/3g and 3Gs
Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!

great point. I bet orangekid has the answers. He seems to know a lot!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

well they billed the 3g iphone as a step up from the 2g. in that consideration, its like there is no diff so yea orange???

Sent from my XDANDROID using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Well lets take a look at this: I "multi-task" on the iphone 3G using backgrounder and and a task manager and have never had performance issues. The 3G-S runs a 600mhz 256 mb ram processor, a few sources claim the Iphone 3G runs a 412mhz processor with 128mb ram.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10263738-1.html

Now my Diamond ran 528mhz with 192mb ram and it multitasked beautifully. I could run opera, uno, play music and download a ROM at the same time with very little lag. You're telling me that an Iphone with a much smoother linux based OS and slightly worse specs cannot multitask at all??

the extra 128 RAM andlittle under 200 mhz processor really make that much of a difference?

why the hell are you still selling this thing to people on a 2 year contract if it is not even upgradable to your new OS. It's just so unethical IMO to do that. are the reps telling people that they may be saving $100 getting a 3G instead of a 3GS but in 3 months they can't even utilize the new upgrade?

Of course I'm not even on ATT, but this really still bugs me.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

duly noted and I am bugged too and I don't even like iphone like that (above the keyboard, zenonia and facebook app)
but this is a bit of a blow...like forcing everyone to upgrade with heavier prices on the plans ATT has...
At least with winmo, we went from 5 => 6.5.5 even on low end devices plus android looming over.
And while android has some fragmentation issues, most devices are either receiving full updates or unofficial ones...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Threadstarter

exactly. If I knew a developer could just make a freaking os4 ROM for my 3G I wouldn't really be mad, but you can't do that with Iphone OS. It's hard enough to jailbreak/unlock the damn thing, don't even think about taking an upgraded OS from the 3gs and porting over to the 3G. I'm on a mytouch3G right now and I am running a custom cooked android 2.1 beautifully (with my Live Wallpaper running pretty well), and I doubt this phone will ever get an official update.

Same thing with my Diamond. I was cooking 6.5 ROMs that ran smoother than silk and you know that phone ain't gettin no update (Spring doesn't even sell it anymore).

I think I'll just sell my 3G for some coin and get a used 3GS on the cheap or wait till the 4G comes out spend some poker winnings on it (I never feel bad wasting poker winnings).
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions